Question about June Retake

Eagles_Legendz

Question about June Retake

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:50 pm

I have a question: I have a lot of apps out for this cycle, with acceptances/denials etc just starting to come in.

I scored a 166 in December. I was averaging around 169 on the PTs +/- 4. I know you often score worse on the actual test than PTs.

My question is, what is the downside of taking the test in June? For example, say I make a seat deposit at a school and take the test again. Does that ever have an adverse impact? Assuming I can afford to lose the seat deposit if the test went well, couldn't I theoretically take the test again in June and if I scored markedly better sit out this cycle?

What would I have to score for that to make sense and make enough of a difference to do so? 168? 170+? Also keep in mind that I submitted late this cycle (late Jan/early February) so I would assume early cycle submissions would be more beneficial anyway.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide!

drmguy

Re: Question about June Retake

Postby drmguy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm

I am curious as well.

Anyone have experience with a June retake after already applying?

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 pm

i'm doing this too - making a deposit somewhere, but also re-taking. i've personally set a score for myself that if i acheive, i'll definitely sit out or if i don't, i won't. i think it depends on what schools you're looking to target/ reasons for re-applying.

i'm not all too devastated on my choices so far, so i'm not banking on my june score - just looking to have more options if i do happen to score significantly higher.

Eagles_Legendz

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 pm

wokeemilo wrote:i'm doing this too - making a deposit somewhere, but also re-taking. i've personally set a score for myself that if i acheive, i'll definitely sit out or if i don't, i won't. i think it depends on what schools you're looking to target/ reasons for re-applying.

i'm not all too devastated on my choices so far, so i'm not banking on my june score - just looking to have more options if i do happen to score significantly higher.

I'm just curious how much my score would need to go up for it to make a significant difference, because I can stay at this job for another year.

I also want to know if there's some unforeseen downside that I'm missing other than the prep work?

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 pm

probably should look into your target schools gpa/lsat. are you a splitter trying to use the LSAT to make up for a poor GPA? if so, it's probably only worth it to reapply if your lsat will be significantly higher, above the 75ths, to make you a more attractive candidate.

i think there's a lot on here about re-applying, and a lot of people who have reapplied. from what i've seen, it doesn't look so bad. people have said you may want to contact the schools you reapply to and give them an explanation as to why you withdrew the first time around.

fragged

Postby fragged » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I am curious about this - will schools you have already been accepted to receive an updated LSAT score? Or would they only get an updated score if they request another LSDAS report?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 pm

fragged wrote:I am curious about this - will schools you have already been accepted to receive an updated LSAT score? Or would they only get an updated score if they request another LSDAS report?

Since you've already put down a seat deposit, I don't think anyone will care, even if they do receive it (it's not like they're going to rescind their offer based on your subsequent score).

I would expect that anyone's score would have to be at least 4-5 points higher to warrant reapplying, and probably more like 6-7. Even though the feel of a 169 is different from the feel of a 166, I don't think that alone will make the difference in how your cycle turns out. But the difference between a 166 and a 172 very much could. I tend to suspect the same is true down the ladder as well: the difference between a 155 and 159 probably is not that great, but the difference between a 155 and a 162 probably is.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”