155 LSAT

Spacemyace

Re: 155 LSAT

Postby Spacemyace » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 am

Dude, your progress is being followed and to some extent, it does serve as a benchmark for others. So please keep up the posting and I'm sure that at sometime, some candidates will be sending you PM for advise. I personally bookmarked this thread.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks i appreciate the support! To everyone taking in December, GOOD LUCK! Just keep studying and pting and all that jazz. You can look through my posts to see my own progress, but beyond just prepping I think confidence has a big part in getting a good score. Before I took a pt I would go into the bathroom and act like it was a college football locker room. I would psych myself up, whispered yelling, chest pounding, all that. I would tell myself that this is practice for the big day, and if i kill it then I would be looking at getting "scouted" at ND, WUSTL, etc and be making millions. Just pumping myself up like this, although somewhat crazy, really improved my confidence when i went and sat down to study. You don't have to do all of this, I'm just illustrating my point.

As far as my cycle is going, most of my stuff has been sent off. I've applied to ND, WUSTL, UIUC, SLU. I requested a fee waiver twice from Tulane and didn't get one, so I'll wait until next week and apply there if they don't finally send an unsolicited fee waiver. I'm going to apply to Loyola Chicago tomorrow, as that is the only school in Chicago that would accept me and that I would actually consider. I like Chicago, but I don't know if I would want to work/live there, even if I somehow could. Throw in the crapshoot for jobs from Loyola into the mix and it makes me really apprehensive to go there...but they could somehow pull out big money this year, although they don't seem to do it according to LSN. I'll be applying to IUB as well. I find myself looking at some solid T1 schools, like SMU, Wake Forest, Temple, and Tulane, all of which would offer me money, but I just don't know what they would do for me career-wise. Although I feel pretty mobile, my focus is on a job in St. Louis, but I just don't feel like these schools would open doors as much as SLU would. I wish SLU had a better rep, just because I look at Philly and its like Penn is awesome and Temple is good too, but there is a huge rankings disparity between SLU and WUSTL. Again, i hate to involve rankings, especially when it involves the merits of a TTT in an insular market, but it's hard to look past.

Finally, if you are thinking of taking a year off, then do it. I was so set on going to law school last year that I applied to Kent PT just so I could get in. What the fuck!? Why would I want to go to Kent PT when I want full time and I don't want to live in Chicago? It's just because I was so focused on going to law school that year that I would have done anything. Guys, its ok to take a year off. It gives you an opportunity to focus on the LSAT, work and save money, hang out with friends and family, and recharge your batteries before you have to move off and start studying again. Seriously, I almost went, but I am so glad I retook. If I wind up at SLU, then that's fine. If I had gone off the waitlist last year, then I would be paying sticker right now and be totally fatigued from going straight from undergrad into law school. But if I go there next year, I will have big money and be well rested.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:11 pm

mattviphky wrote:Thanks i appreciate the support! To everyone taking in December, GOOD LUCK! Just keep studying and pting and all that jazz. You can look through my posts to see my own progress, but beyond just prepping I think confidence has a big part in getting a good score. Before I took a pt I would go into the bathroom and act like it was a college football locker room. I would psych myself up, whispered yelling, chest pounding, all that. I would tell myself that this is practice for the big day, and if i kill it then I would be looking at getting "scouted" at ND, WUSTL, etc and be making millions. Just pumping myself up like this, although somewhat crazy, really improved my confidence when i went and sat down to study. You don't have to do all of this, I'm just illustrating my point.

