155 LSAT

mattviphky

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Bought 4 pts from lsat blog people, they come with explanations for LR, so far they are helping me with my reviewing. A pt plus explanations for only 8 bucks, I recommend it...gotta print it out on your dime though

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 pm

...Just took pt 52. I put in LG from PT 48 as an experimental fifth section. This was the first time I put in a fifth section. Anyway I just finished grading it and I am very disappointed. In fact, I'm so incredulous at my score that I am completely numb to it. I got a 159. This is after a 164, 167, 162, 164. I was going into this pt fully expecting at least a 165. I just don't get it. I could say a number of factors were in play...I got up at 6 am today, which is a bit earlier than average, I started the test at 6 pm when I usually start at about 10 am. This was the first time I put in the 5th section and my endurance was completely gone in the last section. LR -6, RC -8, LG -5, LR -8....RC is ridiculous, that should never be above -5 for me....-8 was my worst showing ever. I felt great going through LG, I even finished with a minute or two to spare. LR should be a bit better than that, trying to get like a -10 combined. I wish I could blame this shitty score on all of the factors I mentioned earlier, but I honestly felt good going into the test, so I would be lying if I said I felt subpar. Maybe my brain was a little less sharp than I thought, and maybe I was just unlucky on the close calls, a lot of maybes. I just can't justify a 159 to myself. I told myself that I would get no less than a 165 on test day. I was aiming for a 170...still am, but that is just hopeful confidence talking...I can't get less than a 165, I honestly can't. I can worry about all of the repercussions after I get my score back on the real thing. Right now my focus is entirely on the LSAT. Review tomorrow, study Saturday, test Sunday, review monday, tuesday, wednesday, test thursday, review friday and saturday. Take sunday off, LSAT Monday. Man....159 just doesn't feel real. A 161 and I would feel disgusted and pissed, but 159 just makes me feel numb.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Been there brother, not much I can tell you other then keep your head up. My Pts are always variable between 160-170 and this is after like 8 months of serious studying. Just make sure these last 2 weeks you study with the most recent practice tests, add 5 sections, and strictly follow the 35 minutes per section + break time. Dropping the ball on a practice test is no big deal, you review your mistakes and you figure out where you went wrong.. Dropping the ball on the real thing is a different story. The #1 thing I try to get in my head is to not get down on myself. I get done with an LR section and sometimes I'm so pissed cause I think I didn't do well then I grade it and I pull off a decent score. You can't let yourself get down during the test, you have to just assume you get every question right, including your guesses otherwise your confidence will kill you.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I usually feel pretty confident going through, even though it is sometimes misleading.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Just took pt 62...got a 160. That's two bad pt scores in a row! I was doing mid 160s, even got up to 167, and for 3 out of my last 4 pts I've been doing awful. PT 58 I got a 159, pt 62 I got a 160, and last week I got a 162. I was feeling really awesome 2 weeks ago when I had gotten a 167 and felt like a 168 on test day would be cake. But these last two scores have me reeling. The 159 didn't shake me up too badly...I was just tired and I knew that it happened to everybody, no big deal right? But then i get this 160, and I am shaken up. I'm not too psyched out, I usually don't let things effect my mental game, but it is still heartbreaking to put in all this effort to go up 5 points. Fuck. I take my last pt before the LSAT this Thursday, and I am really hoping for like a 167 to help get my confidence back on track, I mean, I know I can do it. But reviewing till then. I guess other than pt days my review days have been kinda skimpy the last 2 weeks, but I don't think they've been so bad to merit a 160. Was hoping for 170 on test day...settle for a 166 and a possible retake in October now.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Don't give up!

