Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 am

I'm taking the LSAT next October, and I plan to start self-prepping with LG/LR Bibles, and just about all the practice tests from 8 upwards. Planning on using some for drills and timed sections, the more recent ones for the last month to do full timed exams. This plan will be spread out over 5-6 months.

Someone told me once that the classes are helpful if you struggle with the basics, but if you're shooting for an upper range score (say, 168+) self-prep is going to be much more helpful.

If cost is a non-factor, is there any classes or tutoring options that would be of benefit towards the end of this prep? Or should I hope by that time (late summer) I'll have locked down any problem areas and addressed them.


EDIT: I don't mean to sound like a prick by saying "cost isn't an issue", someone has offered to pay for it if I am so inclined. Personally, I am broke :)

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:04 am

I believe the consensus is: If you can motivate yourself to stick to a regular study schedule, you don't need a class. The main benefit of the class is forcing you to keep up. If you can do that yourself, you're probably good.

User avatar
Clarity
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Clarity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:15 am

Assuming you are successful in your prep work the classes would be pretty useless at the end of your prep. If cost is not an issue maybe some time with a private tutor would be more beneficial?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 am

Clarity wrote:Assuming you are successful in your prep work the classes would be pretty useless at the end of your prep. If cost is not an issue maybe some time with a private tutor would be more beneficial?


I agree, I wouldn't be able to take the class until the end of the summer, and by then reviewing the basics of the LSAT isn't going to benefit me. I should already have the LG/LR Bibles done by then, as well as good chunk of the earlier PTs done for the accuracy/speed phases of my prep plan (guidelines for which I based off a post by Blackjack).

As to the second part, this is kind of what I was thinking, maybe if their was a certain question or game type that consistently gives me trouble? Any idea if private tutoring generally entails a minimum amount of hours though?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 am

emarxnj wrote:As to the second part, this is kind of what I was thinking, maybe if their was a certain question or game type that consistently gives me trouble? Any idea if private tutoring generally entails a minimum amount of hours though?

With us (Princeton Review), it's typically 4, except in unusual cases. 4 hours is significantly cheaper than the full package, which is usually 24. Not sure about other companies, but I imagine that it's similar.

You also get a full set of materials/etc. if you sign up for tutoring with us, though I don't know how useful that'd be if you're already self-studying and have most of the PTs. The online lessons could be useful. The same is likely true of other companies, but I don't know the details — might be something to ask about.

You could also use a tutor to do some diagnosing. If you plateau at some point, a tutor might be able to tell you what you have to do (it usually won't be easy or simple) to get past that.

hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby hooma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 pm

I've been wondering this too, since I'm also in the fortunate position of having someone else willing to pay for a class. The firm I work for will reimburse me up to $1,500 for a class after I've worked here for 2 years, but I can take the class whenever (I'm going to double check about private tutoring, this is something I've also been considering).

For me, it's not exactly free money since there's some risk involved if I don't end up working at the same firm for the next year and a half, although it's a fairly safe bet. I'm still thinking it's worth it, but my question is: what's the best company if you've already been prepping by yourself for a couple of months? I feel like the ideal would have been to take a class and then self-prep, but it's too late now! If anyone has taken Atlas, your insight would be appreciated, since they're who I'm most seriously considering and there's not a lot of noise about them on TLS.

OP, in a similar position, I'm probably going to take a class or hire a tutor because, although it may be overkill, when I take the LSAT in June for the 2nd (and definitely last) time, I want to know that I did everything I could to prepare.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

tomwatts wrote:
emarxnj wrote:As to the second part, this is kind of what I was thinking, maybe if their was a certain question or game type that consistently gives me trouble? Any idea if private tutoring generally entails a minimum amount of hours though?

With us (Princeton Review), it's typically 4, except in unusual cases. 4 hours is significantly cheaper than the full package, which is usually 24. Not sure about other companies, but I imagine that it's similar.

You also get a full set of materials/etc. if you sign up for tutoring with us, though I don't know how useful that'd be if you're already self-studying and have most of the PTs. The online lessons could be useful. The same is likely true of other companies, but I don't know the details — might be something to ask about.

You could also use a tutor to do some diagnosing. If you plateau at some point, a tutor might be able to tell you what you have to do (it usually won't be easy or simple) to get past that.


This was the class being offered, the 4 person PR course. I've already order the LG and LR bible, all 3 "actual official" books, SuperPrep, and I have PT 46-57, and will order 58-62 later on. I'm guessing the materials offered in class might be redundant by the time I take it, so a tutor might be the best choice. I guess I'll have to see how I progress in the coming months.


hooma wrote:I've been wondering this too, since I'm also in the fortunate position of having someone else willing to pay for a class. The firm I work for will reimburse me up to $1,500 for a class after I've worked here for 2 years, but I can take the class whenever (I'm going to double check about private tutoring, this is something I've also been considering).

