Recommendations for What to Listen To Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TIKITEMBO

Silver

Recommendations for What to Listen To

Post by TIKITEMBO » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 pm

So, in the long spells of going over LSAT prep, I often wish I had some white noise in the background. Can't listen to music with lyrics or NPR (my mind wanders to what's being said). Anyone have any suggestions for what has worked for them?

soj

Platinum

Re: Recommendations for What to Listen To

Post by soj » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Just study in a quiet (but not dead quiet) public space. No music, not even music without lyrics--get used to LSAT conditions now.

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Agree with above poster for the most part. I just went to my local public library to study. I never listened to music during prep tests--very bad idea because, as the poster said, get used to LSAT conditions--but when I was going through the Powerscore Bibles I would throw on either classical stuff or soundtracks such as Lord of the Rings or Pirates of the Carribean. For the most part, though, get used to working in a mostly quiet place with minimal noise that simulates an LSAT testing room.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 pm

I laid a microphone on the desk while doing a preptest, and then played that recording during future tests, so I could get used to the sounds of pencils writing, pages turning, and periodic erasing.

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:59 pm

soj wrote:Just study in a quiet (but not dead quiet) public space. No music, not even music without lyrics--get used to LSAT conditions now.
My nightly routine was to put out a few albums and do timed test sections. Being able to tune out distractions will help you on test day. After a while, when I heard the Curtis Mayfield Anthology, I knew it was time to get serious! One of the most difficult things to "prep" for was test-day nerves. Studying in a relaxed environment improved my test-day performance. I listened to a variety of music and occasionally drank a few beers. It sounds lame, but having fun with PTs helps prevent burnout. Of course, if you are having difficulty finishing sections in time, practice in a less-distracting environment and save the drinking for a tequila shot immediately after your test administration. If you can develop tunnel-vision, you will be able to ignore commotion at the test site.

Some quality tunes for studying:
Curtis Mayfield - "Anthology"
George Harrison - "All Things Must Pass"
Joni Mitchell, Vince Guaraldi, Phoenix

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

fatduck wrote:I laid a microphone on the desk while doing a preptest, and then played that recording during future tests, so I could get used to the sounds of pencils writing, pages turning, and periodic erasing.
that's genius!! throw in a few coughs, some sniffling, throat clearing, sneezing and you're set.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 pm

In general, I try to emulate lsat conditions but i HATE libraries and sometimes my suitemate is super loud. So i use an online white noise generator (simplynoise.com). It works for now, but I'll probably have to wean myself off it soon.

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm

It is good to emulate test conditions. However, over the course of several months, it is ok to occasionally break rules like "no music whatsoever."

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Pandora.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:18 pm

What your mom said...it can never be wrong bro... :P

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't listen to music during timed PTs but while I'm reviewing and reading the bibles I have found that Deadmau5 (electronic) and Gotan Project (hard to classify but mostly instrumental and when there are lyrics it's cool cause I don't understand French or Spanish) work really well for me. And for some odd reason Fleet Foxes too. However, I've found that if I listen to my very favorite band (animal collective) it causes me to pay too much attention to the music. Hope that helps, although I've been made aware of the fact that I listen to "weird music" many times (it's good though, I swear!) :D

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Wow, thanks for all the responses! During the PT's I definitely won't play music, but during review, it sounds like you can probably do that a bit more and get away with it. I'll keep these recommendations in mind.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Just wanted to give you tarprops. Holla, SJ.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

I practiced in a variety of conditions to numb myself to distractions. Among them:

At family friends' house, while visiting with my dad for dinner.
At home, with the TV on and a cat who wants to sit on whatever I'm reading.
At the library in a not-very-quiet public reading room.
At work after hours in a dead-silent office.
On the patio in the sun with pandora playing music ranging from rock to classical.
At my dad's house with him (annoyingly) chatting at me while he cooked dinner.
In the locker room before my rec hockey league games.

By the end of my ~2 months of studying, my PT scores were varying very little according to my surroundings, and I knew I'd be able to perform ok at the testing center with anything short of a jackhammer in the classroom.

But if you really need some instrumental music to listen to, look for classical adagios.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks paratactical. I'd glady share some baby seal eyes and bowel disrupter. 8)

Rinkrat: I think once I get more comfortable with testing I'll try different environments. Definitely could have a bad testing environment so I can see the logic in not always expecting to be 100% comfortable.

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 am

Eichörnchen wrote:And for some odd reason Fleet Foxes too.
+1

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 am

Kaki King.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”