Is it worth buying explanations to LSAT preptests? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sighsigh

Bronze

Is it worth buying explanations to LSAT preptests?

Post by sighsigh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 am

I can spend an extra 200 for buying explanations for LG, LR and RC for a chunk of the LSAT preptests. Is it worth doing this? Are explanations absolutely necessary? If they are, can I make do with random ones I find on the net, or are professionally written ones a must?

Thanks.

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Is it worth buying explanations to LSAT preptests?

Post by buckilaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 am

No.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:13 am

buckilaw wrote:No.
+1. Get the LR and LG bible, and just do ever preptest

sighsigh

Bronze

Post by sighsigh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 am

Thanks for the responses, but can someone please explain why they aren't necessary? It seems quite useful to have them if you can't figure out why a paticular answer to a paticular question is wrong (or right).

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 am

sighsigh wrote:Thanks for the responses, but can someone please explain why they aren't necessary? It seems quite useful to have them if you can't figure out why a paticular answer to a paticular question is wrong (or right).
Ask about it on this forum. You usually can find someone willing to help you out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

510Chicken

New

Post by 510Chicken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:29 am

sighsigh wrote:Thanks for the responses, but can someone please explain why they aren't necessary? It seems quite useful to have them if you can't figure out why a paticular answer to a paticular question is wrong (or right).
My guess, it's a question of volume. If there are just a few questions here and there that you can't figure out, well that's what these forums are for. Why spend $200 when you can have internet friends who will give you (mostly) good advice for free? However, if it's a persistent problem, then the money spent may be worth it. More important than simply taking every prep test ever is actually understanding where you went wrong. If you're making a lot of errors and don't see why you're mistaken when looking at the answer key, then well written explanations may prove very, very helpful. I think.

sighsigh

Bronze

Post by sighsigh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:34 am

510Chicken wrote:
My guess, it's a question of volume. If there are just a few questions here and there that you can't figure out, well that's what these forums are for. Why spend $200 when you can have internet friends who will give you (mostly) good advice for free? However, if it's a persistent problem, then the money spent may be worth it. More important than simply taking every prep test ever is actually understanding where you went wrong. If you're making a lot of errors and don't see why you're mistaken when looking at the answer key, then well written explanations may prove very, very helpful. I think.
Yes, but what if you think a right answer is right or a wrong answer is wrong for the incorrect reasons? You wouldn't be able to catch that on your own, so having explanations would be helpful, no?

I'm planning to go over every answer choice and understand why the right ones are right and the wrong ones are wrong, for every question.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 am

It sounds like you've made up your mind. It's a highly subjective question. In short, if you have the money to spend and believe you'll get a good value out of it, then sure, buy it. I bought some of the LSAT Deconstructed Powerscore books which explain every question and answer and they were helpful.

You decide if it's worth it for you. Some might need it, others don't.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 am

sighsigh wrote:I can spend an extra 200 for buying explanations for LG, LR and RC for a chunk of the LSAT preptests. Is it worth doing this? Are explanations absolutely necessary? If they are, can I make do with random ones I find on the net, or are professionally written ones a must?

Thanks.
if you do decide to buy the explanations, I don't think you should drop down $200 all at once because you might quickly find out that they are not all that helpful for you. If you find that using the explanations really helps you, then incrementally buy more.

Before I did a lot of studying for the LSAT, I thought the explanations would help me a lot. Turns out though that I personally didn't find much benefit in the explanations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 am

Spending $200 on explanations is completely unnecessary IMHO. Get a copy of the LSAT Superprep instead. It has official LSAC explanations for three PTs, so you're getting insight directly from the testmakers.

When you've worked your way through the Superprep, try formulating your own explanations using the same format. Doing this really helped my LR speed and accuracy.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 am

The Gentleman wrote:Get a copy of the LSAT Superprep instead.
yep.
That's a cheaper way to find out if you will even need to use the explanations.

510Chicken

New

Post by 510Chicken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 am

sighsigh wrote:
510Chicken wrote:
Yes, but what if you think a right answer is right or a wrong answer is wrong for the incorrect reasons? You wouldn't be able to catch that on your own, so having explanations would be helpful, no?

I'm planning to go over every answer choice and understand why the right ones are right and the wrong ones are wrong, for every question.
Kinda. What matters is the end result, not how you got there. If you can consistently get the right answer, even if your reasoning is questionable, then who cares how you found it? But my bet is that you cannot repeatedly produce good (practice) test results by this method. And hopefully that will tell you where you stand. Er... also +1 to the SuperPrep plan.

Edit: I don't mean to encourage bad methodology. I just think you're overestimating the risk of being blind to your own mistakes and not seeing the results in your practice tests.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm

hokie wrote:
buckilaw wrote:No.
Post questions here. This forum is an incredibly valuable (and waaaay underused) resource for getting help on specific questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”