I space out on the first section

mac35352

I space out on the first section

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey!
I have noticed that in every Preptest I take my first section is the worst regardless of wich section it is.
Today I took a preptest under timed conditions and I couldn't even finish my first LR section. I didn't answer 7 questions and while answering the first ones I sort of spaced out and forgot what I read. I guess I get nervous when someone else is timing me because I have noticed this in 3 other Preptests.
I sort of picked up my pace on the second section which happend to be the games and finished 2 minutes before the alloted time and got four wrong.
Everyhting went OK afterwards but I had already damaged my Preptest score and can not even imagine if this happened to me during the actual test.
Has this happened to anyone here and what have you done to correct it?
Also, when you finish a section with a few minutes to spare do you go back and review your answers or will that be too risky? For example, do you go back and correct an aswer you had a doubt on or should I go with my orginal answer?
Thank you

northwood

Re: I space out on the first section

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:17 pm

sounds like you need to take a warm up before the test. Do some questions before starting the next prep test, and see if that helps. try doing 15 questions ( dont correct them) then once you finish- start your first timed section.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:18 pm

It's perfectly normal. When you first start your prep, finishing on time is going to be difficult. The more you work at it, the faster you will get.

For your first section, you're probably not warmed up yet. Try reviewing an older PT section for 10-15 minutes before you start.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Thank you! Glad to hear this is a normal occurrence. I will try a set of warm up questions before the preptest.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:09 pm

The exact same thing happened today after doing 2 games and 10 lr questions as a warm up. I got 9 wrong on the first section and things went so much better afterwards, I had time to review in 2 of the sections.
Should I warm up longer?
Anything else I should try?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:13 pm

either do warmups- like an game you have already done

OR pray that the first section is experimental!!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:23 pm

mac35352 wrote:The exact same thing happened today after doing 2 games and 10 lr questions as a warm up. I got 9 wrong on the first section and things went so much better afterwards, I had time to review in 2 of the sections.
Should I warm up longer?

is it because you space out, or rush yourself through the first section?
you can warm up longer- ie do a sections worth or even a half section work of questions( see if you space out on a particular type of section or not)

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm

swc65 wrote:either do warmups- like an game you have already done

OR pray that the first section is experimental!!

I wonder if this will work...LOL!
I do warmups but I still get so nervous the first 20 minutes...I know, I know!

gloriouscause

Postby gloriouscause » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I had this exact same problem, and didn't catch it soon enough before the test. on the actual test i missed as many questions on the first section as i did on the rest of the test. definitely work at fixing this problem before test day. unfortunately it will be difficult to do an adequate warm up (I tried it) as you spend such a long time sitting there filling things out. try for another solution, and just be very conscious that you need to focus extra hard on the first section

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:35 pm

northwood wrote:
mac35352 wrote:The exact same thing happened today after doing 2 games and 10 lr questions as a warm up. I got 9 wrong on the first section and things went so much better afterwards, I had time to review in 2 of the sections.
Should I warm up longer?

is it because you space out, or rush yourself through the first section?
you can warm up longer- ie do a sections worth or even a half section work of questions( see if you space out on a particular type of section or not)

I can't concentrate on the first section. I read but can't remember anything. I'm totally blank for the first 10-15 questions. I have to re-read stimulus because I forget stuff I get too nervous. I don't know! I am fine afterwards. It has happened with LR and with LG (my strongest section) so I don't think is a problem with the type of section as much as it is with the short anxiety attack I get at the begining of the test.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 pm

gloriouscause wrote:I had this exact same problem, and didn't catch it soon enough before the test. on the actual test i missed as many questions on the first section as i did on the rest of the test. definitely work at fixing this problem before test day. unfortunately it will be difficult to do an adequate warm up (I tried it) as you spend such a long time sitting there filling things out. try for another solution, and just be very conscious that you need to focus extra hard on the first section
No way, this will suck!
I'm sorry it happened to you. I hope that the adrenaline rush of the actual test will make this go away...or that the first section is my experimental.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:39 pm

maybe on your first section you should try to do 5 questions- take a short breather ( 10 seconds or so and take deep breaths). then do 5 more. See how it goes.

Since it doesnt matter the section type, you have a case of the nerves and test anxiety. Try to calm yourself down and remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. If you finish early, re do the first 10 questions and id the stem/ stimuli and then check your work.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:42 pm

northwood wrote:maybe on your first section you should try to do 5 questions- take a short breather ( 10 seconds or so and take deep breaths). then do 5 more. See how it goes.