mattviphky wrote:Just took pt 62...got a 160. That's two bad pt scores in a row! I was doing mid 160s, even got up to 167, and for 3 out of my last 4 pts I've been doing awful. PT 58 I got a 159, pt 62 I got a 160, and last week I got a 162. I was feeling really awesome 2 weeks ago when I had gotten a 167 and felt like a 168 on test day would be cake. But these last two scores have me reeling. The 159 didn't shake me up too badly...I was just tired and I knew that it happened to everybody, no big deal right? But then i get this 160, and I am shaken up. I'm not too psyched out, I usually don't let things effect my mental game, but it is still heartbreaking to put in all this effort to go up 5 points. Fuck. I take my last pt before the LSAT this Thursday, and I am really hoping for like a 167 to help get my confidence back on track, I mean, I know I can do it. But reviewing till then. I guess other than pt days my review days have been kinda skimpy the last 2 weeks, but I don't think they've been so bad to merit a 160. Was hoping for 170 on test day...settle for a 166 and a possible retake in October now.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Good luck to you man. This sounds like what happened to me. Ended up with a 157 on test day. Pretty damn sure RC ruined my score too. Just do the best you can to review RC like crazy and hope it clicks when it matters.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Just took my last PT before June LSAT...Got a 163. Not ampd by this score, but not deflated. I felt pretty good on everything except the RC. It was PT 61 october 2010. I went -2 LG, which had pretty easy games considering it is a later lsat. took pts 60 and 62 and they both had much harder lg. Went -8 combined on LR which I was pretty excited about. Now for the kicker, I went -12 on RC...my absolute worst showing yet. on earlier lsats i was averagin -4 on RC, on the 50s and beyond I'm getting like -5 to -8...so -12 was ridiculous. However, it was my first section and I was far from warmed up and ready to go, so I blame maybe 2 misses on that, but I just gotta go back tomorrow and see what I missed and why, -12 seems high, but fixable. Just hope LG is easy on the june lsat. For May I ptd 164, 167, 162, 164, 159, 160, 163. Might be one I'm forgetting about, but that is the gyst. Don't know if i'll retake in october just because I burnt a lot of prep material, although I might depending on how I do. a 166 would be awesome, but it just depends. A 162 and below I'll probably go to SIU cause I'm paid up on seat deposits and that would be a full ride. COA would be like 20k. However, a 166 would give me good money at IUB, and any higher I would likely see what love UIUC or Notre Dame shows me. Liking the midwest, but I might get a hair up my ass and apply to tulane

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Just reviewed the RC section I got a -12 on from Pt 61. I was rushed for time on the last section and blazed through all 8 questions for this section, missing 6 alone on the passage about black historians. Redid the passage, I found only 2 that I would have used the same answer on, so I made 4 dumb decisions on the last passage alone. Man, I wound up with a 163 on this pt overall, and if I had warmed up before taking the pt I feel like I could have gotten 165+ and a nice boost of confidence going into Monday. Bought another pt, 49, just for the games to do today and warm up with on monday. Feeling serene and relaxed. Nothing more I can do except some review, a few questions, and getting sleep. I've kinda been in this coast mode for the last 2 weeks, and I feel like I could have put in many more hours than I did, especially when I see how frantic people are on this forum with only like a week and half out. Hopefully not studying hella hard during the last 2 weeks won't haunt me. But I've been putting in time and effort since February, so I'm feeling confident. Not 170 confident, but hell, anything can happen. Aiming for a 166 now.

just win baby

Postby just win baby » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Hey buddy good luck on Monday... just stay confident.

This should give you inspiration.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8BfH1Q_zM

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:24 pm

if i spent all the time i'm on tls actually studying i would be at a steady 180

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:55 pm

mattviphky wrote:if i spent all the time i'm on tls actually studying i would be at a steady 180

How many hours per day were you studying?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:37 pm

it was just a joke, but i started late February and probably studied 2-3 hours/4-5 days a week. However the last 2 weeks have been kinda coasting. I take a pt and then loosely review for 2-3 days. I wish I had a harder push going into the last few days, but nothing I can do now. It was mostly because I was running low on study materials, but I feel ok...we'll see how I feel this time tomorrow.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

