To diagram or not to diagram LR questions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DC_Patent_Law

Bronze

To diagram or not to diagram LR questions?

Post by DC_Patent_Law » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Is diagramming LR questions vs. not diagramming better/worse? By diagramming I mean, writing down sufficient->necessary conditions, quantifier relationships etc.
I tend to want to diagram every LR question which really sucks up time. My testmasters instructor told me I should gradually move towards doing these inutitively. Has anyone been in the same dilemma?

TommyK

Silver

Re: To diagram or not to diagram LR questions?

Post by TommyK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Is diagramming LR questions vs. not diagramming better/worse? By diagramming I mean, writing down sufficient->necessary conditions, quantifier relationships etc.
I tend to want to diagram every LR question which really sucks up time. My testmasters instructor told me I should gradually move towards doing these inutitively. Has anyone been in the same dilemma?
I probably ended up diagramming 1-2 questions per section and only the really convoluted ones. I got most of the LR questions pretty holistically and intuitively so I never had to go thru the diagramming step for each one, but it makes good sense that one would do that as a first step of mastery and then remove the step as it became more fluid to increase efficiency.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I only averaged about -3/4 per LR section, but I think that diagramming would take up too much time. I'd only do it if I finished all other questions and was coming back to it with some time.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 pm

I would do a lot of it when you're practicing off the clock, but your goal should be to become so familiar with how sentences translate into conditional diagrams that you usually don't have to write them down. I still write them for complicated parallel questions and really long, convoluted inference questions. That's only a handful of LR questions per test.

DC_Patent_Law

Bronze

Post by DC_Patent_Law » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks guys. Looks like diagramming should be rarely used but is a good initial tool to learn the logic behind LR answers. I guess I'll gradually wean myself off diagramming :D

rubydandun

New

Post by rubydandun » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:58 am

look, if you can get absolutely surgical with diagramming and can do the LRB's diagramming drills with your eyes closed, you should be able to diagram in your head to an extent or at least do it very very quickly. I think you diagram if you can do it very quickly and it makes you more effecient. Besides, there'll only be 1-2 situations each section where you have to so whatever

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”