As far as my cycle is going, most of my stuff has been sent off. I've applied to ND, WUSTL, UIUC, SLU. I requested a fee waiver twice from Tulane and didn't get one, so I'll wait until next week and apply there if they don't finally send an unsolicited fee waiver. I'm going to apply to Loyola Chicago tomorrow, as that is the only school in Chicago that would accept me and that I would actually consider. I like Chicago, but I don't know if I would want to work/live there, even if I somehow could. Throw in the crapshoot for jobs from Loyola into the mix and it makes me really apprehensive to go there...but they could somehow pull out big money this year, although they don't seem to do it according to LSN. I'll be applying to IUB as well. I find myself looking at some solid T1 schools, like SMU, Wake Forest, Temple, and Tulane, all of which would offer me money, but I just don't know what they would do for me career-wise. Although I feel pretty mobile, my focus is on a job in St. Louis, but I just don't feel like these schools would open doors as much as SLU would. I wish SLU had a better rep, just because I look at Philly and its like Penn is awesome and Temple is good too, but there is a huge rankings disparity between SLU and WUSTL. Again, i hate to involve rankings, especially when it involves the merits of a TTT in an insular market, but it's hard to look past.

Finally, if you are thinking of taking a year off, then do it. I was so set on going to law school last year that I applied to Kent PT just so I could get in. What the fuck!? Why would I want to go to Kent PT when I want full time and I don't want to live in Chicago? It's just because I was so focused on going to law school that year that I would have done anything. Guys, its ok to take a year off. It gives you an opportunity to focus on the LSAT, work and save money, hang out with friends and family, and recharge your batteries before you have to move off and start studying again. Seriously, I almost went, but I am so glad I retook. If I wind up at SLU, then that's fine. If I had gone off the waitlist last year, then I would be paying sticker right now and be totally fatigued from going straight from undergrad into law school. But if I go there next year, I will have big money and be well rested.

Great post!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Got a decision from Notre Dame...but I don't know what it is. I saw that a decision was rendered on my status checker, but they mail the actual decision for some reason. This early in the game it has to be a rejection, especially with my numbers. Oh well, Tulane, SLU, WUSTL, UIUC have been submitted, probably do Loyola Chicago and IUB as well. i also signed up to on LSAC to have schools solicit me whatever, that way i can get fee waivers and junk. It seems like for every T1/2 fee waiver there are 5 TTTTs trying to tell me about their school...i know i signed up to get spammed, but this is ridiculous.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:22 pm

until you read the words.. were sorry but at this time we cannot accept you ( or something similar) dont give up hope

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 pm

northwood wrote:until you read the words.. were sorry but at this time we cannot accept you ( or something similar) dont give up hope

I'm a fan of this. Especially given my first response this cycle. I just received my letter from Notre Dame informing me that I was waitlisted! For some reason this feels like a victory. Probably because of how braced i was for a rejection. i applied like 2 weeks ago, and the other day i saw that a decision had been rendered on my status checker, unfortunately the decision is snail mailed. But when i saw that a decision was made so quickly I just knew that it was a rejection. I mean, unless you have killer numbers, who in the world is accepted after just 2 weeks. I figured it would be really drawn out if it was gonna be an acceptance or waitlist, but it was so fast I knew they had autorejected me. I was so braced for a denial that this waitlist seems amazing! Buuuut...the suspense will be the end of me. Anyway when I applied I gave myself an outside shot at acceptance. maybe like 70% out, 20% waitlist, and 10% in. So this is good news to me! I love Notre Dame, lets hope they love me back! Good luck to everyone this cycle. I still have UIUC, SLU, TULANE, and WUSTL apps out. I got some interesting fee waivers, so I might submit some more as well. I saw on lsn that I got a good shot at great money from Loyola, Kent, and DePaul...but I'm so scared of Chicago right now, especially from those schools. Things just sound dismal. But Loyola has a fee waiver...so I'll apply there anyways.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Are you thinking of retaking in December?
If you got 170's on PT's you can do it on test day

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:40 am

john1990 wrote:Are you thinking of retaking in December?

I doubt I will. I've already taken it 3 times, and although I might be able to secure a waiver, I don't really know if I want to put myself through all that again. It would only be 3 weeks of pting...but I'm over it. I would love to send ND a LOCI containing an LSAT at a 170+, but it's not gonna happen.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:31 pm

mattviphky wrote:

I doubt I will. I've already taken it 3 times, and although I might be able to secure a waiver, I don't really know if I want to put myself through all that again. It would only be 3 weeks of pting...but I'm over it. I would love to send ND a LOCI containing an LSAT at a 170+, but it's not gonna happen.