For some reason I randomly ended up on this thread and read through the entire thing. Anyways, how do you think you did on the actual LSAT? Hopefully you achieved your goal!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Well I think I did much better, but I feel like a fell way short of my goal. Walked into the testing center feeling pretty good. I had been studying since late february and had made huge improvements. However the two weeks before the test I had been in kind of a coast mode and was just doing pt with little review. I really wish i had bought the games work book so I could have done a few games daily leading up to the test. First section was LG. Killed it, did not miss a single question. I felt awesome, but I was also hoping like hell that it would be the only LG section on the entire test. Section 2 was LR, went alright. I didn't answer 3 questions tho, I didn't even guess, just left them blank. I wish the proctor would give a 1 minute warning for frantic guesses, but when she called time i definitely didnt want to be caught filling in bubbles so I put my pencil down. Other than those 3 I felt good. Next section was LG. Fuck, there goes my perfect score. This section was much harder. I felt like the first section was too easy to be real and this section was too hard to be real either. I just didn't know what to do, all break I wanted to get on TLS and scream for advice about which section was real, later confirmed that the second lg was real. so shit. I probably went -3 to -7 on this section, I really have no idea. Break time, 5 hour energy, didnt really need it though. It's amazing how good you feel after taking pts all month when you sit down for the real thing. I felt ok going into my 4th section, RC was good, so maybe -3 to -6. Then last lr section. guessed on 2 due to time. Everything went ok. I don't think I got anywhere near my goal of 170, but I felt like I did better than my original score of 155. I will update once I get my final score. I was frustrated and anxious at first, felt like WHY THE HELL DIDNT I BUBBLE THOSE THREEE LR IN! or WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I STUDY THE LG A WHOLE LOT MORE!! But yeah, typical post-test remorse. Oh well, out of my hands now. I feel like I am going to get a 160, which is frustrating considering how much i studied and everything. Over three months solid prep for a 5 point gain? I don't know. I feel like I could take all of June off and start studying in July for OCtober lsat, but I don't know if I should. a 160 means a whole lot of scholly at SIU, so I don't know if i should take this october or just go to school. I want to do better, and I feel like i can do better, but waht if I make it to October and I don't do well? I wouldn't mind a year off tho. However, I feel like a 164 would give me more incentive to take a year off cuz it would mean scholly money at a lot of schools I want to go to, so I might as well retake anyway. But a 160 doesn't afford me that benefit.

cnyltiak

Postby cnyltiak » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:02 am

Honestly, (and take this with a grain of salt because I took the LSAT for the first time and haven't gotten a score back yet) if you've been studying for a while, coasting near the end is a good idea I think. Personally, I had decent scores initially (low 160s) and as I worked got up to high 160s, but then started dipping again slightly because I was second-guessing and overthinking in the sections I usually do relatively well on. So for the last week I decided to stop taking practice tests and just reviewed some earlier wrong answers/read the superprep info about all the sections and reviewed my diagramming techniques for LG. Other than slightly choking on the real LG section, which was always my worst anyways, I feel like this worked pretty well for me and I was pretty relaxed and didn't overthink too much.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:16 pm

