Freaking out right now

darkatillam2

Freaking out right now

Postby darkatillam2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Basic info cliff note style:

First time test taker set for the June 6th LSAT.

Finished all LR bible, LG bible, RC bible, the games part of Master the LSAT (Nova book), and the intro part of LSAT SuperPrep.

Taken PTs 20-27 UNTIMED and have been slowly creeping from the low 150's to bottom 160's.

Bought the LSAT proctor DVD and decided to see how I sat under actual timed conditions.

I quit after 2 sections because I had to skip 6 LR questions and 7+ LG questions. The LG really surprised me too, because typically when I do a single section of LG, I finish on time and miss around -3 max (normally LR kills me). I don't know if the last PT I took was just way harder, but I feel like if I had continued on timed conditions I would have seriously scored a sub 140s (yes, this is after doing all that reading and studying since December).

Should I postpone for October? I work two jobs, but manage to allocate 15-20 hours of studying per week. At this rate I don't know if it's enough. My goal is to score in the low 170s.

Any thoughts or comments about how I can increase my time? I guess the only plus about this situation is that I am making progress on my LR, but that only seems to be under untimed circumstances.

Kill self?

nelaw2010

Re: Freaking out right now

Postby nelaw2010 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Read my PM.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:50 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:Taken PTs 20-27 UNTIMED and have been slowly creeping from the low 150's to bottom 160's.

Bought the LSAT proctor DVD and decided to see how I sat under actual timed conditions.

I wouldn't freak out if I were you. The pressure of the timed test (and that ominous feeling of "I am not doing as well as I would if this wasn't timed") is always going to be a little intense. If I were you, I would go back and time yourself on a few that you maybe have already done just to get used to the timing. Then go back and take the test you freaked out on and you will see that, once you are used to being timed, you won't be so overwhelmed.

I also commend you for working with the DVD, although I think you might do a couple without it first for the same reason as above--just to get used to being under timed conditions. The reason I would recommend this is that it sounds like you let test anxiety get the best of you, and the DVD is meant to heighten your anxiety.

Lastly, +1 to whatever nelaw2010 said. If it was worth pm'ing, it's probably worth taking into consideration.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:Read my PM.

I appreciate the PM and will be following that guy's advice or any nuggets of wisdom I can glean from his website.

As far as my actual study guides go, I'm really torn. I've been trying to follow TLS1776's guide (he scored a 180 has prob has the most comprehensive guide out there).

Unfortunately he had over a year to study, (diag at 161) and was already PT'ing at around 176 during December, when he was scheduled to take it that next June.

So as you can see, our situations are very dissimilar and seeing what little progress I've made so far is really soul crushing. But who knows, based on what I've been reading on pike's guide and some random tid bits I've been seeing, some people manage to spike huge gains after being stuck on horrible plateau's for a number of weeks. I'm hoping toward the end of this month I will see some nice gains. I've read all the stuff, double checked all my wrong answers, even consultant some much smarter friends on questions I have issues with. So hopefully my very very very out of shape brain will finally remember what it's like to absorb new material and make gains.... *fingers crossed*

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:37 pm

You've completed all three bibles and a bunch of PT's and are still only scoring low 160's untimed? That is very unusual.

Are you making sure you are reviewing EVERY single potential answer in a PT after you take that PT (as in, review why the right answers are right and why the wrong answers are wrong, for every answer in every question)? If you are just blowing through PT's one after one, doing nothing but checking answer cards after you complete them, you aren't nearly benefiting from them as much as you could.

To be honest, I don't realistically see you consistently scoring low 170's on timed PT's before the June test. You are doing something wrong in your studying, and if you don't find out what that is I don't think you'll be ready for October either, if ever. You need to correct your studying strategy.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:42 pm

it's actually really simple.

option 1) quit your jobs. devote all your time to the lsat. study like it's your job, but if by May 10 you're not PTing anywhere your target range, postpone until Oct.
option 2) keep studying at your current pace, but if by May 10 you're not PTing anywhere your target range, postpone until Oct.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 pm

99.9luft wrote:it's actually really simple.

option 1) quit your jobs. devote all your time to the lsat. study like it's your job, but if by May 10 you're not PTing anywhere your target range, postpone until Oct.
option 2) keep studying at your current pace, but if by May 10 you're not PTing anywhere your target range, postpone until Oct.

