Easiest month to take the LSAT

whattheheck

Easiest month to take the LSAT

Postby whattheheck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Hello everyone. I am new here. I was told that there was a month in which the LSAT was easier as far as question type. Is this true and if so which month is it?

A little quick background on myself:
I am ten years out of UG with a degree in Sociology. Unfortunately I was so caught with a break up that I totally messed up my GPA and graduated with a 2.71. I knew I wanted to go to law school so I took an internship at the Westchester District attorney's office and went on to look for a paralegal job in the city. Despite the strict rule of top firms only hiring from ivy league schools or students in the top 10% of their class, I made it into a top 10 firm in NYC. The plan was then to just do two years then go off to Law school but that just didn't happen. Fast forward to the present, married with three children and ABSOLUTELY determined to get a great score on the LSAT and go to law school next Fall.

blacklawboss

Re: Easiest month to take the LSAT

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

whattheheck wrote:Hello everyone. I am new here. I was told that there was a month in which the LSAT was easier as far as question type. Is this true and if so which month is it?

A little quick background on myself:
I am ten years out of UG with a degree in Sociology. Unfortunately I was so caught with a break up that I totally messed up my GPA and graduated with a 2.71. I knew I wanted to go to law school so I took an internship at the Westchester District attorney's office and went on to look for a paralegal job in the city. Despite the strict rule of top firms only hiring from ivy league schools or students in the top 10% of their class, I made it into a top 10 firm in NYC. The plan was then to just do two years then go off to Law school but that just didn't happen. Fast forward to the present, married with three children and ABSOLUTELY determined to get a great score on the LSAT and go to law school next Fall.

If there is such a thing June/Oct but the Curve always balances everything out.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:48 pm

It's a standardized test. It's been standardized. The point of standardization is so that you can measure different people by the same standard. If different administrations were not standard, then the standardized scores would be meaningless. Standardized.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

The easiest month to take the LSAT is the month you're fully prepared to do your best

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:59 pm

bhan87 wrote:The easiest month to take the LSAT is the month you're fully prepared to do your best

my thoughts exactly

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:11 pm

bhan87 wrote:The easiest month to take the LSAT is the month you're fully prepared to do your best

TITCR

Tabemaju

Postby Tabemaju » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 pm

My understanding that the only "advantage" to the June test is that the test time is 12:30pm rather than 8:30am. This can be nice for people that get the sort of test anxiety that makes it difficult to sleep the night before.

I can't remember where I read this, though. Can anyone confirm the 12:30pm June test time?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Tabemaju wrote:My understanding that the only "advantage" to the June test is that the test time is 12:30pm rather than 8:30am. This can be nice for people that get the sort of test anxiety that makes it difficult to sleep the night before.

I can't remember where I read this, though. Can anyone confirm the 12:30pm June test time?

Confirmed. 12:30

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm

The June test is given on a Monday at 12:30.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Well, the February curve is statistically bigger, which helps out 170+ scorers. But that's speculative; so don't plan on seeing much fluctuation in difficulty.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:44 pm

August

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Love it! This forum is great prep for arrogant A-holes I will encounter in law school!!!

Thanks for the responses guys :-)

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am

Love it! This forum is great prep for arrogant A-holes I will encounter in law school!!!

Thanks for the responses guys

It is pretty ridiculous when they do that. :D It's like being in a 2nd grade class and you stumble over the pronunciation of a word while reading and the know-it-all kid next to you can't contain themselves from blurting out the correct pronunciation so the teacher knows they are better than you. You all were learners at some point folks even if you can smuggly hide it now.

Anyways, I haven't heard much either way on what is easier except to say that the curve for this last February was lower than the previous testing months. For the most part if there are parts that a majority of the testers don't do well on, the curve helps to make up for the overall scores.

Sounds like you've got a lot of great work experience. Best of luck in whichever month you go with! I for one am going for June 2011.

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:

It is pretty ridiculous when they do that. :D It's like being in a 2nd grade class and you stumble over the pronunciation of a word while reading and the know-it-all kid next to you can't contain themselves from blurting out the correct pronunciation so the teacher knows they are better than you. You all were learners at some point folks even if you can smuggly hide it now.

Anyways, I haven't heard much either way on what is easier except to say that the curve for this last February was lower than the previous testing months. For the most part if there are parts that a majority of the testers don't do well on, the curve helps to make up for the overall scores.

Sounds like you've got a lot of great work experience. Best of luck in whichever month you go with! I for one am going for June 2011.

Thank you Tikitembo for a post with a real answer to my question.
You know working in those firms really prepares you for all this. Trying to make others feel dumb is what they thrive on.
Its moments like these when I take comfort in knowing how dumb and inferior they WILL feel when they step in front of a judge for the first time and look like a piece of sh*t for something simple like the table of contents typed incorrectly or for not following that particular judge's request for submitting documentation. :lol:

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Tabemaju wrote:My understanding that the only "advantage" to the June test is that the test time is 12:30pm rather than 8:30am. This can be nice for people that get the sort of test anxiety that makes it difficult to sleep the night before.

