155 LSAT

mattviphky

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Yeah, trying to at least improve my RC this month, I was missing a good deal of the other sections, so I gave them priority up until this point in the game...now its full tests/review/some bible work until June 6. I just took Superprep B, missed -5/-7 on LR, -6 Games, and -5 RC for a score of 164. I'm not too bummed or too excited by this, I'm just taking it as a sign of progress and using it as a launch pad for the month...looking to only go up from here. I have heard that LG in Superprep are really hard, so -6 didn't tear me up to badly (although I missed 4 on one game). RC was a little disappointing. Although I've only done a little RC, my latest score was a -3, so I was hoping for something like that. My first LR section was -5, so I was pretty stoked up until I scored the second section. Both scores need to improve, but I'm happy about how far I've come and how much time I have left to improve. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll be at 168, and 2 weeks from there at 170. Just gotta drastically improve LR, and tighten up my RC and LG some.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Mon May 02, 2011 9:13 pm

mattviphky wrote:Yeah, trying to at least improve my RC this month, I was missing a good deal of the other sections, so I gave them priority up until this point in the game...now its full tests/review/some bible work until June 6. I just took Superprep B, missed -5/-7 on LR, -6 Games, and -5 RC for a score of 164. I'm not too bummed or too excited by this, I'm just taking it as a sign of progress and using it as a launch pad for the month...looking to only go up from here. I have heard that LG in Superprep are really hard, so -6 didn't tear me up to badly (although I missed 4 on one game). RC was a little disappointing. Although I've only done a little RC, my latest score was a -3, so I was hoping for something like that. My first LR section was -5, so I was pretty stoked up until I scored the second section. Both scores need to improve, but I'm happy about how far I've come and how much time I have left to improve. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll be at 168, and 2 weeks from there at 170. Just gotta drastically improve LR, and tighten up my RC and LG some.

Congrats, you're definitely showing signifigant improvement. I noticed that you mentioned you missed four questions on one of the games. Is preptest B the one with the tree game? I still remember that game and remember that I missed like four questions on it too.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue May 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Yep. "A park contains seven kind of trees..." Yeah, that game sucked. I couldn't get off the ground, I felt like I was missing one HUGE inference, or just not diagramming right, hopefully there isn't one of those games that just absolutely throws me for a loop in june.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 pm

mattviphky wrote:Yep. "A park contains seven kind of trees..." Yeah, that game sucked. I couldn't get off the ground, I felt like I was missing one HUGE inference, or just not diagramming right, hopefully there isn't one of those games that just absolutely throws me for a loop in june.

Honest to god, I still don't understand the game. There's never been a game that has frustrated me as much as this game.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri May 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Absolutely fucking disgusted. I just took the first section of pt 59, LR. I'm so tired and I didn't even want to study, but I feel like i should because I haven't studied that much this week, and I forced myself to sit down and take an entire PT. But I missed 9 on the first LR section....I'm so pissed. I was so tired going through it and lines continued to blur, so I know 9 is not indicative of my usual performance, but it is just frustrating to see such an abysmal score. I'm going to do the rest of it now. But even if I do my personal bests on the rest of the test, I'm still going to finish with like a 163. fuck.

mediadude88

Postby mediadude88 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Have you considered applying to University of Illinois Law? I'm here with an lsat in the 150s. My roomate's here with a similar score. We both applied early decision however. If you retake this fall, hopefully things improve. If you find yourself in this range, applying ED here if you want to practice in the Midwest is not the worst option for you at all. If your GPA is above median, you have a shot of getting in. You'll be instate here too obviously. It sounds like your Dad is harping on you to stay in Springfield while you're considering places like Chicago. OCI has taken a hit here but we've got a new career services dean based remotely in Chicago trying to improve things. So you'd have some options for Chicago and you always have connections in Central IL to fall back- central IL folks and downstate folks love U of I for some reason, so you'd probably at least be more competitive around home with U of I backing you than SIU if it came down to that.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Good luck! LG is the easiest to improve. I'm sure you can get a 170.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm

