Improving on Reading Comprehension Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nshapkar

Gold

Improving on Reading Comprehension

Post by nshapkar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:38 am

Hi all, want to get your thoughts on this. Reading Comprehension is by far my weakest section, even when I'm not doing great on LG, and I intend on working on it throughout summer. Part of my plan is to simply read more. That's what I am wondering though: should I read primarily fiction or non-fiction books?

Probably gonna read some political theory classics and whatever else I come across, but would like some fiction in there to keep things entertaining, but I don't want to do it if it may detract from the task at hand: improving on comprehension.

Thanks for any and all advice.

suzige

Bronze

Re: Improving on Reading Comprehension

Post by suzige » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:00 am

RC's a b. I'm exploring other methods as well on this retake. Blueprint's method only got me so far...

mac35352

Bronze

Re: Improving on Reading Comprehension

Post by mac35352 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:25 am

I think that RC is more about practice than technique, so practice, practice, practice.
I've read the Atlas RC and the voyager's method are good. You might want to try that as well.
I started with a -13 on RC and I was in shock because I am accustomed to reading as an English major. The thing for me was that the kind of reading you do for the LSAT is not the same as reading a fiction or even non-fiction book, you won't have enough time to read all four passages and answer the questions if you start analysing things too much. Originally I had planed to read scholarly journals and the economist as a complement to my LSAT studies and people on this site told me it was a waste of time and that I should have enough material to practice for this section with preptests. I suggest that you do every single RC section you can get your hands on, untimed at first, and familiarize yourself with the type of questions you are going to be asked. This did it for me, although I still miss -4 -6 questions timed because I can't finish the last passage or I get caught on the science passage, but improvement on this section is possible.
Also, go over the questions you get wrong or those you had a doubt on.

By the way, if you are going to read some political theory or philosophy (for fun, not for the LSAT) I recommend A Theory of Justice by John Rawls.
Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”