LR Issues

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

LR Issues

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Ok, so I have gone through both the LGB and LRB, and have started doing section work in LG and LR. While my LG has improved from about -10/-12 per section to -0/-2 per section, I think my LR has gotten worse. Previously, I had timing issues (I couldn't finish a section). Now, even though I can finish the sections in time, I am actually getting more of the questions I finish wrong. Is this normal? Maybe I am just nervous?

JG7773

Bronze

Re: LR Issues

Postby JG7773 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 pm

I was in a similar situation. I went through the LR Bible and just wasn't seeing much improvement. I recently bought the new Manhattan LR guide and I thought it was significantly better than the LRB. The way that they explain the questions, the really set up a process for you to follow with each question. This was a serious help to me. Now when I approach a LR question, I have an exact process that I go to and I have found my LR scores improve already by about 4 questions on average (I am about a third of the way through the book). When they provide explanations to answers, they do it in a real-time thought mode which for me truly helped develop my own understanding. Now when I am running through a LR question, I start with the process and start working through the real-time analysis like the book does.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it, I will try to shed some light on it.

Good luck,

JG

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks, I will check it out. I noticed that I am able to narrow down the questions I am getting wrong to the right answer and the wrong answer (which I choose, for some reason). I suppose the work now is figuring out why, when I look at the two answers, I cannot differentiate why one is wrong and one is right.

maxpower430

Bronze

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:47 pm

something that is pretty commonly recommended here, and i can speak to it's success as well, is to write out the reason why the answer you chose was incorrect/why you chose it, and why the right answer is correct. in the past, i would review my wrong answers and be like "oh wow that was a dumb mistake, it's obviously x, i won't make that mistake again." and clearly, i would continue to make the same mistakes b/c i wasn't understanding why i was making them. i've since got my LR score down to about -3 or -4 per and am working to cut that down, and i think that method definitely helps.

as an aside, i was wondering what people think about using the manhattan lsat lr guide if you've already went through powerscore? i've noticed that i only struggle with a few specific sections, and i wonder if that would be a good supplement as well? thanks.

JG7773

Bronze

Postby JG7773 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 pm

maxpower430 wrote:something that is pretty commonly recommended here, and i can speak to it's success as well, is to write out the reason why the answer you chose was incorrect/why you chose it, and why the right answer is correct. in the past, i would review my wrong answers and be like "oh wow that was a dumb mistake, it's obviously x, i won't make that mistake again." and clearly, i would continue to make the same mistakes b/c i wasn't understanding why i was making them. i've since got my LR score down to about -3 or -4 per and am working to cut that down, and i think that method definitely helps.

as an aside, i was wondering what people think about using the manhattan lsat lr guide if you've already went through powerscore? i've noticed that i only struggle with a few specific sections, and i wonder if that would be a good supplement as well? thanks.

I have done this and in all honesty, even thought I have not completed the Manhattan version, I can see areas that are better explained and really focused on giving you a process to work from. I think the LRB does a great job of providing information and tips, but the Manhattan version does a great job of setting up a framework for you to build from for each question type. Overall, I have had better success in improving my accuracy with Manhattan's guide verses the LRB. . .

mac35352

Bronze

Postby mac35352 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm

maxpower430 wrote:something that is pretty commonly recommended here, and i can speak to it's success as well, is to write out the reason why the answer you chose was incorrect/why you chose it, and why the right answer is correct. in the past, i would review my wrong answers and be like "oh wow that was a dumb mistake, it's obviously x, i won't make that mistake again." and clearly, i would continue to make the same mistakes b/c i wasn't understanding why i was making them. i've since got my LR score down to about -3 or -4 per and am working to cut that down, and i think that method definitely helps.

I have been using the same method of evaluating my wrong answers and writing why I chose a particular answer, why it was incorrect and why is the right answer correct. I do it with the questions I was doubtful about as well. It works wonders.

minnbills

Gold

Postby minnbills » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:52 pm

One thing I've noticed is that the newer LR sections don't seem to favor using a more rigorous logical approach. I do better if I just try and be "rational" or "intuitive" instead of hammering things out.

Hope that made sense...

leche

Bronze

Postby leche » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 am

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote: I think my LR has gotten worse. Previously, I had timing issues (I couldn't finish a section). Now, even though I can finish the sections in time, I am actually getting more of the questions I finish wrong. Is this normal? Maybe I am just nervous?

Ugh same thing happened to me. I improved on some types that I always missed (parallel, flaw) but got worse at others where I started off pretty strong (strengthen, assumption). I will have to try this Manhattan book instead of PowerScore for LSAT take 2.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:41 am

Hey, I tried writing out a justification for all of my answers (right and wrong) for a couple of sections. It took me forever, but I ended up only missing a one or two out of each section. It was a lot more difficult to miss a question if I had to verbalize why I was choosing one answer over another. Anyway, I was getting -7 on average for each LR section. Last night I did a PT and got -3 and -4. Furthermore, the -7 composite that I got was more a result of timing issues than not knowing the answers. It could just be a fluke, but for now I am going to stick with this method because I think it is helping me understand the relationship between the questions and the answers a little better. Thanks to maxpower430 and mac35352 for the strategy.

JG7773 - Thanks for the suggestion about Manhattan LSAT. It sounds like they have a great plan for attacking the stimulus and questions, which might be more useful for improving my RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