I just want to say this: if you're sure you won't have a change of heart and wait until next cycle, then you (I am sorry if I am overstepping my bounds) owe it to yourself to take it one more time. With how relaxed you'll be (you won't have a ton of pressure because you are kind of "over it"), you might do better than you ever expected.

If it is just the LSAT fee that is standing between you and a fantastic score that can A) Get you into your target, B) Get you a scholarship, C) Get you into a reach school - the juice is worth the squeeze. I am sure every fiber in your being is just done, not wanting to answer another LSAT question - ever again; but if there is no chance that you sit out until next year, speaking as an objective third party - you should retake on December 3rd.

Good luck, either way.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:59 pm

180asBreath wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

I just want to say this: if you're sure you won't have a change of heart and wait until next cycle, then you (I am sorry if I am overstepping my bounds) owe it to yourself to take it one more time. With how relaxed you'll be (you won't have a ton of pressure because you are kind of "over it"), you might do better than you ever expected.

If it is just the LSAT fee that is standing between you and a fantastic score that can A) Get you into your target, B) Get you a scholarship, C) Get you into a reach school - the juice is worth the squeeze. I am sure every fiber in your being is just done, not wanting to answer another LSAT question - ever again; but if there is no chance that you sit out until next year, speaking as an objective third party - you should retake on December 3rd.

Good luck, either way.

My October retake fits this description. I studied my ass off for both June and October...but in October I was relaxed and totally cool with it. I also got lucky and was able to figure out my third section was an experimental. I'm already sitting out this year, and I really don't want to sit out another one. I should have done better, but it happens. I feel like I had many good things going for me during the test. My reach was WUSTL/ND. ND waitlisted me, and WUSTL will most likely deny me...which sucks. But I still have SLU (and hopefully with a solid scholly). I really am done with the LSAT. Take this from someone who took it 3 times, studied hard for 6 months, and is content with their score, I am over it. A 168 would have been beautiful, but I got a 164, and that's ok.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:26 pm

I've applied to Tulane, WUSTL, ND, SLU, UIUC, DePaul, Loyola (Chicago), Chicago-Kent, and Wake Forest. I'm filling out Temple, SMU, Mizzou, and IUB now...just waiting on fee waivers. I am seriously looking at Wake Forest now, the cost isn't ridiculous, and according to lsn the scholarships look good (if they stay the same as last year). The sports are awesome, the weather is warm, and it's (somewhat) near the ocean. I have no idea what job prospects look like tho. SLU is my safety, and it is where i will most likely go. WUSTL is probably a wish with a 164, but I would love to go. I really don't know what to think about Chicago. It's cold, it's expensive, and the last time I went I just wasn't impressed with anything. I applied to all those Chicago schools anyway cuz it was only 16 bucks and they are in my home state. I guess i like SLU so much because I know the city, I like the location, and I can be near home. Tulane, SMU, and WF seem like solid choices, but they are just such mysteries. I feel like I'm mobile, but I really don't want to be tied down to a place I find out I don't like...this is SLU's appeal, i know what I'm getting into. So I'm almost done with all my apps and I can't wait to start hearing back. Just wish i had applied to WF like a month ago when they sent the fee waiver so that I could be on the first wave.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:26 am

