Disadvantage of skipping June LSAT?

Tabemaju

Disadvantage of skipping June LSAT?

Postby Tabemaju » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm

This may seem like a very novice question, and it is. I'm rather new to these boards, so please bear with me. I have an opportunity at a great fellowship and internship this summer and, as a part of the fellowship, I will be spending two weeks in Washington D.C. My problem is that the dates fall in line with the June LSAT. A piece of me is secretly glad because it will give me more prep time (having just discovered this message board, I've found great prep pointers/guides).

Am I sacrificing anything by waiting until October? And if I have to retake, will the February test make some schools more difficult to get into with such a late application? I currently have a 3.92 GPA, so I know getting a good score is going to be essential toward getting into a T14, so retaking may be in my best interest if I don't do well.

Thanks!

dextermorgan

Re: Disadvantage of skipping June LSAT?

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Three months is enough time to prepare if you really buckle down. If you don't feel that you can adequately prepare in that time, then wait until October.

You can retake in December. The February test is really not ideal for applying during the same cycle, in fact it's so late that some schools will not accept it.

Tabemaju

Postby Tabemaju » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Thanks. I'm not worried too worried about studying over the next three months if I have to, I just don't want to decline the fellowship offer unless it's absolutely necessary (will give me a better chance at getting into certain schools).

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Could you take the test in Washington?

Tabemaju

Postby Tabemaju » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:39 pm

No, unfortunately my entire time there will be scheduled very strictly.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

I will take the fellowship, wait until October and leave open the possibility of retake in December.

Tabemaju

Postby Tabemaju » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks, that's starting to sound like the best decision. The fellowship would also be very helpful on my law school resume.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Don't take the June LSAT unless you feel fully prepared!

You may miss out on applying ED, but high October > meh June any day.

Also, as mentioned above, a December retake is also possible with an October test.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 am

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Taking October is fine if that's the test that's compatible with your work/life/study schedule. But as soon as you're done with the test, get your applications done so they'll be ready to send as soon as the score comes out (you can actually send them before then, but your file won't go "complete" until the score is released). Also, make sure you get your recommenders lined up by September so that they have plenty of time to write while leaving you plenty of time to wait for LSAC to process them into your account (which takes forever).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”