Nursing mom's and the LSAT

Jeffort

Re: Nursing mom's and the LSAT

Postby Jeffort » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:30 pm

mac35352 wrote:
That's why I said post of the day....there are some hillarious threads out there. I am going to search for the one you mentioned.

Have fun sorting through the results google will give with a search that includes keywords: masturbating + LSD and/or + LSAT (LSD's internal search board posts feature is disabled so you have to use google), it will surely spit out plenty of fun stuff to look at. :D

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Unrelated advice (I also gave this in the "How to score over 160" thread).
Sleep is very important for the LSAT and really hard to get with a little one. I went from 93rd to 98th percentile on my two LSATS and I credit a lot of that to my baby starting to sleep better.

So stock up on as much sleep as you can.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Chimica wrote:Unrelated advice (I also gave this in the "How to score over 160" thread).
Sleep is very important for the LSAT and really hard to get with a little one. I went from 93rd to 98th percentile on my two LSATS and I credit a lot of that to my baby starting to sleep better.

We are getting far afield of the LSAT here, but co-sleeping saved my sanity. I could nurse in my sleep (I am sure this is totally titillating to the pervs who are stalking this thread.) If you don't go that route, then make sure someone else is trained in the middle-of-the-night routines so that you are getting uninterrupted sleep as much as possible.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Chimica wrote:Unrelated advice (I also gave this in the "How to score over 160" thread).

I did fine on the lsat and my 2 year old kept me up all night sick and I was sick. I had maybe two hours of sleep. I got 93rd percentile.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 pm

You should be ok. It's not an all day test, and your babe will be much older by then.

Engorgement isn't usually a problem after about 3 months. Around 3 months postpartum, the hormones play less of a role regulating milk supply and it becomes more of an issue of the body making what is used up. Most women find that they leak less and have less engorgement after this point. Some women do continue to leak. There are lots of great breastpads available to help with that (I think Lansinoh makes the best disposable and there are some great wool pads out there too). If you're still feeling engorged, you might want to try cabbage leaves in your bra (although it stinks) or eating/drinking sage to help reduce your supply. I'd stay away from anything with fenugreek or oatmeal in it, as those are known to increase supply.

You can PM me, if you have any more questions regarding nursing. I've nursed 3 kids and have experience offering peer to peer support to other moms.

Good luck!

mala2

Postby mala2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:47 pm

citykitty wrote:You should be ok. It's not an all day test, and your babe will be much older by then.

Engorgement isn't usually a problem after about 3 months. Around 3 months postpartum, the hormones play less of a role regulating milk supply and it becomes more of an issue of the body making what is used up. Most women find that they leak less and have less engorgement after this point. Some women do continue to leak. There are lots of great breastpads available to help with that (I think Lansinoh makes the best disposable and there are some great wool pads out there too). If you're still feeling engorged, you might want to try cabbage leaves in your bra (although it stinks) or eating/drinking sage to help reduce your supply. I'd stay away from anything with fenugreek or oatmeal in it, as those are known to increase supply.

You can PM me, if you have any more questions regarding nursing. I've nursed 3 kids and have experience offering peer to peer support to other moms.

Good luck!

that's nice of you to offer actual advice, unfortunately it was some dumb little boy who started the thread, I think any nursing mom would know about the pads. I knew about fenugreek, but not oatmeal. good to know for next time

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 pm

mala2 wrote:
citykitty wrote:You should be ok. It's not an all day test, and your babe will be much older by then.

Good luck!

that's nice of you to offer actual advice, unfortunately it was some dumb little boy who started the thread, I think any nursing mom would know about the pads. I knew about fenugreek, but not oatmeal. good to know for next time

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still new here. I'll admit to not reading all the subsequent posts.

I'm quite sympathetic to nursing moms, so I tend to think the best of people who post asking questions regarding such issues.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 am

I'm not a dumb little boy, I am truly concerned. I have massive milk production and with my last child had problems with over-production. Engorgement can be really painful, and I want to be able to focus on the test as much as possible. I think LSAC should have provisions for nursing moms, but that's a whole different issue.

I thought about waiting until October to take the test, as my baby would be older, but the 12:30 start time is more in line with my daily schedule and kids sleep patterns.

To the mom who offered advice I will PM you because I need to find some way to limit my production. Thank you to all who offered advice :)
Oh yeah, co-sleeping totally rocks :D

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:01 am

If it weren't for co=sleeping then no nursing mom would ever survive! I would also highly second the cabbage leaves if you still have engorgement issues. Sounds weird but worked wonders for me!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Just make sure it's organic cabbage.

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 pm

You know that you've been on TLS for too long when your first response to the comment of using organic cabbage is, "Yes, because the synthetic stuff is crap!" Ah, my sarcasm meter is off the scales...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”