Since it doesnt matter the section type, you have a case of the nerves and test anxiety. Try to calm yourself down and remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. If you finish early, re do the first 10 questions and id the stem/ stimuli and then check your work.

Thank for the advise. I get a short anxiety attack during the first section and feel great afterwards so I hope a longer experimental will do the trick. Maybe try doing the first five questions calm down for a second and get back to it. I never finish the first section because I spend way to long on the first part of it but I gotta step it up for the real thing!
Thanks again!

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm relatively sure that the experimental section is almost never S1.

The test does not start when you open to section 1; if you need to warm up, you need to find a way that will help you be prepared to hit the ground running when you do open the test booklet.

I made sure that the drive to the testing center had a playlist that I set up beforehand of fairly mellow songs that calmed me down and sort of uncluttered my brain enough to focus in on answering the questions.

(I had about a 40-minute drive, though, so even with the long wait time before the first section, this still had a positive effect.)

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 pm

incompetentia wrote:I'm relatively sure that the experimental section is almost never S1.

The test does not start when you open to section 1; if you need to warm up, you need to find a way that will help you be prepared to hit the ground running when you do open the test booklet.

I made sure that the drive to the testing center had a playlist that I set up beforehand of fairly mellow songs that calmed me down and sort of uncluttered my brain enough to focus in on answering the questions.

(I had about a 40-minute drive, though, so even with the long wait time before the first section, this still had a positive effect.)

Yes, this is what I need to do. I need to e ready for the test before I open the booklet. I find that this is not happenening right now.
I will try a relaxation technique, maybe meditate or music before.
Thanks

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:58 pm

I dont know if you do this allready or not, but do you actually fill in the answer key before starting the test? Its extra time before you sit down and then open up to section 1. Maybe you can practice your relaxation techniques and see if that has any effect.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 pm

northwood wrote:I dont know if you do this allready or not, but do you actually fill in the answer key before starting the test? Its extra time before you sit down and then open up to section 1. Maybe you can practice your relaxation techniques and see if that has any effect.

No I don't. Maybe it helps. i'll try it and report back next week
Thanks

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 pm

it happens. do a warmup LG and or read a rc passage and you will be fine over time

Logic STUD

Postby Logic STUD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Last edited by Logic STUD on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm

you cant work out of order on test day!

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:15 pm

northwood wrote:you cant work out of order on test day!

Yeah Stud, you must be new to this.

Logic STUD

Postby Logic STUD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Last edited by Logic STUD on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Logic STUD wrote:

Each section is 35 minutes. So time wise it doesn't matter. I can understand your concern here though. It's natural to go in numerical order and going backwards probably increases the odds of mis-bubbling. I get this, and I agree it's a problem. I accounted for that though by advising him to take practice tests the same way. That way he will be used to it. Also, I would advise starting section 5 and then starting with question 1 and working to the end, not starting with question 25 and working to question 1. I think that would slow time down. Just remember practice how you're going to take it.

-LS

You have to open the booklet in the right order on test day! I can go backwards like from the 20s down.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Logic STUD wrote:

Each section is 35 minutes. So time wise it doesn't matter. I can understand your concern here though. It's natural to go in numerical order and going backwards probably increases the odds of mis-bubbling. I get this, and I agree it's a problem. I accounted for that though by advising him to take practice tests the same way. That way he will be used to it. Also, I would advise starting section 5 and then starting with question 1 and working to the end, not starting with question 25 and working to question 1. I think that would slow time down. Just remember practice how you're going to take it.

-LS

Are you talking about doing the questions backwards, or starting with section 5 first, then working towards section1. If its the former- thats an idea. Just start practicing this and reemember to double check your bubbling as you go.- If its the latter- you cant do that. You have to do Section 1, then section 2, then section 3- then theres a break, then sectino 4, then section 5, then the writing sample. If you get caught working out of order, you will be in trouble and written up for it!

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 pm

northwood wrote:
Logic STUD wrote:

-LS

Are you talking about doing the questions backwards, or starting with section 5 first, then working towards section1. If its the former- thats an idea. Just start practicing this and reemember to double check your bubbling as you go.- If its the latter- you cant do that. You have to do Section 1, then section 2, then section 3- then theres a break, then sectino 4, then section 5, then the writing sample. If you get caught working out of order, you will be in trouble and written up for it!

THIS
Last edited by mac35352 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”