For me, it's not exactly free money since there's some risk involved if I don't end up working at the same firm for the next year and a half, although it's a fairly safe bet. I'm still thinking it's worth it, but my question is: what's the best company if you've already been prepping by yourself for a couple of months? I feel like the ideal would have been to take a class and then self-prep, but it's too late now! If anyone has taken Atlas, your insight would be appreciated, since they're who I'm most seriously considering and there's not a lot of noise about them on TLS.

OP, in a similar position, I'm probably going to take a class or hire a tutor because, although it may be overkill, when I take the LSAT in June for the 2nd (and definitely last) time, I want to know that I did everything I could to prepare.



I share your sentiment about doing everything to prepare. I figure it can't hurt in theory, but since I'd have to take it later in my prep time, I suppose it could conflict with my pre-existing preparations. But yeah, I'd hate to think their was something I could have done for just a one or two point boost...

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Kurst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 pm

hooma wrote:what's the best company if you've already been prepping by yourself for a couple of months?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=144829#p3876323

For Atlas, see this post by Noah: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122738#p3183626

And this review by a TLS user: http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =6&t=87739

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:54 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Clarity wrote:Assuming you are successful in your prep work the classes would be pretty useless at the end of your prep. If cost is not an issue maybe some time with a private tutor would be more beneficial?


I agree, I wouldn't be able to take the class until the end of the summer, and by then reviewing the basics of the LSAT isn't going to benefit me. I should already have the LG/LR Bibles done by then, as well as good chunk of the earlier PTs done for the accuracy/speed phases of my prep plan (guidelines for which I based off a post by Blackjack).

As to the second part, this is kind of what I was thinking, maybe if their was a certain question or game type that consistently gives me trouble? Any idea if private tutoring generally entails a minimum amount of hours though?


If you are in the NYC area, I don't require a minimum amount of hours. I think most independent tutors are the same.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 am

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Clarity wrote:Assuming you are successful in your prep work the classes would be pretty useless at the end of your prep. If cost is not an issue maybe some time with a private tutor would be more beneficial?


I agree, I wouldn't be able to take the class until the end of the summer, and by then reviewing the basics of the LSAT isn't going to benefit me. I should already have the LG/LR Bibles done by then, as well as good chunk of the earlier PTs done for the accuracy/speed phases of my prep plan (guidelines for which I based off a post by Blackjack).

As to the second part, this is kind of what I was thinking, maybe if their was a certain question or game type that consistently gives me trouble? Any idea if private tutoring generally entails a minimum amount of hours though?


If you are in the NYC area, I don't require a minimum amount of hours. I think most independent tutors are the same.



I'll be in Central Jersey, near Belmar, so probably out of your range, but good to know.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby 2011Law » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 am

I only ever did self prep, but if I imagine if I had more time to study and cost was not an issue, I'd do more PTs and maybe get a tutor if I got stuck at a score range after 10 PTs.

In any case, though I never did it so take it for what its worth, my advice is to yes, take a class / get a tutor if there is no cost to anyone who can't afford it.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 am

2011Law wrote:I only ever did self prep, but if I imagine if I had more time to study and cost was not an issue, I'd do more PTs and maybe get a tutor if I got stuck at a score range after 10 PTs.

In any case, though I never did it so take it for what its worth, my advice is to yes, take a class / get a tutor if there is no cost to anyone who can't afford it.



Makes sense, if I'm not showing progress through self-prep I'll look into a class. Otherwise maybe just some tutoring hours towards the end to address problem areas.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Any need for a class if cost isn't an issue?

Postby bartleby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:57 am

If cost isn't an issue, take a class. I think one of the hardest things about prep is trying to figure out where you're going wrong. For example, for LR, maybe you struggle with one or more types of question - or maybe it is something you are doing something wrong fundamentally. Not saying a class will auto-correct things but it'll give you a better chance than pinpointing it yourself.

I self-studied and if money wasn't an issue, I would've taken a class. You can take a class and then self-study if you feel like it. For me, I missed 11 in RC in December and ended up with a 165. It was my fourth time taking it and I sucked at RC all four times - not for lack of trying. I did everything I possibly could do on my own but couldn't crack the code. Not saying a class would have helped me but LSAT points are worth their weight in gold. Take the class and don't waste time developing bad habits. Sorry if I am repetitive as fuck.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help, Lahtso Nuggin, StopLawying, tracy9524 and 7 guests