First time 166...Retake?

CattyPake

First time 166...Retake?

Postby CattyPake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:04 am

I took the LSAT this Feb. and got a 166. From my PT, I was expecting a 167-169. My douchey roommate had her friends over the night before even though I told her I was taking the LSAT and I completely freaked out over that.

A 166 is at the median of most of the schools I'm seriously considering but I also need scholarship money. I'm a junior so I could retake in June, though I'm not sure if I'll have time to seriously study until after finals. I just really don't want to go through the whole process again because I'm terrified that I'll do worse.

I know that a 166 is considered a "bad" score on TLS but I'm not aiming for T14 schools so should I still retake?

FeelTheHeat

Re: First time 166...Retake?

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

Before retake...

what is your GPA?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am

It doesn't sound like your actual score differed substantially from what you were PT-ing. The 1-3 point difference can be just as easily explained through test anxiety and normal variance from test to test.

166 isn't considered a bad score, even on TLS.

To answer the question though - we would have to know what your goals are, what your uGPA is. If you're not shooting for the top echelon of schools and you have a respectable gpa, you may be fine.

That being said, you don't lose much, if anything, in retaking (unless you're at one of the schools that averages, and most do not anymore). Really the only cost to you are the test fee (which is pretty marginal) and the opportunity cost of not being able to have as much fun as you normally would.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am

Yes, you should retake. If you have time to study as much as possible, take in June. If not, take it in Sept/Oct. Even if you really aren't interested in the T14, you can make yourself competitive for a lot of scholarship money if you get a higher score that you should be capable of doing. Just think of studying for it as a job, since just a few points higher could translate into thousands of dollars for schools in the 20-30 range.

Also- try to work on your stress management. Think of this as extra prep time to work on handling high-pressure tests (aka what you will be doing every semester in law school).

edit:
Also- try to get your practice scores consistently in the low 170s before retaking.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:11 am

Whoops should have included this.
I haven't officially calculated but my current GPA is 3. 78. However, my freshman year GPA was a 3.33 (I transferred schools after freshman year)

Edit: Thanks for the advice guys but will it look bad if I retake and score the same/lower than my original score?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:17 am

CattyPake wrote:Whoops should have included this.
I haven't officially calculated but my current GPA is 3. 78. However, my freshman year GPA was a 3.33 (I transferred schools after freshman year)

Edit: Thanks for the advice guys but will it look bad if I retake and score the same/lower than my original score?

The above poster made an excellent point with the practice tests. If you are not consistently breaking 170 comfortably, I would advise against a retake. 166 is a fine score (also what I got lol), with your GPA you could have some serious T14 consideration with 5 more points but those 5 points can be difficult to get depending on how much you think you maximized your potential.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 am

CattyPake wrote:will it look bad if I retake and score the same/lower than my original score?

Most schools in the 20-30 range won't care. Avoid the problem all together by putting in a ton of prep though. If you haven't gone through most of the preptests, then you need to be doing that. Save most recent tests (even if you already took them in the past) for weeks before real test. Go here if you've gone through all the tests: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/inde ... 343.0.html

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
166 is a fine score (also what I got lol),

Yay 166s! It's weird but I feel like a 167 "sounds" better than a 166, even though its a one point difference.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:24 am

CattyPake wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
166 is a fine score (also what I got lol),

Yay 166s! It's weird but I feel like a 167 "sounds" better than a 166, even though its a one point difference.

I'm definitely not a psychology major, but I think its an odd number thing lol

I felt like a fucking beast with a 166 till I came on TLS lol

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:29 am

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm at least going to take some PTs and see how I'm doing now (I knew I kept all my old practice stuff for a reason :? )
FeelTheHeat wrote:

I'm definitely not a psychology major, but I think its an odd number thing lol

I felt like a fucking beast with a 166 till I came on TLS lol

ME TOO. I think the first person on the Feb results thread who posted they got a 166 also posted that they were retaking ha

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:33 am

Are your freshman year grades counted towards your current school's GPA? That could be the difference between an LSGPA of ~3.8 or ~3.6.

The LSAC requires and counts all grades from institutions you attended. In my case this boosted my LSGPA from a 3.1 to a 3.4 due to classes I had taken before college at a local community college.

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 am

kapital98 wrote:Are your freshman year grades counted towards your current school's GPA? That could be the difference between an LSGPA of ~3.8 or ~3.6.

The LSAC requires and counts all grades from institutions you attended. In my case this boosted my LSGPA from a 3.1 to a 3.4 due to classes I had taken before college at a local community college.

No, my current school doesn't count my freshman grades but I know the LSAC does so altogether my GPA would be lowered.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 am

That's too bad. A ~3.6 is still fine for the schools your looking at. It will also show an upward trend.

Regarding the retake: Only retake if you can do significantly better. If your practice tests were slightly above the real test you either need to be content with your score or reexamine the way your attacking the LSAT. Most people do not significantly improve their score when retaking.

The first time I took the LSAT I bombed the logic games and felt too pressured. I wound up with a 157. I was practice testing in the high 160's (164-169). When I took it in February I bombed the logic games section again (AWFUL) but aced everything else. That increased my score to a 162. I'm contemplating a retake but only if I'm willing to make _sure_ I master logic games (I'm usually pretty good at them but always freeze on the real thing.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”