WELL SHIT. If you haven't really read any of this thread, I'll just give a little recap. I took the October lsat with very little prep, like 2 weeks with a kaplan book and one pt. I came out with a 155. Wasn't bummed really, it was what I deserved. With this score I got a 5k/year scholarship to SIU (a school I would be fine going to). After getting on TLS and being inspired to score higher and go to a different school (was aiming WUSTL, UIUC, ND), I bought both powerscore bibles lr and lg, although LG would be the only one I would recommend 100% of the time...seriously, it was awesome. I also bought top ten, next top ten books (beware, these pts are much easier, especially with lg and rc) This was in late February, which gave me a little over 3 months to study for June. Sitting down and taking a cold diagnostic in Feb, I gotta 153. Alright, totally motivated to get a 170. Read LG bible, which helped immensely improved LG, RC would fluctuate, I was -3 on older pts, but more like -7 on newer ones. LR got a little bit better. Went from like -8,-8 to like -4,-6. I studied hard the last week of February, most of March, all of April. April was probably my most intense month because I was devoted to getting my LR up. Second week of May i started doing pts, with a 2-3 day review session after each one. With a bout a month left I started getting lazy and losing motivation. I was burnt out and my reviewing was poor. If I could do it again I would have started about a month earlier and taken like 2 weeks off somewhere in late april and early may. But my scores were good. From like pt 50-62 I was getting 162-167. Felt pretty encouraged. I was a lock for SIU full ride, and depending on how well I did, I would be looking at applying to other schools. However, I wanted to get a 170. As much as I would have loved to have gone to WUSTL and ND, I would not have done so without a very significant scholarship. However, I was toying with the idea about ed'ing to UIUC if i was in the 166 range, and volunteer for a 6 month deployment (im in the national guard), which would entitle me to the illinois veterans grant, which means a full ride tuition to any state school program. that was my big conundrum, full ride at siu, or pay more for more prestige. However, this proved to be overly presumpteous. I took june lsat feeling good, took the first section and did not miss one, 2 sections later i realized that my first section was an experimental lg...shit, there goes my perfect lg section. Anyways, after stewing for three weeks and thinking I was somewhere between a 160 and 164, at the very lowest a 159, I got my score back. 158. What the fuck. I studied my ass off for three months for a 3 point gain! I guess i put the cart before the horse, because any time i thought about the upcoming year (i proceeded like i was going to enroll in siu this fall by paying seat deposits, etc, just in case i decided to go) i always played out this situation with me having a full ride, the only question is what other schools my score would get me into. I was pting 162-167, and felt good. I had LR, LG, RC, LR. I went
-5 (I did not answer 3 questions do to timing, i wish i had worked faster, an extra minute and i could have skimmed the questions and made guesstimications), -8 (thought it would be something like -5 to -8), -8 (thought i did well, like -5), and -8 (thought it was more like -4 to -6). For a grand total of 72 raw. 158. Man. Well if I enroll this fall, that puts me at 6k a year for scholarships. I improved 3 points and was offered only 1k extra a year. However, if I had missed one less and gotten a 159, I would be on a 9k a year scholarship. 161 would be a full ride. The school is 31k a year total, which would put me at 25k a year left after scholarship, with money saved and (grand)parent contribution, it would be more like 10k a year. I don't mind going to SIU, if I do really well (I know its cliche, but I'm gunning for number one in my class) I could transfer, but I am completely comfortable with a degree from SIU. So, retake? I would have to miss a year, which I wouldnt mind doing, but I would rather start this fall. Plus I am completely burnt out studying, I am just now recovering my social life. I only did pts 1-20, 50-62, so I could invest in more study material. So october is viable, but so is this fall. I just don't know what to do. While I like the idea of going in the fall, I am not ready at all to move, buy all my shit, and start school in less than 7 weeks. However, 15 months just seems like a loooong time. But I can keep myself busy and productive. I know what everyone is going to tell me on here, but its gonna be a hard sell for my parents and gparents who are not entirely sold on me taking a year off. They're not overbearing, but they're insistent, and they're persistently insistent. They mean well, we all know people who turned a year off into never going back. Ahhhhh this sucks. I feel like I would be in the same position with anything less than a 168 however. But I don't see myself ever getting that.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:00 pm

thinking i'm going to take a year to retake in october an reapply. read my above post to see what happened in june. I'm going to start studying next week and devote myself to LG prep. LR and RC will receive some attention, but LG for a month solid. Powerscore workbook and pts 30-40. Let's do this. I went -13 LG in October, -8 in June (should have been more like -5, stupid mistakes) but I am gunning for -0 in October. My LG had improved by a whole lot...but I think after getting to me second LG section (the real section) I got nervous and choked. -29 total for a 158. Not cool, not cool at all. SIU called today to offer me a 6k a year scholarship, but 1 more point and it would have been 8k, and 3 more would have been a full ride. I should have gotten a 162 on this past test, but since I have three more months I'm aiming for a 170 this time around...again. Aim high I guess.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:56 pm

still a big dream to go to notre dame. i think i'll visit some time in july to help motivate me to study for this upcoming lsat

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I start studying again tomorrow. I think I got a good grasp of things studying for this last lsat, i just have to fine tune everything. pretty much need to learn how to review though. Also drill LG in a smart way, i'll try the eugenie method. Review LR bible...it didnt do much for me last time, plus i think i psyched myself out of studying it properly. 155-158-170? 12 points is a hell of a jump, but if I am high and fall a little short, I'll be satisfied. Pretty much Illinois schools and ND are my goals...but ND is the only one I would even remotely consider paying anything near sticker for

