WTF LSAC? question regarding discrepency? or is it?

suspicious android

Re: WTF LSAC? question regarding discrepency? or is it?

Postby suspicious android » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:05 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Dunning Krueger Effect, the official cognitive bias of the Internet!

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 pm

fltanglab wrote:
EarlCat wrote:
fltanglab wrote:If ALL A's were less than B's, then they'd say so.

Since when? If all As are less than B's, aren't most of said A's also less than B's?

No, ALL of them are. "Most" implies that some aren't. If there's any room for uncertainty, then you can't assume that "most" actually means "all." It's like saying most people score below a 170. That doesn't mean everyone scores below a 170. It means some people score above or at a 170, but most people score below a 170.

You can't assume "most" means "all." However, you can make a "most" inference from an "all" statement. E.g., from the statement: "All the students in Ms. Smith's class failed the exam," we can infer that "Most students in Ms. Smith's class failed the exam." Thus, "most" does not imply that some aren't.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 pm

suspicious android wrote:I found this thread extremely amusing. Good response from Jeffort, he saw it all happening in advance, like some Jedi-level shit. Take home lesson: do not paraphrase when looking for help with an LSAT question.

Thanks for the compliment. :D

I did grow up on star wars movies (I was reading the return of the jedi book during the hours I had to wait in line to see it opening day) and do admit that I consciously tried to use the force many times (successfully) when taking tests in grade school, HS, college, on law school finals, and most especially when I took the LSAT! I still have my lucky pencil I used a long time ago on a test day far far away that is the same one I used for all the practice tests I took in the last two weeks before that final scored battle. It is a blue colored #2 pencil since I think that is the correct color for a good light saber rather than green like they went with, especially with a sudden last minute change in the name of the movie from revenge to return.

However, as much as the force helps me with academics and anticipating related courses of events, the powers don't seem to be very effective for anticipating or predicting how women I get in relationships with will react to things I say and do or don't say or do in a way to guide me to giving TCR at the critical moments. Jedi skills have failed to be useful in that arena except for suddenly alerting me, a bit late to back out, that what I'm facing in the situation is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY0ClsW1QX4
Last edited by Jeffort on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:21 pm

I found this old video of you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJOVPjhXMY

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 pm

EarlCat wrote:I found this old video of you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJOVPjhXMY

lol. Before the link opened I was scared that you had actually found the old video of me when I was on Peoples Court with judge Wapner way back when! Thank god that wasn't it. Even though we won the case, the editing crew didn't do me any favors with the cuts.

During college I worked in an electronics store and that episode was in heavy repeat rotation and the sales people in the TV department would tune all 100+ TV's to the channel every time it came on and make announcements over the store PA system to alert everyone. That was really embarrassing, especially since all the customers, including ones I was trying to sell a car stereo to at the time would rush over to the TV's.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Jeffort wrote:lol. Before the link opened I was scared that you had actually found the old video of me when I was on Peoples Court with judge Wapner way back when! Thank god that wasn't it. Even though we won the case, the editing crew didn't do me any favors with the cuts.

During college I worked in an electronics store and that episode was in heavy repeat rotation and the sales people in the TV department would tune all 100+ TV's to the channel every time it came on and make announcements over the store PA system to alert everyone. That was really embarrassing, especially since all the customers, including ones I was trying to sell a car stereo to at the time would rush over to the TV's.

hahahahahahaha

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”