Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 am

I was curious if anyone is else is preparing this far in advanced. Alot of the study guides I see seem to be geared towards the ~3 month prep period, although the LSAT Blog has 6 and 7 month plans outlined. If you're also prepping now for a relatively far off test, whats your approach, or at least your plan? What materials are you utilizing, what improvements do you hope to make from whatever diagnostic you might have, etc. Part of me is concerned that I'm going to run out of PT's too early on!

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 am

Probably should have included my plan...


NOVA' Master the LSAT (got from a friend untouched, using to familiarize. Solid RC section I hear)
All three "Actual 10" PT books
Newest PT's (46-57 now, ordering the last few)
LR, LG, and RC Bibles

I definitetly want to incorporate at least one more book, but I'm really not sure what. Maybe a non-LSAT specific logical reasoning book?

Opyth
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Opyth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am

Well, I'm somewhat planning this far ahead. I plan on taking it in October, but I may take the June test as a possible warm-up. If I do well, ED ftw.

All the bibles (I may change to Nova if the RC is good. I only say RC Bible because I haven't taken standardized tests in 5 years.)
All formerly administered LSATS I can acquire.

This is all I have planned so far, but I'll only time 80% of the LSAT tests I buy (most likely.)

About another book, I haven't heard many good things outside the bibles. My idea is to smash these practice tests out the back of my skull.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 am

Opyth wrote: I may take the June test as a possible warm-up.

My advice: Don't take any LSAT as a "warm-up". Only take the test if you feel prepared.

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby PurplePirate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 am

naterj wrote:
Opyth wrote: I may take the June test as a possible warm-up.

My advice: Don't take any LSAT as a "warm-up". Only take the test if you feel prepared.


This.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Opyth wrote:Well, I'm somewhat planning this far ahead. I plan on taking it in October, but I may take the June test as a possible warm-up. If I do well, ED ftw.

All the bibles (I may change to Nova if the RC is good. I only say RC Bible because I haven't taken standardized tests in 5 years.)
All formerly administered LSATS I can acquire.

This is all I have planned so far, but I'll only time 80% of the LSAT tests I buy (most likely.)

About another book, I haven't heard many good things outside the bibles. My idea is to smash these practice tests out the back of my skull.



I didn't do much research before I grabbed the NOVA text, from what I can tell (which isn't much to be honest) its seems like a strong starting point, and I've heard good things from others about the RC section in particular, which I just began reading. The first two sections were good enough I suppose, although I think the LR section was lacking.

I know some schools are now only taking your highest LSAT score, but I think for the majority they get both, so I really wouldn't take a practice LSAT. Just get some to proctor a recent PT maybe?



--My overall plan is to work through the bibles section by section with corresponding problems/sections in the older tests, and then once I get within 2-3 months of my test date, up the pace and start taking a much higher amount of more recent practice tests...I guess my real concern is running out of PTs!



EDIT: Once I've already read NOVA's Master the LSAT and feel I'm ready to move on to the more section-specific texts, is their any reason to pick up a book like the LSAT SuperPrep? Or is it still a good choice considering its by the LSAC

polevaulter
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby polevaulter » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:35 pm

emarxnj wrote:I was curious if anyone is else is preparing this far in advanced. Alot of the study guides I see seem to be geared towards the ~3 month prep period, although the LSAT Blog has 6 and 7 month plans outlined. If you're also prepping now for a relatively far off test, whats your approach, or at least your plan? What materials are you utilizing, what improvements do you hope to make from whatever diagnostic you might have, etc. Part of me is concerned that I'm going to run out of PT's too early on!


That's a really long time to wait. Why can't you take the June 6th exam instead?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:34 pm

polevaulter wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I was curious if anyone is else is preparing this far in advanced. Alot of the study guides I see seem to be geared towards the ~3 month prep period, although the LSAT Blog has 6 and 7 month plans outlined. If you're also prepping now for a relatively far off test, whats your approach, or at least your plan? What materials are you utilizing, what improvements do you hope to make from whatever diagnostic you might have, etc. Part of me is concerned that I'm going to run out of PT's too early on!


That's a really long time to wait. Why can't you take the June 6th exam instead?


