Easiest month to take the LSAT

Bumi

Re: Easiest month to take the LSAT

Postby Bumi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:45 am

whattheheck wrote:Love it! This forum is great prep for arrogant A-holes I will encounter in law school!!!

Thanks for the responses guys :-)

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:55 pm

^lulz. This thead is useless.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:31 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:*Clears throat* That would be she Jeffort. Anyway, I notice in my re-quote that you took out the "Anyways, I haven't heard much either way" which I think shows that there is a degree of uncertainty in my response. In these forums I've read a number of theories as to how the curve works and what goes down, so that's why I didn't answer my new internet friend with certainty. I mentioned some things I'd read but out of everything I think I've read more about how the curve (whether it's determined before the test or whatever) balances things as that is what a curve is meant to do. Not sure how that's controversial, but hey, or maybe you're just a forum gansta with too much time on their hands.

Anyway, with your paraphrasing skills you could no doubt work for the 'research room' for Glenn Beck :lol:

Ok, so you are a girl not a guy, and apparently are a temperamental one that doesn't respond well to criticism or to being wrong.

Your understanding of how the LSAT is scored is still wrong, it is not graded on a curve the way UG classes are. Your opinion is based on hearsay and rumor rather than on available facts.

I think it is important that people preparing for the LSAT are given valid information about it rather than incorrect misconceptions from gossip and hearsay. I'm not sure how pointing out correct facts about how the test is and is not scored makes me a gansta or qualifies me to work for Glenn Beck though. I didn't paraphrase anything you said, your words were quoted verbatim.

Point being, the LSAT is designed to be a reliable measurement tool, like a measuring tape, that always provides an accurate rating of test takers performance on a consistent standardized scale so that a 160 or whatever score always indicates performance at the 160 skill/ability level regardless of how poorly or well other test takers performed. If the scores were curved to the performance of the group of people that take a particular test (meaning that your score is influenced by how other test takers in the group perform on the test), a 160 from one administration would not necessarily represent the same ability level as a 160 from a different administration, which would make it pretty useless for LS's to use to judge the caliber of applicants against one another.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Jeffort wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:*Clears throat* That would be she Jeffort. Anyway, I notice in my re-quote that you took out the "Anyways, I haven't heard much either way" which I think shows that there is a degree of uncertainty in my response. In these forums I've read a number of theories as to how the curve works and what goes down, so that's why I didn't answer my new internet friend with certainty. I mentioned some things I'd read but out of everything I think I've read more about how the curve (whether it's determined before the test or whatever) balances things as that is what a curve is meant to do. Not sure how that's controversial, but hey, or maybe you're just a forum gansta with too much time on their hands.

Anyway, with your paraphrasing skills you could no doubt work for the 'research room' for Glenn Beck :lol:

Ok, so you are a girl not a guy, and apparently are a temperamental one that doesn't respond well to criticism or to being wrong.

Your understanding of how the LSAT is scored is still wrong, it is not graded on a curve the way UG classes are. Your opinion is based on hearsay and rumor rather than on available facts.

I think it is important that people preparing for the LSAT are given valid information about it rather than incorrect misconceptions from gossip and hearsay. I'm not sure how pointing out correct facts about how the test is and is not scored makes me a gansta or qualifies me to work for Glenn Beck though. I didn't paraphrase anything you said, your words were quoted verbatim.

Point being, the LSAT is designed to be a reliable measurement tool, like a measuring tape, that always provides an accurate rating of test takers performance on a consistent standardized scale so that a 160 or whatever score always indicates performance at the 160 skill/ability level regardless of how poorly or well other test takers performed. If the scores were curved to the performance of the group of people that take a particular test (meaning that your score is influenced by how other test takers in the group perform on the test), a 160 from one administration would not necessarily represent the same ability level as a 160 from a different administration, which would make it pretty useless for LS's to use to judge the caliber of applicants against one another.

don't waste your time on this, if they really think there is a 'better' administration date or an 'easier' test or even a curve, let them go in, get their ass burnt, and come back here with their tail between their legs, yelping for retake help. The correct answer was provided on the last page. /thread.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

don't waste your time on this, if they really think there is a 'better' administration date or an 'easier' test or even a curve, let them go in, get their ass burnt, and come back here with their tail between their legs, yelping for retake help. The correct answer was provided on the last page. /thread.

Yeah, I know, trying to put a stop to the common LSAT urban legends/myths is a war that cannot be won once and for all.

