Mired in this cycle - still retake in June?

Spookyghost

Mired in this cycle - still retake in June?

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:22 pm

So, despite the fact that I said I was never going to take the LSAT again, I figured, what the hell? By June I would imagine that I will be on some WLs, and for the schools I am accepted or rejected from, it can't really have any bearing can it? I figure maybe a strong LSAT (shooting for a 173 from a 163) will push me through a WL at some point in this cycle, and if I do really well and don't like my options I could always reapply next year.

Is this a terrible idea? I'm not exactly bursting at the seams with offers from upper echelon schools with a 163/3.05. Originally I had plans to incur some debt and go to a lower T1, but assuming I kill this LSAT it may open a lot more doors NEXT cycle, and maybe even some late in this cycle.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this plan? Is there some detrimental factor I am overlooking?

Obviously schools that have rejected me aren't going to un-reject me, and schools that accepted me, by time scores roll out in July, are probably not going to give me more money, but it's really a matter of if I do substantially better I would try applying to better schools NEXT cycle.

This is a poorly worded post, I apologize, in a hurry.

FuManChusco

Re: Mired in this cycle - still retake in June?

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

retake. were you really PTing as high as 173? if that's the case this question is absurd.

VTarmyjag

Postby VTarmyjag » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Last edited by VTarmyjag on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

VTarmyjag wrote:Is retaking in June with the hopes of getting off a WL this cycle really worth it? Do many people do that? I've been thinking about it but I assume, just like OP, that most of the slots and money will be gone by July...

I have heard mostly that it isn't worth it, but it's also one of those "nothing to lose" moments. If you do worse than you did (which in my case probably isn't possible, but if you're already in the upper 160s lower 170s it's a real possibility) I doubt it will affect anything, and if you do better maybe it will bump you off of a WL.

If you do significantly better, at least in my case, I might consider withdrawing all around and trying again for an ED to somewhere much better than I am looking at now.

downing

Postby downing » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 am

I'm retaking in June, though I got into a school I'm interested in (UConn).
So I'm going to save a seat, take the test, and hope that more options open up. If I do worse or about the same as before, I'll still have a place to go.
Why not? If you can afford the ticket and you are able to study and do better, I don't see why you shouldn't take it again.
btw, my stats: 3.24, 1st LSAT: 159; 2nd LSAT: 165; 3rd LSAT: hopefully 170+

The way I see it, only a few things could happen:
You do worse - go to one of the schools that already accepted you.
You do better - get off the waitlist, maybe get a scholarship, or apply for next year and get into better law schools.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm also retaking in June. I have been admitted to where I plan on going with scholarship, I'm just taking the LSAT again for 3 reasons.

1. It's free (Fee Waiver)
2. A higher score would earn me more merit money, according to the dean of admissions that I spoke with.
3. I'm kinda pissed at myself for not doing as well as I thought I should on the LSAT.

So even if I do worse, I won't lose any money, and if I do better, I stand to receive even more money. I'm already at about a 60% scholarship with my LSAT right at the 75%. So if I do really, really well then I could potentially withdraw and apple early next cycle to a higher ranked school and potentially receive more money. So essentially nothing to lose with everything to gain. Still, I hate the LSAT...Studying the LR Bible right now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”