Stressed about June...wait till October?

leche

Stressed about June...wait till October?

Postby leche » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 am

I was all set to retake the June LSAT after a disappointing 159 in Feb. At the time I decided I had 3 months to study, which seemed like plenty of time, since it would be nothing but review and honing skills I already had. Well now March is almost over and I am not nearly where I'd like to be in my study plans. Between now and June 6th, I am going on vacation for 5 days in April (where I might be able to study but would rather not), have to be in an out-of-town wedding the weekend before the test, and will be working a lot more due to warmer weather (I work at a restaurant with outdoor seating). I have become an insomniac in the last week worrying about all this! I really wanted to take it in June because of the 12:30 start time (I am not a morning person), but what do you think? Should I wait till October?

BlaqBella

Re: Stressed about June...wait till October?

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:43 am

Whether its June or October only retake when you are ready and consistently scoring in the range that you want to. I suggest you still shoot for June and if that fails, October. Definitely get cracking on a regular self-study schedule ASAP, though.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 am

i say wait until october. You have a busy schedule coming up, and if you put more pressure on yourself you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Enjoy your vacation, get a good work schedule and routine ( if possible) and relax. Start studying when you can now, just to keep yourself in the LSAT mindset, but dont ramp it up until end of July/ August. This way you can make as much money as possible and be mentally ready to fully commitment yourself to prep. Best of luck ( and if you dont like october, send your apps out anyways and take it again in december)

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:35 pm

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:49 pm

I think you should really try for June, and then if you have a disappointing test, you can retake one last time in October. When I was studying for the LSAT, I would just double-up my studying on other days if I had to go out of town.

Example-- for the two weeks following your April 5-day vacation, take the amount of hours you planned to study those 5 days (let's just say 15- 5 days/3 hours a day) and add them to the two weeks. Say you always study 15 hours a week, study 23 hours for the next two weeks instead. That works out to roughly 4.5 hours a day, 5 days a week for two weeks instead of 3 hours/5 days a week. Hopefully that was not confusing.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Plan for June, you can always take it again in October.

What are your goals for the test? And where are you PTing relative to that mark?

leche

Postby leche » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm

minnbills wrote:Plan for June, you can always take it again in October.

What are your goals for the test? And where are you PTing relative to that mark?

Haven't even gotten to PT's yet; still doing Powerscore Bibles, etc. Last time around I was PTing in the high 160's. My goal this time is at least 170, hopefully higher.

Will it look horrible to take it a third time if I do screw up?

Clarity

Postby Clarity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 am

leche wrote:
minnbills wrote:Plan for June, you can always take it again in October.

Haven't even gotten to PT's yet; still doing Powerscore Bibles, etc. Last time around I was PTing in the high 160's. My goal this time is at least 170, hopefully higher.

Will it look horrible to take it a third time if I do screw up?

I am having pretty much the same dilemma as you are in regards to taking in June or waiting until October. I would suggest that you see where you are PTing closer to the change date deadline (May 15th I believe) and if you aren't PTing where you want to be then change the date to October.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”