Will it help even a bit? (PS&Manhattan LSAT course/material) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
chasy_price

New

Will it help even a bit? (PS&Manhattan LSAT course/material)

Post by chasy_price » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:59 am

Hi everybody I have been coming to the forum for the past months but never said anything... So this is my first post :) please be kind~~

Last week I signed up for the Powerscore Virtual Course (and paid for $995 already) without realizing that Manhattan LSAT offers an online course as well (yes I know, my bad for not researching enough) and now I am debating if I should:

1) Buy Manhattan LSAT online class for $1100
2) Buy Manhattan LSAT self-study package for $425 (only concern is that the 30 min tutorial session has to be used within a month --- I need to talk to somebody to see if that can be changed before I pay for it.)
3) Buy Manhattan LSAT 3 guides on Amazon for $69

A little bit info about myself: I am a foreign student (Mainland Chinese to be exact) who came to the states about four and half years ago for college education. I studied in a typical public university (the ranking is nothing to be proud of) for a double major of accounting and finance, and had only one professional club (mainly accounting people) as the only social experience/extra curricula along with some on-campus part-time jobs for the entire four years. My cumulative GPA is 3.91, graduated with Summa Cum Laude (but had no social life), and started a full-time internship at a mid-size CPA firm since January last year. I was on the track of becoming a CPA, but one day I suddenly realize that I have always wanted to become a lawyer, and I should not give up that dream just because I have language disadvantage... So now here I am on the track of pursuing a 180 on LSAT as everybody else on this forum :P

And due to my low ranking undergrad education, I am determined to get into a top law school (call me shallow or whatever but that is what I want). Therefore a superb LSAT score is a must, and I am trying very hard to get there. However right now it is not looking too good. My cold diagnostic was only 153, and my last PT (taken a week ago) was 160. So 3 months to go but 15 more points to get!

Self analysis for the 3 sections:

LG: Time is the issue, not the accuracy. Every answer I worked out has been correct, however I always had to guess the last 3 to 6 questions due to the shortage of time.
LR: Barely enough time to finish. Normally in the rage of -6/-8 a section.
RC: Used to be a huge problem, and still is a problem, but has gone down to -8 on average. This section fluctuates, sometimes I can finish on time and sometimes can't. Also this is the section I have most questions about when I look back. I guess I just have to keep working on it...

For those who will ask me why I am determined to get on the Manhattan LSAT (Atlas) stuff I can just say: I have an intuitive feeling that their methods will suit me the most. Yes I know it is weird but I just have this feeling that they are going to help me more than Powerscore (maybe partially because Powerscore RC bible really sucks... Don't know about others but didn't really help me. I am now on the LR, not too impressed as well. And to think that I have a whole course ahead of me...) I have been reading all the reviews I can find about the Atlas method. I heard they are straightforward and are better at LR and RC sections, so I am really hoping they can help me increase my score.

Therefore right now the question is among the three options I listed above, which one is the best to go for. 1 more point on LSAT sometimes can be the breaking point on getting in or not, so I am not taking any chance...

Money wise I already paid $995 for Powerscore course (no way to refund now) however that is a sunk cost (very painful, but irrelevant) and should not be part of the decision making process. I am willing to pay the extra bucks if it is necessary... So please, any advice is welcomed!!!

JD2014

Bronze

Re: Will it help even a bit? (PS&Manhattan LSAT course/material)

Post by JD2014 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:23 pm

My personal opinion is that there are no secrets in doing well on the LSAT that justify the expense of these courses. You just need to become familiar with the style of the questions and master pacing yourself on them. $200 at amazon.com and a study schedule like the ones in the link below will probably meet your needs.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html

Definitely consider getting the logical reasoning bible by Powerscore (link below) if you haven't already, especially since language is a barrier for you. I would therefore choose option 3, but go with the Powerscore instead of Manhattan LSAT. I think Manhattan is better known for its GMAT prep, and is a latecomer to the LSAT market.

http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Logical-Reas ... 025&sr=8-1

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Also, to spare everyone else the trouble, the suggestion will be raised that you remain in the accounting profession instead of throwing your hat into the ring in the legal industry given the latter's mediocre future prospects.

chasy_price

New

Post by chasy_price » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I already got all the books (the Atlas is probably the only books I don't have and that is why I am interested in their material)

Regarding the accounting vs. legal discussion, I already went through hell last year debating if I should dive in the legal market... The answer is I want to give it a try.

Since I already signed up for the Powerscore course (for those saying courses are not necessary, I would probably agree, however if the course can raise my score for even 1 point it would be worth it for me...) so the Manhattan LSAT material will most likely "patch the holes" for me.

I would like to get more advice, especially those who are familiar with the Atlas system (I am very interested in their way of explaining questions?). I know all their stuff is essentially in the guides, however will the course or the recorded course videos help? Also, since all I want from LG is to save more time, is Manhattan LSAT (Atlas) LG strategy quicker than Powerscore in general? And is their LR and RC really much more superior?

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 pm

I have been only preparing for the test for 6 weeks but here is what I have discovered so far.
The LR Bible is helpful but not enough. I was considering the Atlas LR book as well just to get the basic concepts right. This sections is just umpredictable to me, sometimes I get -4 and other times I can't finish it and end up with -10
As for RC, I think practice is essential here (more than in the other sections) if English is your second language. I know because it's mine as well and I have seen significant improvement by getting familiar with the type of questions asked and learning what to look for as you read. I majored in literature and I am accostumed to reading a lot but the LSAT requires you to read faster and closely about randome subjects which can be very confusing at first. I haven't heard great things about the PowerScore RC other than it's mediocre at best. Atlas is supposed to be better and should be benefitial but doing as many RC sections, untimed at first and then timed, has given me excellent results. -5/-8 compared to my initial -13.
For LG I do recommend the PowerScore bible. I also had 100% accuracy but couldn't finish the 3rd and 4th game in 35 minutes. I learned their diagramming style and methods and with practice I can already finish all the games with -0 to -4.
Overall, PowerScore will help you get acquainted with the test and teach you techiniques and tips but drills and practice will be the determining factor in your actual test score.
Also, check out the 160+ thread and TLS1776, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=120471 if you haven't yet!
Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chasy_price

New

Post by chasy_price » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks Mac35352 for the reply!! So have you decided to check out the Atlas books yet?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Great ad ! Any discounts for TLS users ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”