I know LG is the easiest to improve (i went from -13 diag to a personal best of -2 in two months)...I actually got a -3 LG on the PT 59, which is my one saving grace seeing as how I completely bombed the first LR section (-9) and had my worst performance yet on RC (-7) My typical scores for LR is -5 to -8, which has been closer to -5 over the past couple weeks as I have been studying that section more and more, so a -9 was really frustrating to see. The -7 RC really did piss me off as well, as I'm usually between -3 to -5 on that section. So I was hoping for -5/-5 LR, -4 RC, and was aiming for about a -3 LG for raw score of 83. I'm really frustrated that I took that deep of a hit. But I'm going to review a little bit today and a whole lot tomorrow and do PT 60 Sunday. Normally I wouldn't to do PTs so close together, but I'm really motivated right now to not suck. Optimistic note however, LG was -3, so that is nice to see. But it still doesn't redeem the other shitty numbers.
Last edited by mattviphky on Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I actually would love to attend UIUC. However, I am a splitter, sitting on a 3.0 LSAC GPA. So I need all the help I can get. I'm also hoping for a scholarship, and I feel like ED'ing would take away any incentive for the school to give me one. I really am interested in UIUC, so would you mind sharing your numbers? Also, did they offer you a scholarship? Yes, I'm more interested in Chicago than anything else, but would do just in fine in St. Louis or any other metro in the Midwest.

just win baby

Postby just win baby » Sat May 07, 2011 1:16 am

to the OP:

so you base your score(s) off of PTs that you start one day and finish the next? I'm confused..

Good luck to you, I understand the pressure you feel from your dad.

My whole life I wanted to go to Notre Dame- I dreamed of playing football in South Bend. My brother (who is a jerk) and my dad discouraged me a bit and told me I needed to be more realistic- and settle for a job with them at the steel mill. Sadly I lost my best friend in a disastrous accident at the steel mill- I decided education- and Notre Dame were waiting for me. I did a few semesters at a community college in my area and finally transferred to Notre Dame. It took two years of being on the practice squad to finally suit up for the final game of my senior season.

Don't give up on your goals!!

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat May 07, 2011 2:00 am

just win baby wrote:to the OP:

so you base your score(s) off of PTs that you start one day and finish the next? I'm confused..

My whole life I wanted to go to Notre Dame- I dreamed of playing football in South Bend. My brother (who is a jerk) and my dad discouraged me a bit and told me I needed to be more realistic- and settle for a job with them at the steel mill. Sadly I lost my best friend in a disastrous accident at the steel mill- I decided education- and Notre Dame were waiting for me. I did a few semesters at a community college in my area and finally transferred to Notre Dame. It took two years of being on the practice squad to finally suit up for the final game of my senior season.

+1

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat May 07, 2011 10:54 am

just win baby wrote:to the OP:

You sound a lot like Joe Montana. Were you a QB at ND during the 70's? I don't know if I should feel inspired or offended. But thanks? Yeah, I usually sit down and PT the whole thing at once, but when I just do sections/review over 2 days or something from one pt, I still add the score up just out of curiosity. I know if I got like a 170 this way it wouldn't reflect my actual score, but I still do 4 section pt's from start to finish. However, on monday I'm gonna start throwing in the fifth experimental section.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Sun May 08, 2011 3:15 am

mattviphky wrote:You sound a lot like Joe Montana. Were you a QB at ND during the 70's? I don't know if I should feel inspired or offended. But thanks? Yeah, I usually sit down and PT the whole thing at once, but when I just do sections/review over 2 days or something from one pt, I still add the score up just out of curiosity. I know if I got like a 170 this way it wouldn't reflect my actual score, but I still do 4 section pt's from start to finish. However, on monday I'm gonna start throwing in the fifth experimental section.

If your dad really loves ND I wouldn't recommend showing him this post.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun May 08, 2011 3:25 am

minnesotasam wrote:
mattviphky wrote:You sound a lot like Joe Montana. Were you a QB at ND during the 70's? I don't know if I should feel inspired or offended. But thanks? Yeah, I usually sit down and PT the whole thing at once, but when I just do sections/review over 2 days or something from one pt, I still add the score up just out of curiosity. I know if I got like a 170 this way it wouldn't reflect my actual score, but I still do 4 section pt's from start to finish. However, on monday I'm gonna start throwing in the fifth experimental section.

hahhahahaha

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 am

I wouldn't say he really loves ND, but he appreciates what ND is. And why?

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Sun May 08, 2011 9:52 am

mediadude88 wrote:Have you considered applying to University of Illinois Law? I'm here with an lsat in the 150s. My roomate's here with a similar score. We both applied early decision however. If you retake this fall, hopefully things improve. If you find yourself in this range, applying ED here if you want to practice in the Midwest is not the worst option for you at all. If your GPA is above median, you have a shot of getting in. You'll be instate here too obviously. It sounds like your Dad is harping on you to stay in Springfield while you're considering places like Chicago. OCI has taken a hit here but we've got a new career services dean based remotely in Chicago trying to improve things. So you'd have some options for Chicago and you always have connections in Central IL to fall back- central IL folks and downstate folks love U of I for some reason, so you'd probably at least be more competitive around home with U of I backing you than SIU if it came down to that.

