LR Question from PT35

mickeyD

LR Question from PT35

Postby mickeyD » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Question about a LR question from PT 35:

PT35, LR Section 1, Question 21.

I just don't understand why choice (E) is more correct than choice (B). Choice (B) resolves the paradox by providing information that the patient's problem cannot be solved by more sleep, because fatigue is alleviated in the first 2 hours, and he gets 4-6 hours. That would explain why he was not advised to sleep more, because that treatment would not help his problem.

I felt that Choice (E) goes outside the scope. It brings in the concept about "worrying," and who's to say that if the patient was advised to sleep more that he would worry about it? Even if such a "worry" applied to the patient, according to the answer, it CAN make it more difficult to sleep. But who's to say that it will for him?

Any input from you LR experts?

benito

Re: LR Question from PT35

Postby benito » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm

B does not contribute to a resolution of the paradox, it may well be that the first two hours of sleep do the MOST to alleviate fatigue but there's nothing there that says subsequent hours of sleep would not help. In fact the stimulus clearly states the patient is getting more than 2 hours (4-6 hours actually) and that this is still a shortage that is contributing to the fatigue. So even if the first two hours of sleep really are the most useful for alleviating fatigue, that doesn't provide a reason why the doctor would not advise her to sleep more. E while not being a great answer does provide some ostensible reason for a doctor to not recommend more sleep. Remember this is not a must be true situation so your question "whos to say it will for him" does not really apply. The only thing the right answer choice has to do is provide SOME legitimate reason why a doctor would advise a person with a condition caused by lack of sleep, not to sleep more. E provides a reason, the other answer choices do not.

ejh22

Postby ejh22 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having trouble with this one too although I find (A) to be the more convincing answer. If (A) were true then the doctor wouldn't recommend more sleep because the longer one sleeps, the more likely they would feel fatigued (because of having a harder time waking from sleeping). Is (A) wrong because then the doctor would recommend the patient to sleep less? Or because the connection between waking from sleep and feeling fatigued is unwarranted? I guess I understand how (E) is better than (A) and therefore, the right answer, but just want to confirm why in fact (A) is wrong.

Thanks for your help!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 pm

ejh22 wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having trouble with this one too although I find (A) to be the more convincing answer. If (A) were true then the doctor wouldn't recommend more sleep because the longer one sleeps, the more likely they would feel fatigued (because of having a harder time waking from sleeping). Is (A) wrong because then the doctor would recommend the patient to sleep less? Or because the connection between waking from sleep and feeling fatigued is unwarranted? I guess I understand how (E) is better than (A) and therefore, the right answer, but just want to confirm why in fact (A) is wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Have you checked this out first? http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/pre ... b3d33b72ce

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 pm

ejh22 wrote:If (A) were true then the doctor wouldn't recommend more sleep because the longer one sleeps, the more likely they would feel fatigued (because of having a harder time waking from sleeping). Is (A) wrong because then the doctor would recommend the patient to sleep less? Or because the connection between waking from sleep and feeling fatigued is unwarranted?

The patient averages 4-6 hours of sleep; this amount of sleep contributes to the patient's constant fatigue. If it were true that the shorter one's sleep time, the easier it is to awaken from sleeping, the patient could very well be fatigued because she was waking up in the middle of the night. In other words, if (A) were true, the doctor would recommend sleeping more: because the patient averages only 4-6 hours of sleep, she is more likely to wake up in the middle of the night than someone who averages, for example, 8 hours of sleep. Answer choice (A) does not explain the paradox; it exacerbates the paradox. Your notion that someone who has a harder time waking up will likely feel fatigued confuses what answer choice (A) is saying. (A) says that less sleep = more likely to wake up (or more sleep = less likely to wake up). Your assumption that someone who is less likely to wake up will tend to feel fatigued is just that: your assumption. Neither (A) nor the stimulus makes that assumption.

99.9luft: Manhattan LSAT has no thread discussing this question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”