How good/bad is my retake study plan?

rosewood

How good/bad is my retake study plan?

Postby rosewood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Some background first:

I scored 167 last June. I took a Princeton Review course but I didn't really work on the course while taking it. I studied for a month (doing all the questions and taking a lot of practice exams) and got 167. The highest PT score would be like 173 or so, but for the most part I was around high 160's. I *have* scored perfect on each of the sections, just on different tests. Meaning, there isn't really a particular section I am bad or spectacular at, it really just depends on the test, how I am feeling, etc. I guess that's the same for most people around my range.

I am retaking because I have a 3.8 GPA and would like to shoot for the T14s. I didn't get in where I wanted to this cycle, and whether it's for pushing for some of the waitlisted schools (like Columbia or UPenn) or reapplying next cycle, I am taking the June test.

Since I have an extremely chill schedule this semester (think, basically, that I have one class) so this is the plan I have (after reorienting myself with the test this week, I am going to start this next week):

Sunday: one full-length exam
Monday: check wrong answers on previous test, two timed sections and check answers
Tuesday: one full-length exam, one timed section and check answers
Wednesday: check wrong answers on previous test, two timed sections and check answers
Thursday: one full-length exam and check for answers
Friday: Retake lowest scoring test from Sun/Tues/Thurs, check for answers
Saturday: Nothing

While studying for the past exam, I think I took every single real LSAT PT out by then minus maybe two. So I would have seen most of these questions at some point, but I suppose the whole point is repetition, to increase accuracy.

So what do you think? Is this a good plan? Is it too ambitious? Or not enough? Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Re: How good/bad is my retake study plan?

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 pm

It's hard to say. Try it for a week and see what happens?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

rosewood wrote:Some background first:
I *have* scored perfect on each of the sections, just on different tests. Meaning, there isn't really a particular section I am bad or spectacular at, it really just depends on the test, how I am feeling, etc.

When I have students tell me this, I usually focus a lot (read: A LOT) of time on diagnosing what they're doing wrong. The variance generally has less to do with how they were feeling at the time/when in the exam the section was, and a lot more to do with either a specific question type or (and this one is usually the case) a specific feature of the question. For instance, diagramming is a big one; recognizing certain types of assumptions; certain topics that distract the person; etc... I would spend some time (some serious time) going over the exams that you've already taken and checking for similarities to focus on in your retake study plan. That's generally time much better spent.

Good luck!

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 pm

bp shinners wrote:
rosewood wrote:Some background first:
I *have* scored perfect on each of the sections, just on different tests. Meaning, there isn't really a particular section I am bad or spectacular at, it really just depends on the test, how I am feeling, etc.

When I have students tell me this, I usually focus a lot (read: A LOT) of time on diagnosing what they're doing wrong. The variance generally has less to do with how they were feeling at the time/when in the exam the section was, and a lot more to do with either a specific question type or (and this one is usually the case) a specific feature of the question. For instance, diagramming is a big one; recognizing certain types of assumptions; certain topics that distract the person; etc... I would spend some time (some serious time) going over the exams that you've already taken and checking for similarities to focus on in your retake study plan. That's generally time much better spent.

Good luck!

I have noticed this in particular. If the subject is science or economics regardless of the difficulty or the type of question I get it wrong or take way too long on it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”