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:40 pm

So just started studying today, planning on just doing like 2ish hours a day for a while. did a lg and lr section plus review today. I don't remember the pt, it was a pdf and from somewhere in the 50s, but I went -2 LG and -4 LR, feeling good. I'm going to put alotta focus on lg this month, i purchased pts in the 30s, which i have heard are difficult, and the powerscore lg workbook. Going to go hard this month lg, lr in august, pt in september, test in october. I'm not gonna spend a crazy amount of time, i think i'lll be much more effective going an hour, break, hour, break, hour, something like that. obviously won't do that with pts, but i retain information so much better with hourly breaks. I got a good grasp of LG, i just want to fine tune it and be completely prepared for whatever october throws at me. do lr pretty hard and try to improve. rc too. i took all pts in 50s thru 62 last time, but im gonna do pts 30-60 this time, and im going to work on my reviewing skills. Going to follow eugenies method of printing off multiple copies of lg and reviewing them. 4 games a day this month. aiming for a 170 in October, but I'm prepping for a 180

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Determined to retake in October. I told my family that I wouldn't be going to LS this fall, they were pretty disappointed. They feel that I'm sacrificing a scholarship that may not be available next year, I can't really blame them. They are very fiscally conservative people and they are only looking out for what they think are my best interests. However, I feel like I am capable of a much better score. I got a 155 in October, a 158 in June (choked) and I'm looking for a 170+ in October. I started studying last week after taking some time off. I feel like I got a good grasp of the basics when I was studying for June, I put in a lot of hours and i was pting in the 162-167 range. But now that I have a month break under my belt and 3 months to go I can tighten my game up. One big thing is that I am a terrible reviewer, and now I'm working on that skill. I'm also studying smarter, I bought the PT book from lsac that has 29-38 for the hard lgs...and so i have more pts. I photocopied all the lg games and i bought the powerscore lg workbook and i copied all those games too. I put all of the games in a folder and I am going to do 2 new games a day and 2 old games a day, probably 5 days a week. I'm going to pt once a week until september, when i will pt every 3 days. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on lg this month, lr in august, and pt in september. I just took PT 30 today, and i felt really good. I went -3 on LG, -3,-5 on LR, and -5 on RC. This gave me a 169 overall, I was biting my fingers while I was running through the key because I was just hoping to get that elusive 170. I was pretty close, but -16 probably won't be a 169 on any future test I might take, that was a pretty friendly curve. I'm going to review tomorrow so i dont know how i did yet, but ill figure it out tomorrow. I know a 85 would probably be something more like a 166 on a normal test, but I still feel like this a good jumping off point. Really aiming for a 174 in October, but 170+ would be fine. Looking at those LR Manhattan things that are grouped by question type to buy next

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:07 pm

good luck to you.. I will be retaking in Oct as well but I am just not ready to start studying yet... Fell burnt out...

thegoodpart

Postby thegoodpart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey man, been reading your thread and I'm in the same boat. I first took it in Dec. with 5 months of studying I just buckled under the pressure and got a score i was not satisfied with. Studied for Feb. and to my dismay actually scored lower on my retake. I attribute it to burn out from studying for LSAT back to back. I'm currently studying for Oct. hoping to get at least 165.

I know what its like to be defeated and not know how to study for something you thought you could get a 180 on. My advice is to go and look at the threads where people post pics of nice schools and libraries, that always gets me ready to kick my terrible scores ass (corny I know). Also RC kicks my ass too, its my weakest and is the section that drives my score down sooo hardcore so I recommend getting the RC Bible, it has helped me some and every little bit helps.

Good luck!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:10 pm

IamIn wrote:good luck to you.. I will be retaking in Oct as well but I am just not ready to start studying yet... Fell burnt out...

yeah man i had to take a month off and even then i felt like i couldnt study past 30 minutes before i lost interest. but i took a pt and that helped motivate me to get back into it

thegoodpart wrote:Hey man, been reading your thread and I'm in the same boat. I first took it in Dec. with 5 months of studying I just buckled under the pressure and got a score i was not satisfied with. Studied for Feb. and to my dismay actually scored lower on my retake. I attribute it to burn out from studying for LSAT back to back. I'm currently studying for Oct. hoping to get at least 165.

I know what its like to be defeated and not know how to study for something you thought you could get a 180 on. My advice is to go and look at the threads where people post pics of nice schools and libraries, that always gets me ready to kick my terrible scores ass (corny I know). Also RC kicks my ass too, its my weakest and is the section that drives my score down sooo hardcore so I recommend getting the RC Bible, it has helped me some and every little bit helps.

Good luck!

Yeah RC can be tricky for me....haha that is exactly what i'm doing. i go to the threads with pictures of nice law schools and that helps motivate me to study at times. Good luck in october!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”