TITCR. Also, if you postpone till October and you are still not near your target range postpone till December and think about delaying your applications a year.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:35 am

So Kill self basically. That's what I seem to be seeing here. :( :(

edit: I can't quit my 2 jobs either :( I literally struggle with rent as is. I guess my only option is to just study, work, sleep, repeat everyday until June. If I'm not PTing were I want to be by May 10th, I'll cancel my June date and do Oct. I guess. Sucks a lot tho, because I wanted to apply earlier in the cycle. I am a splitter, so I need all the help I can get.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:21 am

sighsigh wrote:Are you making sure you are reviewing EVERY single potential answer in a PT after you take that PT (as in, review why the right answers are right and why the wrong answers are wrong, for every answer in every question)? If you are just blowing through PT's one after one, doing nothing but checking answer cards after you complete them, you aren't nearly benefiting from them as much as you could.

^THIS

lightbulb1986

Postby lightbulb1986 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:41 am

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lightbulb1986

Postby lightbulb1986 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:43 am

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:01 am

darkatillam2 wrote:So Kill self basically. That's what I seem to be seeing here. :( :(

edit: I can't quit my 2 jobs either :( I literally struggle with rent as is. I guess my only option is to just study, work, sleep, repeat everyday until June. If I'm not PTing were I want to be by May 10th, I'll cancel my June date and do Oct. I guess. Sucks a lot tho, because I wanted to apply earlier in the cycle. I am a splitter, so I need all the help I can get.

No one said kill self. Spend a week dedicated to ascertaining where you are going wrong in studying. Don't quit your jobs but follow the advice on cancelling the test dates. This is only March and you have more time. Finally, I think you need to work some minimal breaks/fun stuff/stress relaxation in your schedule because you may be burning out. If that sounds like a waste of time, remember that stress management is a big part of the exam on exam day.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:12 am

Thanks.

I won't kill myself (I'm actually a pretty upbeat and happy person). I am however, VERY bitter at myself for allowing my mind to seemingly crap out since I graduated college. The back story here: I ended up getting recruited to work in retail management (yea don't ask, the only positive thing to come out of that situation was a wonderful girlfriend whom I live with now). I ended up quitting there after 1-2 years, then spending an additional 1-2 years as a professional online poker player (I actually did make a lot of money for what it's worth).

During those 3-4 years my IQ probably dropped 20 points and my brain lost all ability to retain anything useful I read. In Oct of 2010 I decided I wanted to go back to school and actually use my PoliSci degree (*flame away*). So for the last few months I think my brain is slowly getting back into the swing of things (like reading and studying for one), but it's really upsetting how incredibly stupid I feel.

Anyway, back to LSAT stuff... Yes, I have been reviewing all my PTs and I do go over every question I got wrong and why my answer was wrong + why the correct answer is right. I also go over questions I happen to get right but marked as potential question marks.

After reviewing PTs I am still finding 2-4 LR questions per test that I need to consult a study partner on (I typically ask my friend who will prob nail a 170+ in his sleep). It's def discouraging to know there are questions I literally look at and want to shit my pants because I cannot understand how they got to the correct answer. Sigh.

Well, I appreciate all the advice. I will continually update and try and take as much of the advice you guys give as possible. I will probably take PrepTests A, B, & C in the next week or so. I think this might benefit me because all these tests have explanations with them that will *hopefully* allow me to really understand the questions and make better decisions in the future.

Thanks again

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:29 am

When you review, how do you review? Do you just read over the question and say "oh yeah thats a weaken and this weakens so its obviously right" or do you legitimately understand it? when I studied, I wrote down every single question i got wrong, wrote out the answer choices, and wrote out why i had it wrong and then why the right answer was right. Then when i finished reviewing, i went back and looked for patters. Once i identified patterns "oh look i'm missing weaken questions" I drilled 100 weaken questions till i got the hang of how they were being asked, the way the answers were phrased, what to look for etc. And then i did it with my next waekness and so on and so forth until i was able to understanding not only what the question was asking, but how it was asked, why it was asked that way, and what the answer is most likely going to be, even before i got to the answer choices.
Don't sell yourself short here by being lazy. The LSAT is a test of dedication. If you can't be dedicated to beating the test, you wont come close. Its going to take hundreds of hours to get to the 170 range - its all a matter of you deciding you want it. If you decide it, and put the work into it, LR becomes second nature.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:42 am

