What should I charge for LSAT tutoring?

MandelbrotSet

What should I charge for LSAT tutoring?

Postby MandelbrotSet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 am

I've spent the last four years working for someone else as an LSAT teacher/tutor, but I've decided that I need a change of scenery, and I'm going to move at some point in the next few months. I have a 99th %ile official LSAT score, have had hundreds of students, can get references from them, can describe score improvement success stories, and so forth. I suspect that puts me somewhere in the middling ranks of LSAT tutors, but I'm confident in my abilities, and I'm confident that I'd help my clients raise their scores.

My issue is that I won't have a client base or much in the way of networking in my new city. I'd primarily rely on Craigslist and flyers around local colleges to advertise. I want to set a price that will be attractive to people browsing CL or looking at fliers, but I obviously also want to set the price that will get me the most money for my work.

Thoughts?

boat343

Re: What should I charge for LSAT tutoring?

Postby boat343 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 am

Pro bono.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:13 am

I'd suggest checking the big companies (Kaplan, PR, etc.) and seeing what they charge per hour in your new area. Price slightly lower and students may have a compelling reason to choose you over them.

MandelbrotSet

Postby MandelbrotSet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:15 am

aspire2more wrote:I'd suggest checking the big companies (Kaplan, PR, etc.) and seeing what they charge per hour in your new area. Price slightly lower and students may have a compelling reason to choose you over them.

Big companies generally charge $125-$150. I'd definitely set the price lower than that--my question is whether $80/hour is a good sweet spot, or whether I should cut the price even more.

I'll take the pro bono suggestion under advisement. ;)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”