Don't hate me december test takers for posting this, the 155 was from last October. Anyways, the only thing I've heard back so far have been waitlisted at Notre Dame, as well as a Christmas card, and an acceptance at DePaul. I hope everyone who (re)took in December did well, have fun filling out PS and stuff!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Just updating. So far I have been wl'd at notre dame and accePted at depaul (60 k) and SLU (66k). I'm excited by the acceptances and money, but I still have like 10 schools to hear back from. I'm hoping that uiuc admits me with some money. I used my Ed on nd, but I have no idea if I'll get in (probably not). I saw some people got in with Ed at uiuc with my numbers, so I feel like I might have wasted my Ed on a pipe dream. I would looove to go o either school, but with a realistic shot at Uiuc, I am much more anxious to hear back from them. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens...but I will shit if I get into uiuc, cOme on new medians!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am

held at UIUC. Bummed.

bmore

Postby bmore » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:44 am

Too bad you can't send Notre Dame this thread :o Good luck!

proxy

Postby proxy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey dude, I just skimmed through the post and wanted to say grats on the 164. I got a 154 in Oct and I plan to retake in June, and possibly again in October. I'm aiming for a 170+ but will be satisfied is I can break into the 160s.

LSAT is such a pain and you should be proud of the effort you put into it. Lot's of people get discouraged and give up, but you are an inspiration. I'm starting to think that it's a filter designed to wash out people who don't want to put in the effort, cause law school is going to be a pain as well.

I'm sure your work ethic will place you in the top percentage of your class wherever you decide to go.

Other than that, thanks for the encouragement :D

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 pm

proxy wrote:Hey dude, I just skimmed through the post and wanted to say grats on the 164. I got a 154 in Oct and I plan to retake in June, and possibly again in October. I'm aiming for a 170+ but will be satisfied is I can break into the 160s.

LSAT is such a pain and you should be proud of the effort you put into it. Lot's of people get discouraged and give up, but you are an inspiration. I'm starting to think that it's a filter designed to wash out people who don't want to put in the effort, cause law school is going to be a pain as well.

I'm sure your work ethic will place you in the top percentage of your class wherever you decide to go.

Other than that, thanks for the encouragement :D

Good luck!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Just giving an update. I was recently accepted into UIUC with a small scholarship, SMU with 78k, SLU with 66k, and a few other schools that I have as safeties. I am totally stoked about the UIUC acceptance. This time last year, I had a 155 LSAT, a dump gpa (well, i still have that), and I didn't know what to do. I was accepted into SIU with a small scholarship, and SLU without any money, and I was looking around the internet to see which one was the better choice. Found TLS, life was changed. I looked in the LSAT prep forum and saw so many people bummed out that they had "only" gotten 16x. What the hell!!

I never thought about going to an elite school. I went to a local state school, and I was content with the idea of going to the prestigious St. Louis U (it really is seen as pretty prestigious in my neck of the woods). But this site, especially the lsat prep tips, inspired me to get serious. I invested time and money (couple hundred bucks and 5 months), and I raised my score. I am in at UIUC, and wl'd at ND. These schools were never on my radar last year, I just knew that they were too good for me. That attitude is bullshit. If you're fretting about taking, or retaking, one test that could very well decide your future, don't be a pussy. Retake like a fucking champion. Sure it's hard and sure it sucks, but that's what makes it rewarding. I was so nervous to take a year off, and so apathetic about studying...but I did it, and so has just about everyone else on this website. A lot of these people may have an elitist opinion on law schools, but shit man, elite is GOOD.

Maybe it is sometimes snobby, but use that shit as motivation. Maybe before this site you didn't know what biglaw was, or that 180k to a TTT is a bad idea, but now you do. Even if you don't want biglaw, and you still want to go to a TTT, at least push yourself through one fucking test so that you could get any other job you want, and attend that TTT for pennies. Yeah, you could sit around and bitch about how unfair it is that one test is given so much weight. But that is the world we live in, adapt or die. Get off your ass and win, or stay on your ass and quit. "But quitting is death, and death is for pussies. And my ass ain't no pussy, my ass is a fucking champion."-Kenny Powers.

