Logical Reasoning Bible Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Logical Reasoning Bible

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm

First, let me say that I know there are probably threads on this elsewhere, but I'm using my phone, so I apologize.

I'm retaking the LSAT in june in hopes of raising my score and getting additional scholarship money. I've spoken with my target school and they said they would take the score for additional scholarship consideration.

That being said, the LR section is my weak link. I just purchased the LRB and will start going through it as soon as I get it in the mail. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to improve on this section, aside from using the LRB.

Thanks for any advice.

Verity

Silver

Re: Logical Reasoning Bible

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:First, let me say that I know there are probably threads on this elsewhere, but I'm using my phone, so I apologize.

I'm retaking the LSAT in june in hopes of raising my score and getting additional scholarship money. I've spoken with my target school and they said they would take the score for additional scholarship consideration.

That being said, the LR section is my weak link. I just purchased the LRB and will start going through it as soon as I get it in the mail. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to improve on this section, aside from using the LRB.

Thanks for any advice.

Best advice is to just do as many practice tests as humanly possible. That sounds simplistic, but there is no magic approach. The LRB is great, and you should read through it carefully a few times to understand the forms and patterns, but you need to do actual sections (a lot of them) under real conditions. Then - and this is key - go back and figure out why you were wrong on the ones you didn't get. This also goes for the ones on which you correctly guessed. Do this for months. Literally.

I started cold at a 151, and worked for months to end up with a 176. Practice does make perfect, or at least close to perfect.

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Sounds solid. I started taking the ones I got wrong and keeping them with me, taking then out when I had free time and dissecting why I got it wrong. That's awesome on the 176. I would be content with 165-170. To do that I need to being down my LR to missing just a few on each. Thanks again!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:To do that I need to being down my LR to missing just a few on each.

Yeah, and it's possible. After I started regular practice tests, I bought the Kaplan 180 book and went through that a few times. Oddly, after that I was getting every question past about #11 correct (i.e., all of the ones considered medium-very high difficulty), and was making stupid mistakes on easy questions. Then I went back and kept doing PTs, not taking the easy ones for granted. I only got one LR question wrong out of two section, as opposed to about 14 when I started.

I always tell people not to underestimate the importance of the LSAT. For a lot of schools, it's even more important than GPA (I know some splitters with sub-2.5s and 170+s that got major $$$ at T20s). It may very well determine the course of your future, so take as much time as you need to master it, and then retake and apply. I don't know if you've been accepted at your "target" school, but if you have, seriously, a +2 point bump could mean the difference of tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships, depending on the school and the LSAT range in question.

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

I definitely agree. I scored at the 75% percentile for my target school, and I've been accepted. I just want to try to bump my LSAT up at least a few points, because it does indeed mean the difference in thousands of dollars. I have about a 1/2 tuition scholly right now, and I know that if I rocked the LSAT that It could very well mean much more money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Manhattan LSAT's LR Guide. Buy it.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Second, all of Manhattan's LSAT books are excellent!

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:16 pm

99.9luft wrote:Manhattan LSAT's LR Guide. Buy it.
what does manhattan's have that LR bible doesn't?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

aquyenl wrote:
what does manhattan's have that LR bible doesn't?
More intricate, nuanced, and as a result, superior methodology.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 pm

One other thing: don't rely on non-LSAC materials too much. Study actual questions from prior tests, especially recent ones. I felt a very subtle but important difference in the wording and construction of most questions that came from proprietary study materials, compared to the real questions. And see Kurst's helpful reply above.

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for all of the advice!

Clarity

Bronze

Post by Clarity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 am

Not related to the OP but would you recommend Manhattan's LSAT RC and LG Guides as well?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:02 am

Clarity wrote:Not related to the OP but would you recommend Manhattan's LSAT RC and LG Guides as well?
Reviews of Atlas/Manhattan LSAT's guides: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3931526

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Clarity wrote:
Not related to the OP but would you recommend Manhattan's LSAT RC and LG Guides as well?
Rc guide yes. Haven't seen the lg guide, so cannot recommend that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”