I space out on the first section

mac35352

Re: I space out on the first section

Postby mac35352 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I'm relatively sure that the experimental section is almost never S1.

Don't think this is true. For me, at least, S1 was the experimental (June '10).

Good to hear!!! But I can't count on this!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:59 pm

OP, try doing a practice section before starting the actual test. If your problem is initial anxiety/needing some time to 'get used' to being in test mode, that might help a little. I don't think you even have to do a whole section, just a few warm ups to get your mind going (:

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:29 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:OP, try doing a practice section before starting the actual test. If your problem is initial anxiety/needing some time to 'get used' to being in test mode, that might help a little. I don't think you even have to do a whole section, just a few warm ups to get your mind going (:

Thanks. I started doing that because it was recommended here but it's not working. I'm going to try filing out the form as I would do the actual day to see if it helps.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

mac35352 wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I'm relatively sure that the experimental section is almost never S1.

Don't think this is true. For me, at least, S1 was the experimental (June '10).

Good to hear!!! But I can't count on this!

The first section was my exp section in Oct. 09 too

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 pm

If you get test anxiety like this now, it is probably a good time to look for ways of relaxing - not just for test day but to practice everyday. I used to have anxiety and I started listening to meditation /stress reduction mp3s before I went to sleep at night. This helped me both to reduce my underlying general anxiety (I'm thinking yours might be high because the initial stress of the exam throws you off) and to reduce my anxiety in specific situations.

Just note you have to practice this stress reduction as religiously as you are practicing for exams.

Just fyi - I am just a user of these tapes from this site, not involved with them in any way but:
If you want a site to check out some hypnosis/stress reducing mp3s try a uk site called uncommon knowledge. The best thing about that site is that if you don't like the result for any reason after 90 days you can get your money back no questions asked. I tried one that I didn't like and I got my refund just by emailing them that I had a problem.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:35 pm

update!
I took a prep test today and didn't use a warm up section. What I tried this time around was to bubble in my name and all my information before starting the test and it actually worked. I felt like the test had already started.
I still need to overcome distractions after the test started but at least I didn't miss any of the first 17 questions.
Thanks for the advice.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Nice job man!
Two observations.
1. I get hyped off my ass with caffeine. Some people are too jittery that way, but for me it heightens awareness and I can focus better, especially on early sections.
2. Why hasn't logic stud been banned from posting yet?

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 am

coldshoulder wrote:Nice job man!
Two observations.
1. I get hyped off my ass with caffeine. Some people are too jittery that way, but for me it heightens awareness and I can focus better, especially on early sections.
2. Why hasn't logic stud been banned from posting yet?

1. I drink caffeine all the time and it generally doesn't have that much of an impact on me. I am more concerned of drinking too much caffeine and then crashing during the test.
2. Good question.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 pm

rose711 wrote:If you get test anxiety like this now, it is probably a good time to look for ways of relaxing - not just for test day but to practice everyday. I used to have anxiety and I started listening to meditation /stress reduction mp3s before I went to sleep at night. This helped me both to reduce my underlying general anxiety (I'm thinking yours might be high because the initial stress of the exam throws you off) and to reduce my anxiety in specific situations.

Just note you have to practice this stress reduction as religiously as you are practicing for exams.

Just fyi - I am just a user of these tapes from this site, not involved with them in any way but:
If you want a site to check out some hypnosis/stress reducing mp3s try a uk site called uncommon knowledge. The best thing about that site is that if you don't like the result for any reason after 90 days you can get your money back no questions asked. I tried one that I didn't like and I got my refund just by emailing them that I had a problem.

I didn't use the tapes you refered me to but I did start a stretch and relaxation routine and it has worked wonders with my test anxiety.
I barely feel anxious about the test anymore. I do a quick warm up before the test but I have tried to take the PT without the warm up and it works just as well.
Hopefully I won't have this problem on game day but I feel very confident I can calm my nerves and get on with the test.
good luck to everyone taking the June test...we are less than a month away!
I'm excited :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”