URM? If not, how high was your GPA when you applied?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 am

minnesotasam wrote:

yeah, i got the rudy reference, I was just trying to be funny. Trust me, watching Rudy is part of the curricula at any midwestern catholic hs

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 am

It's very interesting reading these posts as they track your studies and progress. Keep updating us and good luck.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Just took PT 59 (december 09) Took a hit on LG with -6, first LR was a disappointment with -7, but my second LR was a personal best by far with a -2. My RC was a little rough with -6. Honestly, despite not doing too great on 3 sections, I still felt really good about this PT. I missed so many on LG due to timing. I went into the last game with less than 5 minutes, which is something that I do pretty consistently, but up until June I am doing a firm 35 min on each section. I went back and looked over my missed answers and sure enough I missed 4 on the last game. I can confidently say that with an extra 3 minutes I would be at like a -3 for the section. I know that seems pretty meaningless, I mean if everyone had a couple extra minutes then scores would be a lot different. But I'm taking it as a sign of progress more than anything. I'm getting answers right, I just have to tighten my pace to a solid 35 minutes. With the repetition of pting all may, I hope to become faster at the games. Doing sections consistently in 32 minutes is the goal for speed. In the first LR timing bit me again and I missed the last 3 straight by circling random answers before time ran out. But even after and I went back and reviewed them, I am confident that I would have only gotten 1 of them right. The next LR felt good, but really most of them do, I rarely do and LR and feel like I did shitty. I just feel good but then get totally deflated when I get like a -6/-7. But while I was grading I just kept waiting to get a whole series of questions wrong, it usually seems that if I miss any, I'll miss them in a block. But I only missed 2, so I am pretty psyched about that. I've been doing the LRB a little bit, but it is much harder to follow than the LGB. But I think a combination of LRB and doing LR sections is definitely helping. I hope this -2 becomes routine, I think the lowest I've ever gotten before today was like a -5. Feels really good man, really good. But I gotta keep at to ensure that this wasn't a fluke. After getting -9 on one LR section Friday I was so pissed and read the LRB like never before. Failure is definitely motivating. This is my second PT that was not in the original or next 10 books. I gotta say, the RC in these recent tests is WAY harder than the older ones. I was getting like -3 on the older ones, and I got a -6 on this one. I would be upset, but honestly I thought I had missed way more. Most of my answers just felt like gut feeling more than anything...which is the type of thing I second guess on. I definitely hate the gut feeling answers because I feel so vulnerable. So in the end I got a raw score of 80 and a 164. If my timing on the last game was a little bit stronger I could have finished with a 167. The reason I feel good is that just improving timing would have resulted in a 167, very close to my goal of 170. It feels a lot better than being at like 160 and having no understanding of the test to score any higher. So if I get the timing down, familiarize myself with RC a bit more, keep up with LG, and keep improving my LR, come June I feel like a 170 is definitely attainable. However, big difference between chilling at home taking this 4 section test and being in a classroom agonizing over a 5 section LSAT. So I'm gonna start throwing in a fifth section and taking these things in a library or something. 164 wasn't an awesome score, but I feel like it was pretty telling of my potential and what I can realistically accomplish in a month.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 09, 2011 3:43 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:It's very interesting reading these posts as they track your studies and progress. Keep updating us and good luck.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement, posting updates on TLS helps motivate me