I figured either way I wouldn't be applying for next year, and id rather be able to spread out most of my prep work (still moderately intense, just not 4 hours a day every day) and then use the last month or so for the most intense prep where ill be taking the newest pts. Plus I don't really trust myself to do an intense 3 month prep through my finals and a summer back home.

polevaulter
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby polevaulter » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm

emarxnj wrote:
polevaulter wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I was curious if anyone is else is preparing this far in advanced. Alot of the study guides I see seem to be geared towards the ~3 month prep period, although the LSAT Blog has 6 and 7 month plans outlined. If you're also prepping now for a relatively far off test, whats your approach, or at least your plan? What materials are you utilizing, what improvements do you hope to make from whatever diagnostic you might have, etc. Part of me is concerned that I'm going to run out of PT's too early on!


That's a really long time to wait. Why can't you take the June 6th exam instead?


I figured either way I wouldn't be applying for next year, and id rather be able to spread out most of my prep work (still moderately intense, just not 4 hours a day every day) and then use the last month or so for the most intense prep where ill be taking the newest pts. Plus I don't really trust myself to do an intense 3 month prep through my finals and a summer back home.


That makes sense because your still in college. Make sure to get plenty done this summer and through September...first month of fall semester was always pretty easy (for me anyhow). Good luck to you!

TRex77
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:27 am

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby TRex77 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 pm

I will start studying in a month for the October LSAT. Buying the Blueprint test prep which I can access until the October test so will be using that the whole time. And taking as many tests as I can.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 am

TRex77 wrote:I will start studying in a month for the October LSAT. Buying the Blueprint test prep which I can access until the October test so will be using that the whole time. And taking as many tests as I can.



Yepp, I'm gonna try and take every exam I can find! Planning on using the earlier ones for things like drills and timed sections, also going to make photocopys for reviewing problems I get wrong. Then once I get within a month or so of my test date I'll probably start doing full-length timed exams from PT 46 and up.

I've been asking around and it seems like maybe I should put off starting my actual prep for a month like you said you're doing. I have plenty of dense reading to do in the meantime (history major), but I honestly enjoy doing the LSAT work.

TRex77
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:27 am

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby TRex77 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 am

emarxnj wrote:
TRex77 wrote:I will start studying in a month for the October LSAT. Buying the Blueprint test prep which I can access until the October test so will be using that the whole time. And taking as many tests as I can.



Yepp, I'm gonna try and take every exam I can find! Planning on using the earlier ones for things like drills and timed sections, also going to make photocopys for reviewing problems I get wrong. Then once I get within a month or so of my test date I'll probably start doing full-length timed exams from PT 46 and up.

I've been asking around and it seems like maybe I should put off starting my actual prep for a month like you said you're doing. I have plenty of dense reading to do in the meantime (history major), but I honestly enjoy doing the LSAT work.


yeah my quarter is done in a month and next quarter im taking a light schedule so will be devoting most of my time to studying. Then summer I am just traveling/studying for the LSAT before the october test.

User avatar
Clarity
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Clarity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 am

emarxnj wrote:I was curious if anyone is else is preparing this far in advanced. Alot of the study guides I see seem to be geared towards the ~3 month prep period, although the LSAT Blog has 6 and 7 month plans outlined. If you're also prepping now for a relatively far off test, whats your approach, or at least your plan? What materials are you utilizing, what improvements do you hope to make from whatever diagnostic you might have, etc. Part of me is concerned that I'm going to run out of PT's too early on!


I am currently signed up for June but I am considering postponing until October or December (I am not applying for Fall 2012). I am going to read the RC Bible, LR Bible and LG Bible and take a diagnostic test in March then decide if I need to postpone. If I end up postponing then I will probably plan out when I am going to take PTs in my iCal and when I am going to review them. Then I will know I won't run out of PTs too quickly and the schedule will help keep me motivated.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Clarity wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I was curious if anyone is else is preparing this far in advanced. Alot of the study guides I see seem to be geared towards the ~3 month prep period, although the LSAT Blog has 6 and 7 month plans outlined. If you're also prepping now for a relatively far off test, whats your approach, or at least your plan? What materials are you utilizing, what improvements do you hope to make from whatever diagnostic you might have, etc. Part of me is concerned that I'm going to run out of PT's too early on!


I am currently signed up for June but I am considering postponing until October or December (I am not applying for Fall 2012). I am going to read the RC Bible, LR Bible and LG Bible and take a diagnostic test in March then decide if I need to postpone. If I end up postponing then I will probably plan out when I am going to take PTs in my iCal and when I am going to review them. Then I will know I won't run out of PTs too quickly and the schedule will help keep me motivated.


Probably a good idea to plan out a schedule on a calendar like that, maybe I'll use Google's and sync it to my phone for reminders, appreciate the tip. Any idea how you plan on using the PTs (section by section, timed/untimed, full timed exams).