This isn't me being pretentious for having a 164...that is nothing to brag about on this site. I'm being pretentious for putting my heart and soul into retaking and being completely satisfied, knowing that I put everything I had into doing it. Can you say that? study until you can.
Last edited by mattviphky on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am

mattviphky wrote:Just giving an update. I was recently accepted into UIUC with a small scholarship, SMU with 78k, SLU with 66k, and a few other schools that I have as safeties. I am totally stoked about the UIUC acceptance. This time last year, I had a 155 LSAT, a dump gpa (well, i still have that), and I didn't know what to do. I was accepted into SIU with a small scholarship, and SLU without any money, and I was looking around the internet to see which one was the better choice. Found TLS, life was changed. I looked in the LSAT prep forum and saw so many people bummed out that they had "only" gotten 16x. What the hell!! I never thought about going to an elite school.

I went to a local state school, and I was content with the idea of going to the prestigious St. Louis U (it really is seen as pretty prestigious in my neck of the woods). But this site, especially the lsat prep tips, inspired me to get serious. I invested time and money (couple hundred bucks and 5 months), and I raised my score. I am in at UIUC, and wl'd at ND. These schools were never on my radar last year, I just knew that they were too good for me. That attitude is bullshit. If you're fretting about taking, or retaking, one test that could very well decide your future, don't be a pussy. Retake like a fucking champion. Sure it's hard and sure it sucks, but that's what makes it rewarding. I was so nervous to take a year off, and so apathetic about studying...but I did it, and so has just about everyone else on this website. A lot of these people may have an elitist opinion on law schools, but shit man, elite is GOOD.

Maybe it is sometimes snobby, but use that shit as motivation. Maybe before this site you didn't know what biglaw was, or that 180k to a TTT is a bad idea, but now you do. Even if you don't want biglaw, and you still want to go to a TTT, at least push yourself through one fucking test so that you could get any other job you want, and attend that TTT for pennies. Yeah, you could sit around and bitch about how unfair it is that one test is given so much weight. But that is the world we live in, adapt or die. Get off your ass and win, or stay on your ass and quit. "But quitting is death, and death is for pussies. And my ass ain't no pussy, my ass is a fucking champion."-Kenny Powers.

This isn't me being pretentious for having a 164...that is nothing to brag about on this site. I'm being pretentious for putting my heart and soul into retaking and being completely satisfied, knowing that I put everything I had into doing it. Can you say that? study until you can.

78k to SMU? Nice!!! I'm hoping to hit a 164 on my retake. I have a 3.6 GPA. Did you get 78k to the part time program?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 am

noleknight16 wrote:
78k to SMU? Nice!!! I'm hoping to hit a 164 on my retake. I have a 3.6 GPA. Did you get 78k to the part time program?

No, full-time. It was very nice of them, but I just don't know about going to TX...it would be a big change. Good luck!

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:23 am

mattviphky wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

No, full-time. It was very nice of them, but I just don't know about going to TX...it would be a big change. Good luck!

Nice. Congrats on your success!

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 am

mattviphky wrote:Just giving an update. I was recently accepted into UIUC with a small scholarship, SMU with 78k, SLU with 66k, and a few other schools that I have as safeties. I am totally stoked about the UIUC acceptance. This time last year, I had a 155 LSAT, a dump gpa.

Congratulations on your perseverance and much deserved success! :D

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 am

Congrats to you, man. You've earned every penny of that success. You know you inspired me to make my own thread, and I'm achieving similar results, going from a 151 to a 164. I'm looking forward to hearing back soon from University of South Carolina.

Rock on brother. 8)

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

Wl'd at ND and WUSTL. Pretty sure I'm that I'm going to UIUC this fall. I got a some money from them, and my COA will probably be about 110k. I am going to ride the WUSTL/ND waitlists, but I will not go to WUSTL at sticker...ND is a different story.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri May 11, 2012 11:56 am

Just giving an update. I'm all set for Illinois. They had initially given me 5k/year, but upped it to 25$. Then I was awarded a full ride from the main campus because I had been selected for a specific scholarship. So, heading to Illinois this fall! Retaking was SO WORTH IT!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”