Question about "Games Grouped by Type"

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Question about "Games Grouped by Type"

Postby Easy-E » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:38 am

I have a quick question about the "Grouped by Type" and "Grouped by Question Type" books. I assume all the problems included are from the actual LSAT, so if I have the "Next 10" and "10 More" Official LSAT preptests, plus tests 46-57, is there a point to getting these books, or is it just the same problems reorganized?

vamos
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Question about "Games Grouped by Type"

Postby vamos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:44 am

emarxnj wrote:I have a quick question about the "Grouped by Type" and "Grouped by Question Type" books. I assume all the problems included are from the actual LSAT, so if I have the "Next 10" and "10 More" Official LSAT preptests, plus tests 46-57, is there a point to getting these books, or is it just the same problems reorganized?

It's the same problems reorganized, but you can only find PTs 1-40 grouped by type. You mentioned that you have "10 More" and "The Next 10", so you have PTs 19-38. You can buy PTs 1-20 grouped by type from Cambridge or Traciela and you would only overlap on PTs 19 and 20.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Question about "Games Grouped by Type"

Postby Easy-E » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:28 pm

vamos wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I have a quick question about the "Grouped by Type" and "Grouped by Question Type" books. I assume all the problems included are from the actual LSAT, so if I have the "Next 10" and "10 More" Official LSAT preptests, plus tests 46-57, is there a point to getting these books, or is it just the same problems reorganized?

It's the same problems reorganized, but you can only find PTs 1-40 grouped by type. You mentioned that you have "10 More" and "The Next 10", so you have PTs 19-38. You can buy PTs 1-20 grouped by type from Cambridge or Traciela and you would only overlap on PTs 19 and 20.


Ah I see. I forgot to mention, in addition to those books I also have PTs 46-57, and I plan on ordering the most recent on Amazon as well. I'm not taking the test anytime soon (next fall) so obviously I'd like to get through as many PTs as possible, if not all, but I've been hearing different stories about the usefulness of the older tests...are some of the LG games presented no longer in use, or will they still be useful as long as I progress to more recent ones as my test date nears?

vamos
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Question about "Games Grouped by Type"

Postby vamos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:55 pm

emarxnj wrote:
vamos wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I have a quick question about the "Grouped by Type" and "Grouped by Question Type" books. I assume all the problems included are from the actual LSAT, so if I have the "Next 10" and "10 More" Official LSAT preptests, plus tests 46-57, is there a point to getting these books, or is it just the same problems reorganized?

It's the same problems reorganized, but you can only find PTs 1-40 grouped by type. You mentioned that you have "10 More" and "The Next 10", so you have PTs 19-38. You can buy PTs 1-20 grouped by type from Cambridge or Traciela and you would only overlap on PTs 19 and 20.


Ah I see. I forgot to mention, in addition to those books I also have PTs 46-57, and I plan on ordering the most recent on Amazon as well. I'm not taking the test anytime soon (next fall) so obviously I'd like to get through as many PTs as possible, if not all, but I've been hearing different stories about the usefulness of the older tests...are some of the LG games presented no longer in use, or will they still be useful as long as I progress to more recent ones as my test date nears?

The old LGs still provide good practice material. If you have the time, you would probably benefit from going through all of the games, and even doing them several times. Take a look at PithyPike's study guide, you might find that helpful.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Question about "Games Grouped by Type"

Postby Easy-E » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:56 pm

vamos wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
vamos wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I have a quick question about the "Grouped by Type" and "Grouped by Question Type" books. I assume all the problems included are from the actual LSAT, so if I have the "Next 10" and "10 More" Official LSAT preptests, plus tests 46-57, is there a point to getting these books, or is it just the same problems reorganized?

It's the same problems reorganized, but you can only find PTs 1-40 grouped by type. You mentioned that you have "10 More" and "The Next 10", so you have PTs 19-38. You can buy PTs 1-20 grouped by type from Cambridge or Traciela and you would only overlap on PTs 19 and 20.


Ah I see. I forgot to mention, in addition to those books I also have PTs 46-57, and I plan on ordering the most recent on Amazon as well. I'm not taking the test anytime soon (next fall) so obviously I'd like to get through as many PTs as possible, if not all, but I've been hearing different stories about the usefulness of the older tests...are some of the LG games presented no longer in use, or will they still be useful as long as I progress to more recent ones as my test date nears?

The old LGs still provide good practice material. If you have the time, you would probably benefit from going through all of the games, and even doing them several times. Take a look at PithyPike's study guide, you might find that helpful.




Like I said, I still have a more than adequate amount of time to prepare. I've been looking over PithyPike's study guide, as well as the study plans outlined on the LSAT Blog, and I think I should be able to put together a solid plan based on the two of them as well my own constraints. Pulled a 155 on my first practice test (#29 FWIW), certainly lower than I hoped but time appears to be the major issue, and I guess that only improves with practice. Looking at 3.2 GPA with upward trend (is that the correct term?) so I'm really looking for a 170+.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: floatie, Instrumental, Lahtso Nuggin and 18 guests