Warning: Do not blow off the writing section. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Warning: Do not blow off the writing section.

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:19 pm

kwais wrote:If you are serious about going to law school, take everything involved with it seriously. Any other sentiment is bs. Also, if you blow it off because some dbags on an internet forum said it isn't important, you suck at life.
Not what anyone said at all. It matters only to the extent that you aren't supposed to blow it off. It is not a priority. One LSAT point matters 1,305,029 times more.

And I'm not a dbag. Thanks for playing though.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm

There is no fucking way Northwestern Deans read the writing sample. They don't even read letters of rec. and I really doubt they read a personal statement.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:There is no fucking way Northwestern Deans read the writing sample. They don't even read letters of rec. and I really doubt they read a personal statement.
yeah sure

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:34 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:And one of my favorites for Why do people spend 15+ minutes on the writing sample?
sundance95 wrote:Because some people, when told they have to do something, believe they may as well do it as well as they possibly can.

So crazy I know LOLOL!!!!1!one! Don't they know they can cynically adopt an unjustified sense of superiority and bomb it with no consequences?
I like this as well.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:There is no fucking way Northwestern Deans read the writing sample. They don't even read letters of rec. and I really doubt they read a personal statement.
yeah sure
2500 posts and no avatar?

Our Deans are incompetent and lazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sighsigh

Bronze

Post by sighsigh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm

So relating this topic to issues of LSAT preperation...what does one recommend one does in order to prepare for the writing sample? Should I write 2-3 practice ones from preptests?

Hmm, the LSAT Blog says to do nothing...

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/st ... cored.html

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 pm

sighsigh wrote:So relating this topic to issues of LSAT preperation...what does one recommend one does in order to prepare for the writing sample? Should I write 2-3 practice ones from preptests?

If you do nothing, it's not an issue. TCR is probably just to spend a couple of minutes to look over one or two so you know what you are dealing with. I did a couple for the hell of it on the .00001% chance it would actually affect an admissions outcome. I figured the time spent doing that wasn't wasted anymore than it would have been by watching Varsity Blues for the hundredth time or something of the like.

timmah427

New

Post by timmah427 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm

sighsigh wrote:So relating this topic to issues of LSAT preperation...what does one recommend one does in order to prepare for the writing sample? Should I write 2-3 practice ones from preptests?

Just read one of the past prompts to get a feel for what it will be like. No need to practice.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

I figured that four years of college should be enough to do fine on the writing sample...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:50 pm

emarxnj wrote:I figured that four years of college should be enough to do fine on the writing sample...
They are for most people. Just try on the actual day, that's it.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 pm

minnesotasam wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I figured that four years of college should be enough to do fine on the writing sample...
This thread reminds me of those funny test answers. Like the physics problem where the kid draws an elephant and just writes "No, theirs an elephant in the way". I'm picturing someone doing that for a writing section except "I cant write, theirs an elephant in the way".

...I felt that was a solid contribution to the thread

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:23 pm

emarxnj wrote:
minnesotasam wrote:
This thread reminds me of those funny test answers. Like the physics problem where the kid draws an elephant and just writes "No, theirs an elephant in the way". I'm picturing someone doing that for a writing section except "I cant write, theirs an elephant in the way".

...I felt that was a solid contribution to the thread

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm

So you say, I got a full scholarship to northwestern TODAY (which is what made me look on the tls interview and then make this thread) The letter specifically mentioned my letter of recommendations.

Back on point, I was never saying to obsess over or even practice the writing sample. My only point was not to blow it off because it is looked down on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Are you trying to out-"Northwestern" DF?

Lol...

Mase

New

Post by Mase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:10 pm

I know a guy who got a 165. He never studied so I was shocked. I asked him how he did it. He said, 'Dude, I killed the writing section.' :? He then proceeded to share his argument on the writing section. I said that isn't scored. He said he didn't know how they scored it, because it was an undisclosed test.

CattyPake

New

Post by CattyPake » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 am

Mase wrote:I know a guy who got a 165. He never studied so I was shocked. I asked him how he did it. He said, 'Dude, I killed the writing section.' :? He then proceeded to share his argument on the writing section. I said that isn't scored. He said he didn't know how they scored it, because it was an undisclosed test.
Haha I'm glad they don't score the writing sample like they do on the SAT. But seriously I don't know why anyone would purposely screw up their writing section. A house with a chimney is a lot more noticeable than a mediocre essay.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:11 am

CattyPake wrote:
Mase wrote:I know a guy who got a 165. He never studied so I was shocked. I asked him how he did it. He said, 'Dude, I killed the writing section.' :? He then proceeded to share his argument on the writing section. I said that isn't scored. He said he didn't know how they scored it, because it was an undisclosed test.
Haha I'm glad they don't score the writing sample like they do on the SAT. But seriously I don't know why anyone would purposely screw up their writing section. A house with a chimney is a lot more noticeable than a mediocre essay.

The attitude that says "if it is not scored/doesn't count then why should I care." Or essentially "FU"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:13 am

Andrzej wrote:Ive taken test and writing section is easy if you understand what ever dean wants. EVERY dean wants good professional student who can write and PROCESS ALL INFORMATION. key to good writing on test is writing for a reader who is dean and thinking of dean in your paper.
What is your stance on savings the money?

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 am

I think the writing samples have to do with advocating for a certain position on something if I recall and I think my prose was quite cocky. I might have written it in the way I imagine some courtroom drama playing out, but in neat handwriting with nice looking paragraphs. So I guess as long as your essay looks the part...But I don't think cocky prose is that big a deal-I *think* it was well-written. But my brain was fried.

thedive

Bronze

Post by thedive » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 am

I wrote mine in perfect Chinese like it was an eight-legged exam.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 am

suspicious android wrote:
Andrzej wrote:Ive taken test and writing section is easy if you understand what ever dean wants. EVERY dean wants good professional student who can write and PROCESS ALL INFORMATION. key to good writing on test is writing for a reader who is dean and thinking of dean in your paper.
What is your stance on savings the money?

Is avoiding the use of "the" important as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am

Desert Fox wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
yeah sure
2500 posts and no avatar?

Our Deans are incompetent and lazy.
I'd rather have no avatar than one of a Nazi commander with a feels good man face over it.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

romothesavior wrote:
kwais wrote:If you are serious about going to law school, take everything involved with it seriously. Any other sentiment is bs. Also, if you blow it off because some dbags on an internet forum said it isn't important, you suck at life.
Not what anyone said at all. It matters only to the extent that you aren't supposed to blow it off. It is not a priority. One LSAT point matters 1,305,029 times more.

And I'm not a dbag. Thanks for playing though.
I was not referring to you. Last fall there was a big thread where many people explicitly said "blow if off or you're a tool" I was speaking of these such idiots. Oh, and thanks, I enjoyed playing!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 am

In Soviet Russia Dean write for you.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:14 pm

I studied for this section more than the other sections. Too vague and easy to goof up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”