new and need Advice

rezbama

new and need Advice

Postby rezbama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 pm

So I'm sure I'm like many other forum surfers out there who posts needs/help/advice for others on here, but I truly do need a thread that focused on my situation, and honest prep.

I've taken the LSAT twice now, both times FAR below my personal expectations.

When I first started to study, I was PT 163-171. I then took PowerScore, learned some great Game Techniques, and went into the Oct '10 test thinking this was my first and last time. BOMBED.

So I gained a good lesson in humility and studied rigiourously from December until Feb. (with a few sig. distractions) but for the most part, focused when I needed to be, and took about 17 PT and reviewed them.

My Strengths:
GAMES

My Weakness:
Reading (honestly I do not see how I can improve this AT ALL, esp since FEB RC was EASY, or so I thought)
Logical Reasoning- (I'm fair weathered here, I used to be really good but now I have dipped back down to missing alot)

What should I do? What are some strategies and recommendations for trying to turn my score around from the mid 150's to the 170. I am honestly capable of competing in a top 14 law school, I've sat through clases, reviewed their material and been able to understand and keep up. I have that opportunity at my undergrad to do so.

I have one more shot, June or October, what are everyones thoughts? I am willing to do anything, courses, books, PT's anything to get my score back to where it needs to be.

I graudate from undergrad in May, and I am taking a decent courseload, so with those factors please do let me know what is the bet decision. I believe a 15 [point score increase is very doable if I can just change the perception and interpreptation of the test perhaps?

thank you so much. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on here

mottainai

Re: new and need Advice

Postby mottainai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 pm

rezbama wrote:So I'm sure I'm like many other forum surfers out there who posts needs/help/advice for others on here, but I truly do need a thread that focused on my situation, and honest prep.

I've taken the LSAT twice now, both times FAR below my personal expectations.

When I first started to study, I was PT 163-171. I then took PowerScore, learned some great Game Techniques, and went into the Oct '10 test thinking this was my first and last time. BOMBED.

So I gained a good lesson in humility and studied rigiourously from December until Feb. (with a few sig. distractions) but for the most part, focused when I needed to be, and took about 17 PT and reviewed them.

My Strengths:
GAMES

My Weakness:
Reading (honestly I do not see how I can improve this AT ALL, esp since FEB RC was EASY, or so I thought)
Logical Reasoning- (I'm fair weathered here, I used to be really good but now I have dipped back down to missing alot)

What should I do? What are some strategies and recommendations for trying to turn my score around from the mid 150's to the 170. I am honestly capable of competing in a top 14 law school, I've sat through clases, reviewed their material and been able to understand and keep up. I have that opportunity at my undergrad to do so.

I have one more shot, June or October, what are everyones thoughts? I am willing to do anything, courses, books, PT's anything to get my score back to where it needs to be.

I graudate from undergrad in May, and I am taking a decent courseload, so with those factors please do let me know what is the bet decision. I believe a 15 [point score increase is very doable if I can just change the perception and interpreptation of the test perhaps?

thank you so much. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on here

How did you study the second time? Did you just burn through PTs? Did you review? Did you drill? What was your study method?

rezbama

Postby rezbama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I printed out a few recent LSAT's and did the Ten Actual LSAT and the 10 More Actual LSATS plus a kaplan practice book with tons of questions, and powerscore supplements (including the actual course books and LG bible).

I would do a PT every other day (at least try to), as soon as I woke up and got ready, and review it after. highlight the concepts I got wrong, type of questions and do tons of practice on trying to improve it.

I feel like maybe I need to pick up logic books or the economist and begin reading outside of it? But for LR, there has to be a more direct approach

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 pm

rezbama wrote:I printed out a few recent LSAT's and did the Ten Actual LSAT and the 10 More Actual LSATS plus a kaplan practice book with tons of questions, and powerscore supplements (including the actual course books and LG bible).

I would do a PT every other day (at least try to), as soon as I woke up and got ready, and review it after. highlight the concepts I got wrong, type of questions and do tons of practice on trying to improve it.

I feel like maybe I need to pick up logic books or the economist and begin reading outside of it? But for LR, there has to be a more direct approach

Your study plans sounds good on the surface, but how do you review? Do you simply take note of what kind of question you miss, and then drill that question type?

rezbama

Postby rezbama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:23 pm

pretty much. I look over the question, see what's wrong. half of the time, the questions I miss are narrowed down to the final two and i picked the wrong one. Why? I try and figure it out for the specific question, but I guess I miss the link between the actual question type and what I need to do right.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 pm

rezbama wrote:pretty much. I look over the question, see what's wrong. half of the time, the questions I miss are narrowed down to the final two and i picked the wrong one. Why? I try and figure it out for the specific question, but I guess I miss the link between the actual question type and what I need to do right.

First, the process between reading the question stem and knowing what to look for should be automatic. Even if you don't memorize the "types" of questions, you should always know what you're looking for. Classifying questions into types can be helpful, but you need to understand perfectly what the stem is telling you to look for. In fact, by reading the stimulus, you should already have an idea of what the stem will ask you for. How can you find the right answer, if you don't understand the question?

Also, there's a common saying on this forum that there are two reasons why you get a problem incorrect: you think the right answer is wrong and you think the wrong answer is right.

Since it seems that drilling the question type is not working for you, I would recommend spending more time on reviewing each question. Figure out why you chose the wrong answer and dismissed the right answer.

One method that seems to help people (albeit not myself) is writing out each question, noting why each answer is wrong, writing why the correct answer is correct, and why you chose the wrong answer. It's a bit time consuming, but seeing that you've already gone through a lot of test materials, it might be worth it in your case.

rezbama

Postby rezbama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 pm

would you recommend seeing specific key words that can help me quickly identify the type of question and the type of answer choice structure that could be relevant?

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 pm

The question stem isn't long. Why bother with key words if the question stem is short? If you've taken Powerscore, read the Bibles carefully and you should get a good grasp of how to identify each question.

rezbama

Postby rezbama » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02 am

ah makes sense. Thanks for your help!

IF anyone else has ideas, please keep it posting, I know this can probably help alot of people stuck in between that range

BrianOz1

Postby BrianOz1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 am

If your PT scores are where you say they are under actual conditions, you need to become more confident in your abilities. If you score in that range on your PTs than you can do it, now you just need to do it. I went from a 163 to a 170 just by gaining confidence.

rezbama

Postby rezbama » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 am

BrianOz1 wrote:If your PT scores are where you say they are under actual conditions, you need to become more confident in your abilities. If you score in that range on your PTs than you can do it, now you just need to do it. I went from a 163 to a 170 just by gaining confidence.

yeah no doubt. I was sort of out of it the day of, because I didn't get a wink of sleep thanks to alot of frat parties all around, so i pretty much went into the test awake 40 hours. Ironically, I still managed to finish the test somewhat confident haha

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:22 am

RC: Atlas/Manhattan LSAT's RC guide has been reviewed favorably on TLS. For RC tips and strategies, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127185#p3370904
LR: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127904#p3377198
June or October: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147701#p4026794

rezbama

Postby rezbama » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:07 am

Kurst wrote:RC: Atlas/Manhattan LSAT's RC guide has been reviewed favorably on TLS. For RC tips and strategies, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127185#p3370904
LR: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127904#p3377198
June or October: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147701#p4026794

I wish this was like facebook and I could Like posts, good summary of sources. thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”