Curry wrote:When you review, how do you review? Do you just read over the question and say "oh yeah thats a weaken and this weakens so its obviously right" or do you legitimately understand it? when I studied, I wrote down every single question i got wrong, wrote out the answer choices, and wrote out why i had it wrong and then why the right answer was right. Then when i finished reviewing, i went back and looked for patters. Once i identified patterns "oh look i'm missing weaken questions" I drilled 100 weaken questions till i got the hang of how they were being asked, the way the answers were phrased, what to look for etc. And then i did it with my next waekness and so on and so forth until i was able to understanding not only what the question was asking, but how it was asked, why it was asked that way, and what the answer is most likely going to be, even before i got to the answer choices.
Don't sell yourself short here by being lazy. The LSAT is a test of dedication. If you can't be dedicated to beating the test, you wont come close. Its going to take hundreds of hours to get to the 170 range - its all a matter of you deciding you want it. If you decide it, and put the work into it, LR becomes second nature.

This.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 am

Curry wrote:When you review, how do you review? Do you just read over the question and say "oh yeah thats a weaken and this weakens so its obviously right" or do you legitimately understand it? when I studied, I wrote down every single question i got wrong, wrote out the answer choices, and wrote out why i had it wrong and then why the right answer was right. Then when i finished reviewing, i went back and looked for patters. Once i identified patterns "oh look i'm missing weaken questions" I drilled 100 weaken questions till i got the hang of how they were being asked, the way the answers were phrased, what to look for etc. And then i did it with my next waekness and so on and so forth until i was able to understanding not only what the question was asking, but how it was asked, why it was asked that way, and what the answer is most likely going to be, even before i got to the answer choices.

This!

Also- take the tests timed, and dont focus so much on scaled scores ( 160-165, etc). Focus on increasing your accuracy and increasing your raw score in each section. Getting 1 or 2 more questiond right will help your performance on the actual lsat. Since the sclaled scores are at the mercy of the pre determined curve, focusing on your accuracy will help you be best prepared for the actual test. Not everyone can get a 165+. I know it seems to be the norm on TLS, but in reality only 10% of the avutal testing popiulation will achieve this. Give it your best shot. I you are working, I would strongly suggest that you take it in October, to give yourself the most time to prepare. Do not take the real test before taking timed practice tests. If you havent done this yet- start out at taking 1 or 2 timed sections- then reviewr, then igo to 3 timed sections in a row. HThen start on timed 5 section tests ( you get a 15 minute break inbetween setions 3 and 4) Best of luck. Keep you head and confidence up!

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Curry wrote:When you review, how do you review? Do you just read over the question and say "oh yeah thats a weaken and this weakens so its obviously right" or do you legitimately understand it? when I studied, I wrote down every single question i got wrong, wrote out the answer choices, and wrote out why i had it wrong and then why the right answer was right. Then when i finished reviewing, i went back and looked for patters. Once i identified patterns "oh look i'm missing weaken questions" I drilled 100 weaken questions till i got the hang of how they were being asked, the way the answers were phrased, what to look for etc. And then i did it with my next weakness and so on and so forth until i was able to understanding not only what the question was asking, but how it was asked, why it was asked that way, and what the answer is most likely going to be, even before i got to the answer choices.

I think I will start doing this more.

I do review all my missed questions and try and determine why my answer was wrong and why the correct answer is correct. I do not however, write down what type of question it was that I actually got wrong - IE: weaken/assumption/etc

So maybe I'll start an excel file that categorizes what type of LR's I am missing with the highest frequency. That will probably help a lot. I already know based on my scores on the practice sections of the LR bible that I am being dominated by assumption questions. So I will 100% reread and drill assumption questions in my review.

I am very dedicated to this test. I read my first Kaplan book in November (it was terrible), and have been doing some form of studying ever since. I've pretty much stopped all forms of non-productive activities since Jan of this year (playing poker, video games, etc). The only time I'm not studying is when I'm working or spending time with my girlfriend.

I think I underestimated how long it would take me to get back into the swing of things. I think its a 50/50 right now on moving my test date til October, but we'll see where I am in 1.5 months. I plan on bumping up my study hours per week to around 20-30. Hopefully at that rate I will be able to make some significant gains by the end of this month and work my timing in April.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”