PT 38, Game 4 - Diagramming help!

oyezoyez2015

PT 38, Game 4 - Diagramming help!

Postby oyezoyez2015 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Hello,

I've been attacking Advanced linear games, and am stumped as to how to efficiently diagram Game 4 in PT 38 "Musicians Game". I made two different diagrams, (one with N as 2, the other with T performing 2) but from there I get stuck as to how to proceed. If anyone has had any luck on this game, I would love to get your insight.

Thanks.

EarlCat

Re: PT 38, Game 4 - Diagramming help!

Postby EarlCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:17 pm

oyezoyez2015 wrote:I've been attacking Advanced linear games, and am stumped as to how to efficiently diagram Game 4 in PT 38 "Musicians Game". I made two different diagrams, (one with N as 2, the other with T performing 2) but from there I get stuck as to how to proceed. If anyone has had any luck on this game, I would love to get your insight.

Peeking down at the questions, only one of the questions deals with the individual instruments. This indicates to me that keeping up with instruments themselves isn't terribly important. They're primarily there as clues to tell you which songs can be next to each other. Each song can be next to only two others, which limits the diagram quite a bit once you get some info down. So I'd make a list of who can be next to who:

N: T V
O: S V
S: O T
T: N S
V: N O

You also know that N or T is 2, and from there you can narrow down what goes in 1:

T/V N ___ ___ ___
or
N/S T ___ ___ ___
Last edited by EarlCat on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Don't feel bad this game kicked my ass last night. I typically try to do 4 LG problems a night and keep track of my time per game and then see if I finished all 4 under 35 minutes combined. I spent 10 minutes on this game last night and only got 2 right while on the other 3 advanced linear games I finished all 3 in about 7 minutes apiece without missing any so it just seems to be a very difficult game since its a lot different then the other advanced linear games with the addition of the common instruments rule.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:34 pm

I'd like to revive this, if I may. I just completed this game and would also like any help or advice with the set-up. While I appreciate the previous explanation, this set-up does not explain the first correct answer choice, which lists the order as TNSOV. I used similar set-ups "T/V N T/V __ __" and "N/S T N/S __ __" and was stuck on the first problem until I figured out that the second and third spots do not have to share an instrument.

With that said, does anyone know of a better set-up that can take all of this into account?

Thanks.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Sorry, I botched this one not paying attention. (Will fix my original post if I can).

The rule is that each piece must share an instrument with the one before OR after it (possibly, but not necessarily both!).
Because each diagram locks down the 2nd space, you know the second piece must share an instrument with the first (because the first can only share with the second), but we're not sure whether the 2nd and 3rd share an instrument.

So our two diagrams narrow down options for only the first two spots, not the first three. The third piece could be anything as long as it shares with either the 2nd or the 4th. No matter what, the 4th MUST share with the 5th.

T/V N ___ ___ ___
or
N/S T ___ ___ ___
Last edited by EarlCat on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:08 pm

EarlCat wrote:Sorry, I botched this one not paying attention. (Will fix my original post if I can).

The rule is that each piece must share an instrument with the one before OR after it.
Because each diagram locks down the 2nd space, you know the second piece must share an instrument with the first (because the first can only share with the second), but we're not sure whether the 2nd and 3rd share an instrument.

So our two diagrams narrow down options for only the first two spots, not the first three. The third piece could be anything as long as it shares with either the 2nd or the 4th. No matter what, the 4th MUST share with the 5th.

T/V N ___ ___ ___
or
N/S T ___ ___ ___

Thanks. This helps.

E

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”