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 pm

The only effective thing you can do right now in preparation for October's exam is to build up your speed and tolerance for dense readings.

It is too early to start working with actual LSAT questions without getting burnt out in my opinion (which comes with a little experience)

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 pm

2014 wrote:The only effective thing you can do right now in preparation for October's exam is to build up your speed and tolerance for dense readings.

It is too early to start working with actual LSAT questions without getting burnt out in my opinion (which comes with a little experience)




This is becoming a concern of mine as well, in addition to trying to maintain an intense prep schedule over such a long period without running out of materials... I'm thinking of just delaying my prep plan until the start of April, which works out well since I have a pretty large amount of reading to do for classes (book reviews for history papers namely), which I should be doing anyways. After that I'll dedicate about two months of prep to building accuracy and understanding of problems, the next two months (June and July) to building speed by doing timed sections with PTs 39 and down, and the last month will be the most intense, using the newer PTs and taking full timed tests as much as possible (18 tests, one every other day).

Does this seem like a solid plan? Or am I going to run out of PTs? I honestly enjoy doing the work so I don't see myself getting burnt out, unless I find I can't improve to any degree, which I doubt will be the case.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 pm

emarxnj wrote:
2014 wrote:The only effective thing you can do right now in preparation for October's exam is to build up your speed and tolerance for dense readings.

It is too early to start working with actual LSAT questions without getting burnt out in my opinion (which comes with a little experience)




This is becoming a concern of mine as well, in addition to trying to maintain an intense prep schedule over such a long period without running out of materials... I'm thinking of just delaying my prep plan until the start of April, which works out well since I have a pretty large amount of reading to do for classes (book reviews for history papers namely), which I should be doing anyways. After that I'll dedicate about two months of prep to building accuracy and understanding of problems, the next two months (June and July) to building speed by doing timed sections with PTs 39 and down, and the last month will be the most intense, using the newer PTs and taking full timed tests as much as possible (18 tests, one every other day).

Does this seem like a solid plan? Or am I going to run out of PTs? I honestly enjoy doing the work so I don't see myself getting burnt out, unless I find I can't improve to any degree, which I doubt will be the case.

Yeah that sounds feasible. Take advantage of your class readings now too. They are in all likelihood worse than the LSAT passages but written with the same audience in mind, so if you can master reading them quickly and deciphering main points and viewpoints, change in tones, etc, it will serve as useful LSAT practice when you sit down to tackle RC.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 pm

2014 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
2014 wrote:The only effective thing you can do right now in preparation for October's exam is to build up your speed and tolerance for dense readings.

It is too early to start working with actual LSAT questions without getting burnt out in my opinion (which comes with a little experience)




This is becoming a concern of mine as well, in addition to trying to maintain an intense prep schedule over such a long period without running out of materials... I'm thinking of just delaying my prep plan until the start of April, which works out well since I have a pretty large amount of reading to do for classes (book reviews for history papers namely), which I should be doing anyways. After that I'll dedicate about two months of prep to building accuracy and understanding of problems, the next two months (June and July) to building speed by doing timed sections with PTs 39 and down, and the last month will be the most intense, using the newer PTs and taking full timed tests as much as possible (18 tests, one every other day).

Does this seem like a solid plan? Or am I going to run out of PTs? I honestly enjoy doing the work so I don't see myself getting burnt out, unless I find I can't improve to any degree, which I doubt will be the case.

Yeah that sounds feasible. Take advantage of your class readings now too. They are in all likelihood worse than the LSAT passages but written with the same audience in mind, so if you can master reading them quickly and deciphering main points and viewpoints, change in tones, etc, it will serve as useful LSAT practice when you sit down to tackle RC.



Some of the reading is a bit more enjoyable than others, but it all certainly qualifies as "dense" :)

I've been looking at the prep schedules on the LSAT Blog page, and the six month is roughly what I was planning, with the addition of some of the excellent materials available over there.

polevaulter
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby polevaulter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:51 pm

emarxnj wrote:
2014 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
2014 wrote:The only effective thing you can do right now in preparation for October's exam is to build up your speed and tolerance for dense readings.

It is too early to start working with actual LSAT questions without getting burnt out in my opinion (which comes with a little experience)




This is becoming a concern of mine as well, in addition to trying to maintain an intense prep schedule over such a long period without running out of materials... I'm thinking of just delaying my prep plan until the start of April, which works out well since I have a pretty large amount of reading to do for classes (book reviews for history papers namely), which I should be doing anyways. After that I'll dedicate about two months of prep to building accuracy and understanding of problems, the next two months (June and July) to building speed by doing timed sections with PTs 39 and down, and the last month will be the most intense, using the newer PTs and taking full timed tests as much as possible (18 tests, one every other day).