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Just took PT 56, december of 2008. Got a 167! Definitely excited by this. First section was LG, I killed it, went -2. Felt awesome. I was one of those people who were routinely missing half of LG, but I got the LGB, and combining that with a lot of questions, I've gone from -13 diag to -2 in little over 2 months. Definitely learnable. Next section was LR. This section has made me nervous for a while, as I was consistently getting -8ish per section. I've been trying to study LRB, but I think doing a number of LR sections is helping me the most. The LGB was life changing, the LRB-not so much. But I've been doing a lot of prep lately, and just being familiar with the questions helps things click so much easier than I ever thought. Went -5 that section. Next section was LR again, went -4. Felt awesome scoring these sections, I was just flying through the answers and the key because I just felt like I got em all right. It was a good feeling going through and grading those sections. RC had me mad nervous. I was doing great on this section on older PTs, but these new 50s ones are much harder. Nearly all of my answers came by gut feeling rather than complete understanding. On the old sections you could prephrase your way through most of these questions, but now they are very hard. But I got a -4. I was pretty nervous, I just as easily could have only got 4 right for all I knew. But I -15 total for a 167...Feeling fucking ampd about this. Time to start throwing in a 5th experimental and using an answer sheet rather than just circling answers... this will probably take away valuable time, so I need to get my timing and endurance in order. Review all weekend, next pt monday. Aiming for a 170 in June, but I'll settle for a 171.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Just took the first two sections of the june 2009 pt, 56 i think? But the LG was pretty hard...I got a -5, but that was from guessing D on the whole last game and getting lucky on one. I really shouldn't count a lucky guess, but the point is it was hard and I didn't even have time to do the last game. The questions weren't ridiculous in length or rules or anything, but they provided absolutely no inferences, and none of them were easy. Usually a LG section will have at least one easy linear to blow out of the water, but every questions was difficult...manageable, but difficult in the time eating sense. Went -6 on the first LR, I guessed on three questions cuz I ran out of time. So I coulda done a little bit better. I havent studied since Thursday, and although that doesn't sound like a like long time, I feel like my brain was totally rusty on like the first 15 LR questions...took me forever to get through the first 10 cuz I would just lose interest. But now I feel motivated and I'm going back to finish it. Can't believe the how rusty i felt after only 3 days off.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Just took the June 2010 lsat (pt 60) and got a 162. Not exactly stoked about this...I just gotta start reviewing better to see what I missed and why. The weird thing was that I missed 6 on every single section. LG was pretty difficult and I just plain ran out of time on this section and had to guess the last 3 questions. Have the past june lsats been pretty rough with LG? I know there are various posts out there about lsats being harder and easier, but is this the case for LG? Anyway I missed 6 on LG due to a time crunch...kinda bummed, thats kinda high for me. LR was alright I guess, of course there were a couple that could gone better...but -12 for all LR is fairly typical...I wanna get like -8 range. So I just gotta review, I'm not very goodat reviewing. RC was very disappointing. I missed all 6 on the first 2 passages. I think I was starting to fatigue. Thats the thing I gotta fix as well, just keeping my mental endurance up. PT and review with some bible work up until june. My highest pt has been 167 so far...I keep bouncing between 162-167 on pts, but I always do worse on June. O

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Just took PT 52 (sept 07). I went -4 on the first LR section, -4 on the LG section, -6 on the second LR section, and -3 on the RC section for a raw score of 82 out of 99, and a score of 164. This seems like sort of a harsh conversion. When I sat back and graded my sections, I looked at my handiwork and thought I had gotten like a 166-167. 164 seems a bit low. As for the sections, I felt kinda tired going through the first LR section...I was going to take it at 10, but instead waited for 1230 to anticipate the real thing...but I felt groggy at about this time...gonna wake up later on sunday and test day i guess so I don't experience this lethargy again. But then again, adrenaline might suffice. But I missed 4 on the first LR section, which is really good for me, my best is -2, and I'm usually like -5/-6. Next section was LG, went -4. Usually I miss about this on LG, but my misses are more confined to the last game, as I have a timing issue, however, i Missed like one question for every game which isnot very typical of me. Next section was LR again. Felt like I did much better on this section than on the first one, but I missed 6 anyways. It could have been me just drinking some coffee going into this section that helped me feel more alert without actually being more analytical. RC went very well. I was usually getting -3 on the older pt sections. But I went from like 1-20 pts straight to the 50s, and RC became much harder in these later lsats, so me missing 5 was pretty commonplace. I honestly never have any idea how RC will go, I could miss nothing, I could miss them all, I never feel 100% on anything. Disclaimer, I did take a break in between my first and section section instead of third and fourth. Like i said, I was tired. I know i won't have this luxury come June 6th, so i think I will drink coffee, sleep in a bit, and rely on some adrenaline to get me through. This was a part of some PTS I bought from the lsatblog people, I bought four pts with the LR explanations, because I am not very diligent when it comes to reviewing, and I think this will help. The superprep series helped me, so I hope this does too. 2 weeks until the BIG DAY, so I'm going to take these 4 pts, review for two days with some LRB, and hopefully hit the 170. I'm out of games though, and I have been for a while, i LIKed doing a few games before i even started studying because it woke me up a little bit, and they were fun. But I'm completely out and don't want to use up my pt ones..any suggestions? It seems like the Powerscore Games book would have been a goo investment a couple weeks ago, but 2 weeks out and a week for delivery...I just don't know. But I need something. My highest PT score so far has been a 167, and I hope with my pt practice and reviewing over the next two weeks I'll be at least a consistent 168.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 22, 2011 5:53 pm

just looked in PT 60, it was out of 99 questions too, and with an 82 I would have gotten a 166. I know it's not really fair to compare the two scales, but I still felt like a 164 was very low for a -17.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”