Older Preptests

BillsFan9907

Older Preptests

Postby BillsFan9907 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

What's all this talk I am seeing about how older Preptests are pretty much useless?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdeforcex

Re: Logic games and performance IQ

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm

i'm not sure about your terminology regarding performance IQ

but what i believe and what others on TLS will say is that games are very learnable. you probably don't need to take a course if you can be disciplined enough. buy/get a copy of PowerScore's Logic Games Bible. do it. and just keep doing games. record how long it takes to solve a game and redo it 1 month later.

hth

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 pm

First of all, nobody cares about IQ.

Second, you can learn LG. I don't know what this IQ stuff is that you're talking about but most people consider LG the most learnable section. I improved my LG from missing about half the section on my first LSAT to missing only 1 problem on my second LSAT. Just by practicing.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Agree that IQ as a concept is relevant to nothing, but I think you're asking about how it generally reflects people's core skills.

I have good verbal skills but terrible spatial/performance skills, which, yes, are related to skill in LG. And while it's not easily possible to make those improve those skills in like, life, you can learn methods to get better at LG. I have, anyway! Have you read the powerscore bibles? How many are you currently missing per LG section?

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 am

First of all, in my opinion, classifications of IQ is just a form of justification for dumb people (BUT MY EMOTIONAL IQ IS SOOO HIGHHH!!!1). Secondly, only your diagnostic may have a low chance of correlating with your actual IQ, other than that the only thing it correlates with is the time spent drilling the question types. HTH.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:First of all, in my opinion, classifications of IQ is just a form of justification for dumb people (BUT MY EMOTIONAL IQ IS SOOO HIGHHH!!!1). Secondly, only your diagnostic may have a low chance of correlating with your actual IQ, other than that the only thing it correlates with is the time spent drilling the question types. HTH.

Might correlate with the ceiling too, but lol @ emotional IQ.

BillsFan9907

Re: Older Preptests

Postby BillsFan9907 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm looking at the powerscore logic games bible now. How much of an improvement has it made for others?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Seoulless wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:Agree that IQ as a concept is relevant to nothing, but I think you're asking about how it generally reflects people's core skills.

I have good verbal skills but terrible spatial/performance skills, which, yes, are related to skill in LG. And while it's not easily possible to make those improve those skills in like, life, you can learn methods to get better at LG. I have, anyway! Have you read the powerscore bibles? How many are you currently missing per LG section?

I'm completing 2.5 sections in the 35 minutes.

I'm looking at the powerscore logic games bible now. How much of an improvement has it made for others?

I went from -10-12 to -0-2

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:46 pm

FWIW I have a 155 Performance IQ and I generally get 4-5 questions wrong in LG. I don't think IQ has anything to do with anything, but practice and study have everything to do with success.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 pm

Powerscore LGB has improved me on practice tests from -17 to -3 in a week. Use it. Love it.
I thought I was terrible at LG too, it just takes practice and knowledge of techniques.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 pm

LG is easy to learn once you know how to set up the game properly...Learnable. Grab and hit the book. It is all you need Cheers! 8)

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:37 am

Curry wrote:
Seoulless wrote:I went from -10-12 to -0-2

Same. I'm still a little slow, but knowing how to set the games up makes a huge difference for people who can't mentally track all the variables, which is what I basically tried to do on my diag, not knowing any better. (infuriatingly, my math major boyfriend who can do lg sections in his head. he has good spatial skills. aaarrghh.)

anyways, echoing everyone else, it's totally learnable.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:52 am

Kabuo wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:First of all, in my opinion, classifications of IQ is just a form of justification for dumb people (BUT MY EMOTIONAL IQ IS SOOO HIGHHH!!!1). Secondly, only your diagnostic may have a low chance of correlating with your actual IQ, other than that the only thing it correlates with is the time spent drilling the question types. HTH.

pretty sure it's EQ, not emotional IQ, because it doesn't measure intelligence, thus couldn't possibly be a justification for a low IQ, because it's a determining something entirely different. It'd be the same thing to make fun of someone's benchpress as a justification for their low IQ

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 am

You mean all those people who made fun of my triceps IQ were idiots?

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:56 am

Kabuo wrote:You mean all those people who made fun of my triceps IQ were idiots?

I told you they was just jelly. You gonna be @ spray tan today w/ Vinny Boombox?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am

I think lg can be a challenge for some people. I had to really work hard on them when the rest of the sections were easy. They are learnable though. I went from about -15 (yes, -15) to an average of -3 or 4 with the lg bible and practice. I fucked up on the real LSAT but still did better than I was doing before. Once you learn the technique, it matters less but IMO time can still be an issue since you might not see whats going on just by looking at it.

ams

Postby ams » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:35 pm

OP, how much time have you spent working on logic games thus far? They can be difficult but are very learnable. I can all but guarantee you that once you do all the games two or three times you will be able to go -1 or -0 in under 35 minutes. Keep plugging away and you will get there.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:00 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Kabuo wrote:

pretty sure it's EQ, not emotional IQ, because it doesn't measure intelligence, thus couldn't possibly be a justification for a low IQ, because it's a determining something entirely different. It'd be the same thing to make fun of someone's benchpress as a justification for their low IQ

QF_High_EQ

privatemf

Postby privatemf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 am

Today is the first time that I got all of the question on a Logic Game. OMG! I could post on this board because only guys would understand.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 am

privatemf wrote:Today is the first time that I got all of the question on a Logic Game. OMG! I could post on this board because only guys would understand.

Yeah, girls never ace the games because they only have high EQs.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I think lg can be a challenge for some people. I had to really work hard on them when the rest of the sections were easy. They are learnable though. I went from about -15 (yes, -15) to an average of -3 or 4 with the lg bible and practice.

This is currently my situation. I went from about -15 to -0/-2 and now I am usually at around -3 to -5. I attribute this to a "slacking off" on LG for a couple of weeks while I focused on LR and RC. Now, having hopefully learned from that mistake, I know that LG has to be part of my regimen every single day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”