Does this seem like a solid plan? Or am I going to run out of PTs? I honestly enjoy doing the work so I don't see myself getting burnt out, unless I find I can't improve to any degree, which I doubt will be the case.

Yeah that sounds feasible. Take advantage of your class readings now too. They are in all likelihood worse than the LSAT passages but written with the same audience in mind, so if you can master reading them quickly and deciphering main points and viewpoints, change in tones, etc, it will serve as useful LSAT practice when you sit down to tackle RC.



Some of the reading is a bit more enjoyable than others, but it all certainly qualifies as "dense" :)

I've been looking at the prep schedules on the LSAT Blog page, and the six month is roughly what I was planning, with the addition of some of the excellent materials available over there.


What do you think of the schedules from the LSAT Blog? I'm thinking about using the 4 month plan. Thanks.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

polevaulter wrote:
What do you think of the schedules from the LSAT Blog? I'm thinking about using the 4 month plan. Thanks.




To be honest, I can't really say for sure, but I've heard good things, they are very detailed, and they utilize the materials that it seems like the vast majority of people on this forum recommend (PowerScore Bibles, SuperPrep, lots of actual PTs). I'm still trying to figure out the whole system of repeating past problems, and making sure not to do problems that will be used later on the actual tests. But that might be less of an issue in the four month plan.

Overall they seem very solid. He also offers alot of his own materials to work in sync with the SuperPrep and LG/LR Bibles, which certainly seems useful. Maybe someone who has used one of these study plans can comment?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm

rebexness wrote:I will begin my studying in March for October LSAT. I've taken twice and see no reason to take June when Oct will do. Plus I work full time and spend way too much of my life commuting.

I didn't really study much for the first two tests (except for screwing around with the LG).

The following are my prep materials:

PTs 50-59 (Plus Oct 10 and Dec 10 LSATS)
3 Bibles
LSAT Mastery
Superprep
10 Actual, Next 10, More 10...

I haven't made my plan of attack yet but I will probably use the LSAT blog and the ones on here.
I'm also trying to go from "fluffy fun" reading material to stuff that is a little more dense.


I've heard The Economist and The New Yorker recommended for reading practice, I think the Op/Ed sections specifically? I've always done well with reading comp work fortunately, and my major has really lended itself to a ton of reading. I can recommend some EXTREMELY dense literature on Canadian History if one were so inclined :)

jpwindsurfer
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby jpwindsurfer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 pm

i take it in october.
i think it makes sense to start as early as possible to get used to the techniques.
time is running by fast anyway.
my recommendation is to do at least a diagnostic and check where you are when you are in the 170 range then you may consider starting later but when you are below 170 its definitely not too early to start now
and remember there can always come up something that prevents you from studying
this is my personal opinion

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:27 pm

jpwindsurfer wrote:i take it in october.
i think it makes sense to start as early as possible to get used to the techniques.
time is running by fast anyway.
my recommendation is to do at least a diagnostic and check where you are when you are in the 170 range then you may consider starting later but when you are below 170 its definitely not too early to start now
and remember there can always come up something that prevents you from studying
this is my personal opinion


I took my first PT relatively cold and got a 155. Time was the biggest killer, plus I only had the NOVA Master the LSAT prep , and only on the LG section (which is lacking in depth). If I had ended up with a higher score, I probably would have scheduled for June.

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Anyone studying NOW for next Octobers LSAT?

Postby maxpower430 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

I am currently in the middle of the lsat blog 7 month schedule (i paid for the day by day, which i would recommend) and i think it is a great system so far. i've raised my diagnostic 10 points thus far (158-168), and definitely feel like the schedule has helped. personally, i like having what needs to be done spelled out, and the guide is very good at making sure you don't get burned out (the early months aren't the most time consuming i found), and if you want to take a week off for w/e reason it is very easy to get caught up, and if you're so inclined you can throw in a PT here or there. at the same time, however, it is very thorough, and i found some of his articles to be extremely helpful. so i'd recommend it thus far, but will be able to say more in june. hope this helps, if you have any other questions about the guide i'd be happy to answer them




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: batlaw, bearedman8, birdkin, brewpub16, drumpf, dstars823, haus, Instrumental, lawschool2017712, lawsforeign, Reeferside and 34 guests