Nursing mom's and the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Confused&Pissed

New

Nursing mom's and the LSAT

Post by Confused&Pissed » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:45 am

Have any nursing mom's taken the LSAT? If so, how did you deal with engorgement?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: Nursing mom's and the LSAT

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am

The best thing for this is to shoot enough milk out of both sides until you feel comfortable (not empty as if you empty your breasts then you will actually increase your milk supply rather than decrease it) the best place to do this is in a nice warm shower or bath where the steam naturally relaxes your body and your breasts will naturally express themselves.

I also suggest putting cabbage leaves in your bra. It sounds odd but they draw the heat and pain away from your breasts and decrease the risk of you getting an infection etc. Its just a pain to have to keep replacing the cabbage leaves with fresh ones but it does help with the pain.

Lastly ... If you want to reduce your milk flow fast then I'd suggest you drink black coffee. I personally hate it and think its disgusting but after 3 days of drinking black coffee (only 3 times a day was needed) and warm baths and cabbage leaves I was dry and only leaked the smallest droplets of milk which didn't bother me as I still used breast pads until that too finally stopped (after a week or so).

If this advice doesn't help try asking your doctor.
Last edited by Jack Smirks on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 am

I am going through the same thing right now and ice packs work wonders! Gerber makes breast warming and cooling pads but anything frozen also works. I pump out about an oz or 2 then i put the ice packs on and it seems to really help. Also dont stand facing the flow of hot water in the shower b/c that actually makes you produce more milk.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am

Wtf... aren't you both guys???

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I am going through the same thing right now and ice packs work wonders! Gerber makes breast warming and cooling pads but anything frozen also works. I pump out about an oz or 2 then i put the ice packs on and it seems to really help. Also dont stand facing the flow of hot water in the shower b/c that actually makes you produce more milk.
+1. Also, did you stop cold turkey or is baby still nursing? If you went cold turkey, how do you feel about breast feeding baby fewer times, but continuing for a bit longer. If that doesn't work, you can pump or express just enough so that you are no longer in pain. Do not fully empty the breast, as that will keep you producing milk. It will substantially go down in the next few to several days.

If baby is still nursing, drop only one feeding at a time and a few to several days apart. You may have tried to drop too many too fast.

Warm showers, cold gel packs, cabbage leaves, binding, and I think OTC pain relievers can help (ask your doc about this).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Confused&Pissed

New

Post by Confused&Pissed » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanx for the tips, but I want to continue nursing my LO :) I'm worried about the 8 hours I wont be able to nurse or pump on test day. I called LSAC and they said I could bring a pump for the 15 minute break, but I can't pump in some random hallway in just 15 minutes. I will store milk so my baby can have a bottle on test day, but my breast will be so full by the end of the test, I will be in so much pain while trying to concentrate...

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Best thread of the day award

Chimica

New

Post by Chimica » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:34 am

Confused&Pissed wrote:Thanx for the tips, but I want to continue nursing my LO :) I'm worried about the 8 hours I wont be able to nurse or pump on test day. I called LSAC and they said I could bring a pump for the 15 minute break, but I can't pump in some random hallway in just 15 minutes. I will store milk so my baby can have a bottle on test day, but my breast will be so full by the end of the test, I will be in so much pain while trying to concentrate...
Have you tried it before? I nursed and a coulpe days I got very, very busy and couldn't get a break for 5 hours and it was not too bad. They filledup and then stopped.

I would suggest entering the test hall as close to the end of the line as possible. Bring a small hand pump and pump before you go in. If all goes well, you will get a break after 2-3 hours and can get a bit of relief and then another few hours.

Also, you can take a bathroom break during the all important written portion!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:36 am

mac35352 wrote:Best thread of the day year? award

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 am

nursing mom's what?

hate the apostrophe use :evil:

Confused&Pissed

New

Post by Confused&Pissed » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 am

99.9 sorry I have a 2 week old in my lap and have had little sleep. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. :roll:

Thank you so much for the hand pump idea :) I can at least get them to the point where they are full but not really painful. I will try and integrate this plan into my study plan.

verklempt

Bronze

Re: Nursing moms and the LSAT

Post by verklempt » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 am

It's really not 8 hours. More like 3 hours until the 15-minute break. I would scope out the site and see if there's a relatively quiet spot where you can sit for 5 minutes.I hope you have an electric pump, and you probably just want to dump it rather than hassle with ice packs.

