Anyone used Kaplan's test explanations? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Easy-E

Platinum

Anyone used Kaplan's test explanations?

Post by Easy-E » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

I have access to Kaplan's test explanations (as the title suggests) and was wondering if anyone has any experience or reviews of them? I can't imagine how they could hurt in addition my other materials (almost every PT, LG/LR bible, SuperPrep), but I know Kaplan is rarely recommended around this forum, so I figured I'd ask.

gggrra

New

Re: Anyone used Kaplan's test explanations?

Post by gggrra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 pm

I used them. They're okay. Some of the explanations of more difficult problems are not satisfying. Also, if you used other books (such as the powerscore books like I did), some of the Kaplan explanations might not fit with the techniques of the other books. I can't really say that the kaplan explanations hurt my preparations, so I guess my recommendation is to use it if you have it.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 pm

I took a Kaplan class, and while it (or more likely, me being "forced" to stick to a regular regimen and go above and beyond it) helped me improve a good 15-18 points, the test answers themselves aren't helpful at all. Some of them are typical answers that you read and go, "Oh. I see where I went wrong." But the problem a lot of users have (and justifiably so) on this forum is that many of their answers are basically like, "The correct answer is B, because it is. It can't possibly be A, C, or D, and E's just ridiculous, so it has to be B." Very vague and unhelpful, sometimes, is what I'm getting at.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:I took a Kaplan class, and while it (or more likely, me being "forced" to stick to a regular regimen and go above and beyond it) helped me improve a good 15-18 points, the test answers themselves aren't helpful at all. Some of them are typical answers that you read and go, "Oh. I see where I went wrong." But the problem a lot of users have (and justifiably so) on this forum is that many of their answers are basically like, "The correct answer is B, because it is. It can't possibly be A, C, or D, and E's just ridiculous, so it has to be B." Very vague and unhelpful, sometimes, is what I'm getting at.

Haha yeah their was a few explanations of problems like that in the NOVA Master the LSAT book as well. Theirs a few problems where it just tests one random condition (the answer) with no explanation of how to actually discern why it couldn't have been the others.

I might just use them for LR and RC sections since I don't want it to clash with the Powerscore lessons. Suppose it can't hurt.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Use them only after you've come up with your own explanations. Always try to figure out the explanation by yourself. Once youve done that, check the Kaplan one to see if you missed anything or if you were completely wrong.

I personally dont like the Kaplan explanations much because theyre very incomplete. They arent very specific and leave a lot to be desired. Again, avoid using them as your primary explanation source.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm

gdane wrote:Use them only after you've come up with your own explanations. Always try to figure out the explanation by yourself. Once youve done that, check the Kaplan one to see if you missed anything or if you were completely wrong.

I personally dont like the Kaplan explanations much because theyre very incomplete. They arent very specific and leave a lot to be desired. Again, avoid using them as your primary explanation source.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip! Do you recommend any explanations specifically, or is it really best just to go back and analyze each question and its answers yourself?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 pm

emarxnj wrote: Thanks for the tip! Do you recommend any explanations specifically, or is it really best just to go back and analyze each question and its answers yourself?
Always try to figure out every answer for yourself. Doing so will allow you to pick up on the patterns and nuances inherent in every LSAT question, mainly LR, and improve your score.

I do recommend this site though.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/blog/index ... lanations/

Their explanations are a lot better than the Kaplan ones. Do try to use this as a supplement to your studying though. It'll really help you more to figure the answers out yourself.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 pm

gdane wrote:
emarxnj wrote: Thanks for the tip! Do you recommend any explanations specifically, or is it really best just to go back and analyze each question and its answers yourself?
Always try to figure out every answer for yourself. Doing so will allow you to pick up on the patterns and nuances inherent in every LSAT question, mainly LR, and improve your score.

I do recommend this site though.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/blog/index ... lanations/

Their explanations are a lot better than the Kaplan ones. Do try to use this as a supplement to your studying though. It'll really help you more to figure the answers out yourself.

Looks good. I think I have an account over there for the daily logic game too. Thank you very much

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”