Since TLS seems to have a good following of intelligent people and contains a lot of good information, I just wish that people would clue in about the basics of the LSAT and stop posting misguided ideas about "the curve". At a minimum it would be nice if people would at least stop incorrectly using the word 'curve' to refer to how scaled scores are determined and instead say scoring scale/conversion chart since that is what it is they are trying to talk about.

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:39 am

LOL!!! You guys are really worthless. But thanks a bunch!!!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 am

whattheheck wrote:LOL!!! You guys are really worthless. But thanks a bunch!!!

Ok, suit yourself, but your question was answered pretty well several times and in several different ways with plenty of explanation as to why there is no valid answer to the question "easiest month to take the LSAT?" other than "The easiest month to take the LSAT is the month you're fully prepared to do your best"

You and the question are being made fun of because it demonstrates that you have not done much research into learning what the LSAT tests and how it does so to produce accurate comparable scores about individuals reading and reasoning abilities for law schools to base important admission and scholarship decisions on when comparing applications from people that took the test at different times.

polevaulter

Postby polevaulter » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:03 pm

whattheheck wrote:Hello everyone. I am new here. I was told that there was a month in which the LSAT was easier as far as question type. Is this true and if so which month is it?

I say the June LSAT and that is ONLY because you can wake up late and take the test at 12:30 p.m.

Other than that, the test is a HARD one--no matter what time of year you take it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Dont sit for the test until you are absolutey sure you will be able to get the score you are looking for. June's test starts around 1230 on a monday, while October, December, and February are at 830 am on a saturday. February's test is non disclosed- so no one knows for certain what the curve is. June, OCtober, and Decemebr are all disclosed. However, its hard to say which one is easier, there are variables such as the pattern of the sections ( how thye are given, and in what order that is preferable to you), the type of games and RC passages, and the location and type of the experimental ( is it RC that you had back to back of another RC- a third LR that is sandwhiched between another section type, a section type that is easier/ more difficult to you, etc etc). All in all- the test is basically the same- if the test makers think its much easier thand usueal- the curve is smaller. if they thik its much more difficult then the curve is larger ( but the curve is determined before you take the test).

Just prep until you are confident in your abilities. Then take the test and rock it!

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:09 pm

northwood wrote:Dont sit for the test until you are absolutey sure you will be able to get the score you are looking for. June's test starts around 1230 on a monday, while October, December, and February are at 830 am on a saturday. February's test is non disclosed- so no one knows for certain what the curve is. June, OCtober, and Decemebr are all disclosed. However, its hard to say which one is easier, there are variables such as the pattern of the sections ( how thye are given, and in what order that is preferable to you), the type of games and RC passages, and the location and type of the experimental ( is it RC that you had back to back of another RC- a third LR that is sandwhiched between another section type, a section type that is easier/ more difficult to you, etc etc). All in all- the test is basically the same- if the test makers think its much easier thand usueal- the curve is smaller. if they thik its much more difficult then the curve is larger ( but the curve is determined before you take the test).

Just prep until you are confident in your abilities. Then take the test and rock it!

I lol'd at picturing jeffort's face as he read this post.

ams

Postby ams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:11 pm

This wasn't really mentioned, but if you want to apply next cycle you should take the June test so you can apply early in the cycle. This allows for an October retake if necessary. But if you want to take the test in June you should start studying like, today.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
northwood wrote:Dont sit for the test until you are absolutey sure you will be able to get the score you are looking for. June's test starts around 1230 on a monday, while October, December, and February are at 830 am on a saturday. February's test is non disclosed- so no one knows for certain what the curve is. June, OCtober, and Decemebr are all disclosed. However, its hard to say which one is easier, there are variables such as the pattern of the sections ( how thye are given, and in what order that is preferable to you), the type of games and RC passages, and the location and type of the experimental ( is it RC that you had back to back of another RC- a third LR that is sandwhiched between another section type, a section type that is easier/ more difficult to you, etc etc). All in all- the test is basically the same- if the test makers think its much easier thand usueal- the curve is smaller. if they thik its much more difficult then the curve is larger ( but the curve is determined before you take the test).

I lol'd at picturing jeffort's face as he read this post.

:P

Arrrggg, saying "the curve".

It's not a curve, its an equated scoring scale! They are different things!