I took it last June, and I felt like the later start time was a huge advantage. I slept really well the night before (there was no pressure to fall asleep by a certain time because I was getting up early), and I did not have to rush to the test center the morning of. Plus, you can take the test again in the fall if you bomb.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Dec's monster curve.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:02 pm

I think the June 12:30 start will be a nice advantage for many people.

I had wicked anxiety the night before Oct. and was fighting off sleep during my test.

BrianOz1

Postby BrianOz1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 pm

whattheheck wrote:Love it! This forum is great prep for arrogant A-holes I will encounter in law school!!!

You kind of asked a dumb question. Their answers were correct. Not sure what else you wanted.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

BrianOz1 wrote:
whattheheck wrote:Love it! This forum is great prep for arrogant A-holes I will encounter in law school!!!

You kind of asked a dumb question. Their answers were correct. Not sure what else you wanted.

Why was his question dumb? He heard one of the months was easier...and he wanted to know if it was true.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 pm

If that's the response he gives in this topic where people are fairly reasonable, I can't wait until he ventures into the Chances forum.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:17 pm

YAY!!!!! What's the easiest month to get accepted to LAW SCHOOL??? YAY!!!!!!!

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:If that's the response he gives in this topic where people are fairly reasonable, I can't wait until he ventures into the Chances forum.

lol. also, everyone knows December is the easiest. that's when everyone gets the 170s.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 pm

whattheheck wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:

You know working in those firms really prepares you for all this. Trying to make others feel dumb is what they thrive on.
Its moments like these when I take comfort in knowing how dumb and inferior they WILL feel when they step in front of a judge for the first time and look like a piece of sh*t for something simple like the table of contents typed incorrectly or for not following that particular judge's request for submitting documentation. :lol:

Unfortunately his 'real' answer to your question is wrong.

The LSAT is not graded on a curve. As a standardized test LSAT scores have to be comparable from administration to administration so that each score (say 160, 165, 170, whichever) means the same thing about the skill level the taker performed at regardless of which administration they took and how skilled or unskilled the group of people that took that particular administration were. If almost everybody that takes a particular administration performs really badly, it doesn't make it easier to get a higher score that time. They don't curve the scores to the performance of the group that took the same test form/administration.

I'm curious about how he could or why he said:

...except to say that the curve for this last February was lower than the previous testing months. For the most part if there are parts that a majority of the testers don't do well on, the curve helps to make up for the overall scores.

The statement is flat out wrong in many ways and in part the guy is talking out his rear end and making things up. The February test is a non-disclosed administration, meaning that the raw points to scaled score conversion chart was not released, nor was any data about the distribution of the scores achieved by the people that took it. Perhaps your new internet friend played a joke and fed you bad information in a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' sort of way.

The best answer was already given earlier in the thread:

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:05 am

Verity wrote:Well, the February curve is statistically bigger, which helps out 170+ scorers. But that's speculative; so don't plan on seeing much fluctuation in difficulty.

How can a larger pool help the 170+ scorers? The curve is pre-set. And statistically the most generous curve has been in Dec.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 am

Jeffort wrote:
whattheheck wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:

Unfortunately his 'real' answer to your question is wrong.

The LSAT is not graded on a curve. As a standardized test LSAT scores have to be comparable from administration to administration so that each score (say 160, 165, 170, whichever) means the same thing about the skill level the taker performed at regardless of which administration they took and how skilled or unskilled the group of people that took that particular administration were. If almost everybody that takes a particular administration performs really badly, it doesn't make it easier to get a higher score that time. They don't curve the scores to the performance of the group that took the same test form/administration.

I'm curious about how he could or why he said:

...except to say that the curve for this last February was lower than the previous testing months. For the most part if there are parts that a majority of the testers don't do well on, the curve helps to make up for the overall scores.

The statement is flat out wrong in many ways and in part the guy is talking out his rear end and making things up. The February test is a non-disclosed administration, meaning that the raw points to scaled score conversion chart was not released, nor was any data about the distribution of the scores achieved by the people that took it. Perhaps your new internet friend played a joke and fed you bad information in a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' sort of way.

The best answer was already given earlier in the thread:

*Clears throat* That would be she Jeffort. Anyway, I notice in my re-quote that you took out the "Anyways, I haven't heard much either way" which I think shows that there is a degree of uncertainty in my response. In these forums I've read a number of theories as to how the curve works and what goes down, so that's why I didn't answer my new internet friend with certainty. I mentioned some things I'd read but out of everything I think I've read more about how the curve (whether it's determined before the test or whatever) balances things as that is what a curve is meant to do. Not sure how that's controversial, but hey, or maybe you're just a forum gansta with too much time on their hands.

Anyway, with your paraphrasing skills you could no doubt work for the 'research room' for Glenn Beck :lol:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”