Confused Splitter

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Scored 170 on the December LSAT and my LSAC gpa is 3.34 (considerably lower than the 3.51 that I/my UG institution thought I earned). I was planning on applying this cycle, but after getting my adjusted gpa I have decided to wait. I understand that many of the calculator tools are unfriendly to splitters, but even looking at LSN it seems that this gpa drop is going to significantly reduce my chances at my target schools. (UVA, gulc, gw, bu, bc). Since I can't do anything about my gpa should I retake my 170? The biggest reason I think that I can improve my score is that I went -8 on RC ( -0 LG, -6 LR). However, I am very concerned over what a score drop would do to my applications. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm

retake it if you think you can study enough to break 175. There's no reason to do it for just a few points but anything above 175 and you'll be in a great spot.

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I was under the impression that even a jump to 172-3 would do a lot of good for me at my target schools. Ideally I'd like to go to BU/BC.

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby benito » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Sure a 172-3 obviously beats a 170 and might do you some good, but I think the point is there is no guarantee you will hit it if that is the upper bounds of your ability and no guarantee you won't drop lower than your original score. If as feralinfant suggested you can study enough to where you reliably break 175 on PT's that tilts the risk/reward equation towards giving it a shot.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Also if BU, BC are your ideal schools then okay, and it might be enough to significantly tip the scales...but I bet you could almost certainly get into georgetown if you got up to 175 whereas, in any other situation it might be a little iffy. Also something to consider is that a school like georgetown averages your scores, unless they're six points apart or something like that, and then they'll take your higher one. So if you get a 176, you have a 176. If you get a 173, you'll have like a 172. Anyways just something to think about. I'm a splitter too, even worse off then you are. It really sucks. Good luck.

edit: I just checked, it's a five point discrepancy, but you get the idea.

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 pm

I just can't get an accurate measure of how I stack up at those two schools. LSN has plenty of people with similar numbers getting accepted, but there are some that also get rejected. I don't have any great softs, so I fear I would end up as part of the later category. I'm also at the point where it is retake and score higher or give up.

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 pm

feralinfant wrote:Also if BU, BC are your ideal schools then okay, and it might be enough to significantly tip the scales...but I bet you could almost certainly get into georgetown if you got up to 175 whereas, in any other situation it might be a little iffy. Also something to consider is that a school like georgetown averages your scores, unless they're six points apart or something like that, and then they'll take your higher one. So if you get a 176, you have a 176. If you get a 173, you'll have like a 172. Anyways just something to think about. I'm a splitter too, even worse off then you are. It really sucks. Good luck.

edit: I just checked, it's a five point discrepancy, but you get the idea.


I currently live in the Boston area and I would hate to have to relocate. I am throwing in apps in the Arlington/DC area because I have a successful friend who lives there and told me I can stay at his place free. Seems like the DC market is really chaotic and I don't have much interest in government so besides the free rent I wouldn't have much to gain.
Last edited by BrianOz1 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 pm

That makes sense. Did you mean you would hate to have to relocate?

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 pm

I would prefer not to relocate. Not something I see myself doing for a school outside of the T-14, which I considered a possibility until my GPA was lower than I expected. Maybe GW, but I'm really on the fence about that. My entire family is in New England.

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 pm

feralinfant wrote:That makes sense. Did you mean you would hate to have to relocate?


good call. Just saw that. Not even sure how I made that mistake.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm

BrianOz1 wrote:I was under the impression that even a jump to 172-3 would do a lot of good for me at my target schools. Ideally I'd like to go to BU/BC.


I really hate when people say "ED to UVA" but this thread is just screaming for that response........

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm

You'll get in G-town. No doubt about that-unless the rest of your application is horrible.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:28 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
BrianOz1 wrote:I was under the impression that even a jump to 172-3 would do a lot of good for me at my target schools. Ideally I'd like to go to BU/BC.


I really hate when people say "ED to UVA" but this thread is just screaming for that response........


