What's Your PT Review Technique?

Eichörnchen

What's Your PT Review Technique?

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 pm

After doing PT 15, I'm going through the test and wanted to write out a review (I've seen many suggest it). The last PT I took, I did it timed and then did it again untimed without looking at the answer sheet. While I think that gives good insights (especially for areas that are a struggle time-wise) I still wanted to do the whole write-out-why-I-got-it-wrong thing. So far, this is what I'm doing:
#11 – correct: Passage Reference
#12 – INCORRECT: Inference – I made the mistake of seeing an answer that could “almost” work and justifying it to myself (passage says women focused on a few specific topic such as health and games; the question says women dealt with “traditional topics”.)

I was just curious as to what you all do. Do you classify each question? Write why you got it right/wrong? I just want to make sure I'm doing this the best possible way.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Re: What's Your PT Review Technique?

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

That's pretty much what I do as well, except I like to look at the right answers as well. The reason I do this is that a lot of times when I am taking the test, I leave two or three as contenders, and sometimes I have to seriously consider which one is right. In a case like this, I will underline each contender, and circle the question number. When I go back to review, I treat these questions as if they were incorrect. Why? Because I almost got them wrong, and I don't want to leave something like that up to chance. LG's I just put into my review pile and do them as drills. I haven't really figured out a good technique for RC, because so many of my wrong answers are simply because I was rushed to finish.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:38 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:That's pretty much what I do as well, except I like to look at the right answers as well. The reason I do this is that a lot of times when I am taking the test, I leave two or three as contenders, and sometimes I have to seriously consider which one is right. In a case like this, I will underline each contender, and circle the question number. When I go back to review, I treat these questions as if they were incorrect. Why? Because I almost got them wrong, and I don't want to leave something like that up to chance. LG's I just put into my review pile and do them as drills. I haven't really figured out a good technique for RC, because so many of my wrong answers are simply because I was rushed to finish.

Good tips. I also write on my test and can see what I considered choosing. I cross out ones I instantly dismiss. On LR and RC I am pretty good with time, sometimes even having a bit extra. So I have the same problem as far as reviewing RC. With LR I can go through and see what I left as a contender and analyze why I almost chose it. I just don't know if it's necessary to go through each and type why I chose what I did because for example on this test I only got 3 LRs wrong alltogether, so many of them I eliminated all but one and got it right so I have no other contenders. But I know lots of people go through all the questons painstakingly so maybe I'm just lazy :). Sometimes I just don't remember a real pattern of reasoning; it's more just like I just read through it all and got it right. Maybe after I finish the LRB I'll have a better way to explain and analyze my process. I like your idea for games. I think I'll just do them until they make perfect sense. I feel like typing explanations for that would be a nightmare haha.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:That's pretty much what I do as well, except I like to look at the right answers as well. The reason I do this is that a lot of times when I am taking the test, I leave two or three as contenders, and sometimes I have to seriously consider which one is right. In a case like this, I will underline each contender, and circle the question number. When I go back to review, I treat these questions as if they were incorrect. Why? Because I almost got them wrong, and I don't want to leave something like that up to chance. LG's I just put into my review pile and do them as drills. I haven't really figured out a good technique for RC, because so many of my wrong answers are simply because I was rushed to finish.

I also like to review the questions I got correct, but wasn't confident in, or took too long on. For questions that I know the answer is correct, and I come to the conclusion as quickly as possible, I don't really go over them.

I have the same concern with reviewing RC. LG and LR are easy enough, just copy and save the problem, but RC would be problematic since its not like its one passage to one question...

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm

emarxnj wrote:

I also like to review the questions I got correct, but wasn't confident in, or took too long on. For questions that I know the answer is correct, and I come to the conclusion as quickly as possible, I don't really go over them.

I have the same concern with reviewing RC. LG and LR are easy enough, just copy and save the problem, but RC would be problematic since its not like its one passage to one question...

For RC I write a summary of each paragraph and then proceed the same way I correct LR, which is basically going over every single answer to the question I got wrong and explain why the correct one is correct and the wrong ones incorrect. It takes forever but it helps!

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm

mac35352 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

For RC I write a summary of each paragraph and then proceed the same way I correct LR, which is basically going over every single answer to the question I got wrong and explain why the correct one is correct and the wrong ones incorrect. It takes forever but it helps!

Good top, but yeah it seems time consuming. I guess if RC turns out to be a real problem area I'll make time though!

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

emarxnj wrote:
mac35352 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Good top, but yeah it seems time consuming. I guess if RC turns out to be a real problem area I'll make time though!

BTW, How is Franklin doing? LOL! Great the avatar!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:40 pm

mac35352 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Yea good ideas. Some questions I have a clear reason for why I went about choosing the wrong answer, but for RC, sometimes I feel like "umm. I just got it wrong..." like for example "Which of the following books would most interest this author?" I'm sure there's a methodology that I could correct but it's a lot harder to pinpoint than LR. I guess practie will make perfect (hopefully).

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:21 pm

mac35352 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
mac35352 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I also like to review the questions I got correct, but wasn't confident in, or took too long on. For questions that I know the answer is correct, and I come to the conclusion as quickly as possible, I don't really go over them.

Y'know what he says, it aint easy :)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Haha I love your 'tar too. My favorite Franklin line : I ain't goin to your tight-ass country club you FREAK BITCH!

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

Haha I love your 'tar too. My favorite Franklin line : I ain't goin to your tight-ass country club you FREAK BITCH!

Haaa! You just made my day!

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:00 pm

I usually follow the guidelines with this proctor video from manhattan: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/recordings ... player.cfm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”