143 Testmasters Diagnostic..discouraged and scared shitless

mbkc03

143 Testmasters Diagnostic..discouraged and scared shitless

Postby mbkc03 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:24 am

I've been using the powerscore bibles for a month and a half to prep myself. Having enrolled in a Testmasters prep course, I scored 143 on the first diagnostic. My goal is to get a score of 164 on the real thing. With the diagnostic score as low as it is, is it realstic to get the 164?
Last edited by mbkc03 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Re: 143 Testmasters Diagnostic..discouraged and scared shitless

Postby glewz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:31 am

Friend went from 151 to 180 on a TM course. Another friend (non-native speaker) worked real hard and went from 143 to high 160s. (also TM course)

You need to work hard & do nearly all your homework though. Definitely doable, especially if your weak section is logic games.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:33 am

first, don't be scared...
second, get all the preptests and do them and redo them -- you don't need waste $$$ on an LSAT class, self-study is the best way to go for the LSAT IMHO...

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 am

dpk711 wrote:first, don't be scared...
second, get all the preptests and do them and redo them -- you don't need waste $$$ on an LSAT class, self-study is the best way to go for the LSAT IMHO...

disagree with the "do prep tests x 100" philosophy. Obviously since OP already tried the bibles, something's not clicking, whether this points to discipline or methodology. I think in his/her case, a class is a reasonable investment.

mbkc03

Postby mbkc03 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:45 am

glewz wrote:

disagree with the "do prep tests x 100" philosophy. Obviously since OP already tried the bibles, something's not clicking, whether this points to discipline or methodology. I think in his/her case, a class is a reasonable investment.

I'm in the class already. Today was the first day hence the diag score.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 am

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 am

glewz wrote:

I think a class vs. self-study is something that people need to decide for themselves. Some people need the discipline and assistance that a class can provide.

Also, just going through the bibles does not mean that your score is going to shoot up. You need to go through them and make sure you're doing all of the drills and practice within the books and then do more practice outside of it. My original diagnostic was a 141 and I ended up with a 161 (2nd LSAT), it's definitely possible to get into the range you are shooting for and a low diagnostic shouldn't discourage you. It just means you may have to put in a little more work than others have had to put in for the same score.

There is a ton of information on here and many people who are willing to help. Good luck!

mchuynh

Postby mchuynh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 am

I improved 20 points. I was a bit discouraged after my first TM diag ( i went over the bibles before my first diag too) because I got a really low score... but yeah just go to all the classes, attend the review sessions, do their homework and you'll definitely improve! good luck

privatemf

Postby privatemf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 am

mbkc03 wrote:I've been using the powerscore bibles for a month and a half to prep myself. Having enrolled in a Testmasters prep course, I scored 143 on the first diagnostic. My goal is to get a score of 164 on the real thing. With the diagnostic score as low as it is, is it realstic to get the 164?

I am right there with you, but I am using the LSAT Blogs schedule. They require the Bibles and I think that some of the material being that is so new has to really sunk in. So I see myself making improvements but it is slow coming. I can't wait to hear about your progess.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:06 am

Do about 8 preptests, then do the bibles. You need to be fully familiar with the test before you read a book on it IMHO. Then do the rest of the preptests and dont get caught up on the newest ones being a little different in some sections (LG a little easier, RC a little tougher). Self study and be strict on timing yourself, but dont feeel bad to take a whole test untimed just to see how you do, it helps build confidence.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:57 am

Jesus, do half the people not even read the original post? He's already in a class.

Anyway, a 21 point improvement is possible, I've had lots of students make that kind of jump. But keep in mind, most people do not make that kind of improvement, you're going to need to work really hard and devote yourself to understanding the LSAT and what you need to change about your own thinking/reading style to improve.

lawschoolman1

Postby lawschoolman1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 am

FWIW I think the most important thing is to figure out what method works best for you in order to improve. Some might just need to take a crazy amount of tests and others will have to do something different. I will say in my case, I learn faster and better when I have an intructor or at least some type of interaction. Just figure out what works for you and tune out the noise on here.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 am

143 isn't too bad actually - and definitely don't be scared. Is this your first LSAT diagnostic? Hey, I started at a 138 and eventually clawed my way to a 154...

A month and a half isn't nearly enough time to learn the material anyway. Depending on what kind of academic skills you have, it may take several months to start scoring where you want.

Stick with the powerscore bibles and take as many practice tests as you can. Immerse yourself in the LSAT world.

I took the powerscore classs, and I actually feel it DIDNT help me; in fact, I speculate whether it hurt me. The best learning I found was reviewing the tests, and writing notes along every question why one choice was right, and why the other answers were wrong. I think the LSAT class diverted too much time away from this constructive study I used for myself and more towards their homework...

If I had to do it all again I would skip the LSAT class and find a tutor to zero in on the specific issues, if you find you have any. You'll save serious $$ that way.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 pm

suspicious android wrote:Jesus, do half the people not even read the original post? He's already in a class.

Anyway, a 21 point improvement is possible, I've had lots of students make that kind of jump. But keep in mind, most people do not make that kind of improvement, you're going to need to work really hard and devote yourself to understanding the LSAT and what you need to change about your own thinking/reading style to improve.

This.

To add a little: The most significant factor in your score improvement will be figuring out what you're doing wrong in working questions right now and how to change it. If you're getting a 143, you're either going FAR too slowly or getting FAR too many questions wrong (or both). Generally, it's highly tempting but less productive to work on speed first. Accuracy is the more pressing (but more difficult) issue to address, but you must address it. Figure out how to get questions right. Then figure out how to get them right quickly.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Follow the Testmasters method and do not worry about speed. If you establish the fundamentals they teach you, the quickness will come naturally as you become familiar with the different types of questions. Study hard. I think the class is a good investment for you; I went from a 149 to a 166. Work hard and kick ass.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 am

suspicious android wrote:Jesus, do half the people not even read the original post? He's already in a class.

for dpk711, TyrodTaylor, LSATtom..lol :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”