The rest of the post was decent and accurate about the random stuff that can possibly throw you off your game and influence how test day goes (and cause sleepless nights and anxiety because there is nothing you can do about it). Getting RC as an experimental and getting a test form like that with the 2 RC's back to back as sections one and two can be brutal. Random chance stuff like that can influence how test day goes for the under prepared.

Many people in recent years that took it multiple times had the bad luck of getting hit by test forms with back to back RC sections for sections 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 for each of the two or three times they took/re-took the test and got thrown off by it because it sucked away their mental power/mojo/confidence/bubbling ability/will to live/etc.

That "RC Ambush" period apparently happened because LSAC needed to pretest a bunch more RC sections to bank up more ready to go sections that include a comparative reading passage.
Last edited by Jeffort on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:01 pm

I got the brutal back to back RC sections ( section 2 and 3) on the october 2010 exam. I know I left a few points on the table- but im not going to make any excuses.

I also know its scaled- not curved. However i was too lazy to type scaled scoring in my previous post

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 am

northwood wrote:I got the brutal back to back RC sections ( section 2 and 3) on the october 2010 exam. I know I left a few points on the table- but im not going to make any excuses.

I also know its scaled- not curved. However i was too lazy to type scaled scoring in my previous post

One of the worst recent instances of being screwed by bad luck of the draw and getting a 'kill me now, really please kill me now!' back to back RC section layout that threw tons of people off and made for a really bad test day was PT#50 (September 2006) with the scored RC section that contains the riddled basins of attraction passage. I pity the victims that had to face that RC section back to back with another on test day.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:45 am

Given the direction of this thread and the tone of the OP, I'm not the least bit surprised that it was started by a woman.

Also, as has been pointed out, the answers were pretty good, although I would clarify that the theory behind a big curve being better for students who have studied is that, at a certain point, you usually find yourself missing about the same number of questions per section regardless of perceived difficulty.So missing 7 on a nine point curve is worse than missing 8 or 9 on a thirteen point.

I'm not sure how that works in practicality, but I kn ow it was true for me. The size of the curve was largely the root of my practice tests fluctuating from 170-176 near the end.

slacker

Postby slacker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 am

Anyone have a link to that table/chart showing the lsat curves for each month for the last however many years? Or am I imagining having seen that?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 am

slacker wrote:Anyone have a link to that table/chart showing the lsat curves for each month for the last however many years? Or am I imagining having seen that?

I'll make a deal with you. I'll give you the link if you agree to stop referring to it as 'the curve' and instead start calling it 'the scale' or 'the conversion chart'.

Deal?

Since no doubt Kurst will be around again soon to supply the link anyway (he's probably got it tattooed on his arm with the rest of the good LSAT and TLS related links that he is a master of knowing), I'll provide it now with anticipation that you'll hold up the other end of the deal later!

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/ls ... rsion.html

** Clicking on the link constitutes agreement to the contractual conditions specified above.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 am

whattheheck wrote:LOL!!! You guys are really worthless. But thanks a bunch!!!

ITT, there is absolutely nothing that anyone can say that doesn't make OP cry.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Jeffort wrote:
northwood wrote:I got the brutal back to back RC sections ( section 2 and 3) on the october 2010 exam. I know I left a few points on the table- but im not going to make any excuses.

One of the worst recent instances of being screwed by bad luck of the draw and getting a 'kill me now, really please kill me now!' back to back RC section layout that threw tons of people off and made for a really bad test day was PT#50 (September 2006) with the scored RC section that contains the riddled basins of attraction passage. I pity the victims that had to face that RC section back to back with another on test day.

June 2010. RC 1st and 5th. 5th counted. got a -7. got a -4 on the rest of the test, including a mis-bubble. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

slacker wrote:Anyone have a link to that table/chart showing the lsat curves for each month for the last however many years? Or am I imagining having seen that?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=150881#p4193682

Jeffort, some day I'll condense all of the information tattooed on my arm into an LSAT prep FAQ. :)

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Kurst wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=150881#p4193682

Jeffort, some day I'll condense all of the information tattooed on my arm into an LSAT prep FAQ. :)

I like that the tattoo has to be condensed into a FAQ, not the other way around.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:26 pm

tomwatts wrote:I like that the tattoo has to be condensed into a FAQ, not the other way around.

The tattoo covers everything, from your infamous prep test fight with bp colin to adventures in constructive sarcasm. Some things of personal interest, such as the fight, should probably be culled.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”