If your baby is 2 weeks old now, if you take the LSAT in June, the baby will be 3 mos old. You will NOT be suffering the same problems with engorgement then. Your body will have sorted it out. If you do a quick pump during the break you should have no problem going the distance. Just don't allow yourself to think about the baby.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:10 am

Ok call me crazy but here's an idea: How small is that baby? If that baby is small enough that you could stuff it under your shirt and nobody would notice couldn't you just attach its little mouth to your nipple before the test and then leave it to suckle away while you take the exam? I'm pretty sure a baby is not listed as one of the restricted items on the list but either way I really don't think your proctor would notice. I've hidden my 3 week old in all sort of places/situations and never once have I been caught.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:27 am

As a mom who nursed, I totally get this. But as a person attempting the LSAT, if that baby started crying in the middle of the test and started breaking everyone's concentration you would never walk out of there alive. Like said before, there is a HUGE difference in how your body responds now as to 3 months from now. Bring a hand pump to give yourself a little relief, pack some extra nursing pads, and hopefully all will be fine.

Ah, the sacrifices we make some days! :)

Confused&Pissed

New

Post by Confused&Pissed » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:21 am

LOL I do have a Moby wrap I could probably hide the baby in for the test. Or I could just plug in my electric pump and hope it throws a couple of test takers off their game :twisted: I have an Avent Duo electric pump and just realized it can be converted into a single hand pump 8) Thanx guys

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:55 am

naterj wrote:Ok call me crazy but here's an idea: How small is that baby? If that baby is small enough that you could stuff it under your shirt and nobody would notice couldn't you just attach its little mouth to your nipple before the test and then leave it to suckle away while you take the exam? I'm pretty sure a baby is not listed as one of the restricted items on the list but either way I really don't think your proctor would notice. I've hidden my 3 week old in all sort of places/situations and never once have I been caught.
THIS. :lol:

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 am

NZA wrote:
It is certainly nominated for that as well. :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:01 pm

NZA wrote:
I don't get it. Just seems to me like a pretty normal question for the moms out there. :|

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
NZA wrote:
I don't get it. Just seems to me like a pretty normal question for the moms out there. :|
I think it was just the time of day and the fact that the topic isn't exactly... ordinary for TLS!
But yeah, interesting question.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
NZA wrote:
I hate to explain a joke but I don't want to offend moms out there.
It is not that the question is not typical, but that the answers are a bit random (suggesting she hides the baby under her shirt while he is latched to the mother's boob) Read the first responses and then how the OP totally dismisses them. :lol:
Also, in all seriousness. I understand the OP's concerns but if she is taking the LSAT in June she can't predict her production of milk in 3 months.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 pm

mac35352 wrote: It is not that the question is not typical, but that the answers are a bit random (suggesting she hides the baby under her shirt while he is latched to the mother's boob) Read the first responses and then how the OP totally dismisses them. :lol:
I just loved that one. I had a vivid mental image... :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:09 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
mac35352 wrote: It is not that the question is not typical, but that the answers are a bit random (suggesting she hides the baby under her shirt while he is latched to the mother's boob) Read the first responses and then how the OP totally dismisses them. :lol:
I'm just saying that if you want a good laugh ask a question about a non-law school, LSAT related subject on TLS and you will get a hell of a thread!

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:23 pm

wow super immature

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 pm

mac35352 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
I'm just saying that if you want a good laugh ask a question about a non-law school, LSAT related subject on TLS and you will get a hell of a thread!
True. This one is good for a few laughs with the logically thought out (AKA the posters did some googling about the issue) straight faced answers that also provided colorful imagery via the descriptions of what to do. However, it falls short of being hall of fame material for this sort of thread in an LSAT study board.

There was a thread in the LSAT study board on LSD back in its golden years when TLS was just a toddler that was just epic. Thread topic was about the merits of sex before the LSAT and whether or not masturbating shortly before taking the test and/or during the break could help you perform better. The thread went on for pages with tons of well thought out hilarious posts.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Jeffort wrote:
mac35352 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
True. This one is good for a few laughs with the logically thought out (AKA the posters did some googling about the issue) straight faced answers that also provided colorful imagery via the descriptions of what to do. However, it falls short of being hall of fame material for this sort of thread in an LSAT study board.

There was a thread in the LSAT study board on LSD back in its golden years when TLS was just a toddler that was just epic. Thread topic was about the merits of sex before the LSAT and whether or not masturbating shortly before taking the test and/or during the break could help you perform better. The thread went on for pages with tons of well thought out hilarious posts.
That's why I said post of the day....there are some hillarious threads out there. I am going to search for the one you mentioned.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”