He's not that big of a splitter. Yeah-he's GPA is on th lower side, but its not like it 2.7-3.1 to the point where he needs to apply to ED to UVA, or G-town etc.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Miracle wrote:You'll get in G-town. No doubt about that-unless the rest of your application is horrible.


Haha this is sort of how I was feeling about this thread, since that's where I've been looking to take my split...but hey, if you love Boston you love Boston.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Miracle wrote:You'll get in G-town. No doubt about that-unless the rest of your application is horrible.


Haha this is sort of how I was feeling about this thread, since that's where I've been looking to take my split...but hey, if you love Boston you love Boston.


What kind of a splitter are u?

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Well I have like a 2.9x most likely (I haven't actually had LSDAS calculate it yet), but with a really strong upward trend. And I got a 170 on the Dec test and I just took feb. and I felt better after it so I'm hoping for a 175+ but we'll see. As you can imagine I'm sort of losing my mind right now, since without getting above 175 my gpa is more or less going to ruin most of my chances.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:36 pm

feralinfant wrote:Well I have like a 2.9x most likely (I haven't actually had LSDAS calculate it yet), but with a really strong upward trend. And I got a 170 on the Dec test and I just took feb. and I felt better after it so I'm hoping for a 175+ but we'll see. As you can imagine I'm sort of losing my mind right now, since without getting above 175 my gpa is more or less going to ruin most of my chances.


What are your target schools?

You'll have a shot at G-town.

Did you apply this cycle or plan on applying next one?

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Either the next one, or even the one after that if I find a decent job. My plan is to just blanket a ton of schools, but G-town, Michigan, and Penn would be right up there in my top picks. I'll apply to northwestern if I can find some substantial we...(most everything i've done has been itinerant labor, roofing, putting up billboards, etc.) Otherwise maybe GW.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Judging by your interest are you a splitter as well?

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

feralinfant wrote:Either the next one, or even the one after that if I find a decent job. My plan is to just blanket a ton of schools, but G-town, Michigan, and Penn would be right up there in my top picks. I'll apply to northwestern if I can find some substantial we...(most everything i've done has been itinerant labor, roofing, putting up billboards, etc.) Otherwise maybe GW.


I got in Michigan-G town with 3.1 (rounded up), and 170+ lsat

Did you graduate already?

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah, I've been out of school for almost a year now...it's very strange.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby feralinfant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:48 pm

By the way, that is awesome to hear. Do you mind me asking if you had a gpa addendum with really exceptional circumstances (disasters, terminalish illnesses)?

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

I appreciate all of the optimism (UVA, G-town), but I have to see any evidence that would suggest that I would have a decent shot at either of these school.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 pm

BrianOz1 wrote:I appreciate all of the optimism (UVA, G-town), but I have to see any evidence that would suggest that I would have a decent shot at either of these school.


If you ED'd to either one you'd get in. This would give you a more than decent shot at both. Without ED, possibly in at Georgetown, WL/reject at UVA.

For UVA, you would almost certainly get in with ED and you would certainly NOT get in without it, with a 3.4/170. Trust me, I have a boring job, no life, and I research these things.

other schools like michigan and penn are up in the air. you have a much better chance at michigan though.

BrianOz1
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Confused Splitter

Postby BrianOz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
BrianOz1 wrote:I appreciate all of the optimism (UVA, G-town), but I have to see any evidence that would suggest that I would have a decent shot at either of these school.


If you ED'd to either one you'd get in. This would give you a more than decent shot at both. Without ED, possibly in at Georgetown, WL/reject at UVA.

For UVA, you would almost certainly get in with ED and you would certainly NOT get in without it, with a 3.4/170. Trust me, I have a boring job, no life, and I research these things.

other schools like michigan and penn are up in the air. you have a much better chance at michigan though.


In no means am I questioning your research, I am sure you know much more on this topic than I do, but I have seen people from this past cycle with similar numbers to mine not getting in to UVA ED. I was under the impression that they had gotten a little more selective.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anervouslsater, beancounter15, blueapple, btruj777, glockov, lawcapture, mathis1490, Mollie2014, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 17 guests