people who scored 170+ while working full-time

sangr

people who scored 170+ while working full-time

Postby sangr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Hey guys
this is for anyone who studied the lsat while having another obligation (school,work, family, etc)
yet was able to get a 170+

what was your regime like? my previous scores consist of 165 and 168, so its not like im not used to the LSAT either.

if anyone could give their own personal experiences.

thanks

mr_toad

Re: people who scored 170+ while working full-time

Postby mr_toad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 pm

I work in education (tons of essay grading, etc.) and freelance, total workload of about 50-65 hours a week including weekends.

PTs Saturday and Sunday morning (yes, both mornings), starting at 9am, properly timed, etc.
Review during the week. Usually one PT section each weeknight mixed with reading and reviewing from various Powerscore/Atlas books. I'd say I spent much more time PT-ing than 'studying', although I did study pretty hard for the games (to my mind).

The above was pretty consistent for about two months before my first and second tests; third test I took on a whim (signed up three weeks before and only studied/practiced for those three weeks) and canceled after making a stupid mistake and not catching it.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 pm

I broke the 170s while working FT and keeping up with a significant amount of extracurricular responsibilities; balance and regularity were a huge part of it. I would spend my lunch hour doing one 35 minute section and then going over my wrong answers, and then I'd study an additional hour and a half in the evening, doing usually two sections and then going over my mistakes. On the way to/from work on the bus, I did logic games. I did 1-2 timed tests on the weekends. I went from the high 150s to the 170s this way after two months. It wasn't a huge commitment (basically, I'd turn off the TV after work for a show and a half), but it definitely helped.

Also, I couldn't totally avoid weekend/overtime work, but I did my best to make sure I did at least something LSAT each day, even if it were only 10 LR questions or a logic game or two. You're very close--just the extra practice should make a huge difference.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:36 pm

As a teacher, I headed to the nearest Starbucks after work and started drilling LG and LR. On weekends, I took 1 or 2 practice tests, and reviewed them on Monday. After awhile, I started to attempt practice tests after work, usually before dinner. I didn't push it, however. If you're too burned out, taking a test won't help, but you have to distinguish between being burned out and just pure laziness. I did this for around 3 months.

Like other posters mentioned, it was a pretty big commitment and I ended up pissing off my girlfriend from time to time. In the end, I scored a 170, so I suppose it was all worth it.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Awoke at 6
Got to work at 7:30
Left work at 4:30
Got to the library near home at 5:30
Had a PT done and reviewed by 9.
Went home, rinse and repeat.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 pm

SMA22 wrote:I broke the 170s while working FT and keeping up with a significant amount of extracurricular responsibilities; balance and regularity were a huge part of it. I would spend my lunch hour doing one 35 minute section and then going over my wrong answers, and then I'd study an additional hour and a half in the evening, doing usually two sections and then going over my mistakes. On the way to/from work on the bus, I did logic games. I did 1-2 timed tests on the weekends. I went from the high 150s to the 170s this way after two months. It wasn't a huge commitment (basically, I'd turn off the TV after work for a show and a half), but it definitely helped.

This is very close to what I did. I made a point of doing at least one timed LG section a day on my lunch break or before or after work, and I would do them throughout the day untimed at my desk (I have a lot of free time at work). I found that taking my time with them, diagramming them correctly and figuring them out, made it a lot more intuitive when I had to do it timed. I would usually do another LR or RC section at night, so usually two timed sections every day, one of which was LG. I tried to do at least one full, 5 section timed PT a week, two in the month leading up to the test. Take a day off to prevent burn out when you need to.

I ended up choking on test day and did worse on LG than I had done on a section in probably two months, and still managed to get a 171, though that was at least in part due to two lucky guesses as time was running out.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Full-time work still leaves lots of hours in the day. I did either studying or preptesting for about 3 hours in the evenings and some on weekends.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Couple of hours of PT-ing in the evenings after a run and dinner. Usually only 3-4 hours on Saturday, nothing on Sunday.

My studying was pretty half-assed, TBH. If I were to do it over again, I'd be much stricter about tracking question types, reviewing right/wrong answers, etc.

One thing I think I did well was to take PTs in all kinds of conditions. I got to the point where I could do a RC section while eating dinner and watching TV, with a cat on my lap. I studied at friends' houses, at my dad's house with him chatting at me, in a silent office after work hours, on my patio in the sunshine with some tunes blasting, and in the library in a noisy common room. I became completely impervious to distraction.

I do recommend allowing a little time after work to relax/eat/workout before studying. Let your brain reboot.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I found this thread helpful. After take the exam once before i've resolved to retake and do much better. It gets frustrating some times when I would rather study yet have to be at work all day.

I took 20+ PT last time but don't feel I really understood the questions I was answering. I'm going to keep it to 1 PT/week until June and spend the rest of the time drilling. If anyone else has stories about working full time while prepping for the LSAT i'd like to hear it...

Vuvuzela!!!

Postby Vuvuzela!!! » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:59 pm

In my experience, taking PT after PT was less helpful than actually studying.

I read PowerScore's Logical Reasoning Bible from cover to cover. I did every problem and read every word. I looked at lots of other books and this was by far the most helpful. I made flashcards for all of the problem types and answer possibilities. By the time I took the test, it was a lot easier. Studying is different than taking practice tests, and studying was important.

Also, this next one isn't a LSAT book, but I found it incredibly helpful. It helped me think in the way the LSAT asks you to think. http://www.amazon.com/Informal-Logic-Ha ... d_ys_iyr11

As for my schedule, I would read a chapter or two every night in place of reading for pleasure, then once I'd read everything I would take a practice section at a time. I only took maybe 5 full practice tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”