Re-taking LSAT after sending in seat deposit

mm12

Re-taking LSAT after sending in seat deposit

Postby mm12 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Just wondering if it is violating admissions policy if you re-take the lsat in june after your have been accepted for fall2011 and sent in seat deposits?

Scored 160 on my first attempt in dec. 2010. (3.9 UGPA)

Disappointed with my score after I was scoring higher (163 median) on proctored diagnostics.

Definitely feel that nerves got the best of me... Slept 3 hours night before. Was extremely cautious and slow on the test.

I am happy with the schools I have been accepted to and my parents/grandparents are paying for everything.

I just feel like taking the test with no pressure and going all out.

Would probably consider going through next admissions cycle if I score 164+

fatduck

Re: Re-taking LSAT after sending in seat deposit

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:15 am

there is nothing wrong with this

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Almost every school treats the seat deposit as incentive for you to come, not as a binding contract. So if you killed June and thought you could get in somewhere else, it would probably be fine. It could also help you negotiate a higher scholly from the schools you deposited at

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:29 pm

fatduck wrote:there is nothing wrong with this

Postby 2014 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 am

I've seen people take the LSAT while they are in law school to leverage up through transfers. They can't tell you not to.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:08 am

2014 wrote:I've seen people take the LSAT while they are in law school to leverage up through transfers. They can't tell you not to.

Sure, it is not prohibited and people are free to do it. However, that doesn't mean it is a worthwhile thing to do in terms of investment and possible rewards.

For LS admission purposes LSAT scores are used as a major factor to try and predict how well applicants will likely perform during their first year of law school. LSAC does not claim it is useful for predicting anything beyond test takers 1L performance if they become a 1L. None of the available long term data supports it's predictive value for anything else.

For transfer purposes, since first semester 1L grades have been established and the law student/transfer applicants performance/rank amongst his/her class peers is known, the predictive use of an LSAT score for transfer purposes (to answer the question: 'How well can/will this person perform in LS?') is pretty much nothing since direct evidence is available.

1L performance (grades and class rank after first semester) speaks directly to the question. Re-taking the LSAT while in LS in order to try and transfer is silly since that is not what the schools put weight on when considering transfer applications. They look at how well the applicant actually performed in LS and aren't persuaded by anachronistic ploys like "Hey XYZ LS, look, I'm really good at the LSAT now, never mind that I kinda sucked and was mediocre in LS so far."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”