Taking the test a 4th time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SLS_AMG

Bronze

Taking the test a 4th time?

Post by SLS_AMG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 am

I'm considering taking the test a 4th time, but I wanted to get a general opinion from the very knowledgeable posters on this site before committing. :D

I've taken the test 3 times before, canceling the first score, then following up with a 164 and, in February, a 168. My GPA is around a 3.82, and I'd love to go somewhere like Michigan or Duke, but I feel that I am very borderline at this point. Furthermore, I know that even if I did get in, I'd likely get no scholarship money whatsoever.

That being said, I can't decide whether to risk taking the test again to go for a 170+. Would a fourth test look much worse than only 3? And how much would a score lower than my 168 hurt my chances at some of the top schools?

I know the common answer is probably going to be "retake if you can get your average above 170," but I've used up ALL of the recent tests (40-61) in the last 6 months, and I'm afraid I'll have no material to practice on that won't artificially inflate my score (seeing as I've already seen/reviewed all those recent questions already). Obviously, this would make my actual progress much harder to track than it would have been before the first, second, or even third test. Help? :mrgreen:

glewz

Silver

Re: Taking the test a 4th time?

Post by glewz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 am

I'd find out whether your law schools in question average scores. (But even then, an additional <168 score casts negatives on your app)

Tough call, but I would first apply to both schools while studying for the Feb exam. If WL or in, then your additional score comes in handy for scholarship negotiation. If immediately out, (prior to LSAT results) go to CCN with your 170+.

The reason why I suggested the Feb exam is because regardless of a <168 score, schools will have already probably put you on WL/admit. (though I am assuming that the time table for an admission decision is January-ish for the early bird applicant - and I further assume that you will apply right away. if the former assumption is incorrect, and admission decisions come out earlier, then of course take the Dec test.)

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Anyone else have any anecdotal success stories related to a 4th test sitting or any further advice in general?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:52 pm

I don't believe you'll be able to sit for another exam - as far as I know, a cancellation uses up one of your 3 in 2 years. Unless I'm messing up your timeline (or the rules have changed because of the postponement deadline changes).

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:58 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:Anyone else have any anecdotal success stories related to a 4th test sitting or any further advice in general?
This has happened on many occasions by students who ask a law school to sponsor/vouch for them. It's possible for sure. I forget the procedure (search the TLS forum and I'm sure you can find it).

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 pm

1. Don't worry about reusing old tests. Start with the tests in the 30s, then slowly work your way up, first doing those tests you remember the least.
2. Re 4th time see this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=147539

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”