Sitting out a year...When should I take the LSAT?

SoPro

Sitting out a year...When should I take the LSAT?

Postby SoPro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll be graduating from undergrad this Spring, but I'm taking a year off to work. In other words, I'll be graduating from undergrad during the 2010-2011 year, but not starting law school until the 2012-2013 year.

With that being said, I have two questions.

1. Assuming a person is prepared for the LSAT and entering in the 2012-2013 year, what test (summer, fall) is optimal to ensure the highest LSAT curve?

2. This question is more personal: Although I'm graduating in the Spring, I have to take 12 hours of upper-level credit this summer (4 classes) spread out over three months -- therefore, it doesn't look like I'll have a lot of time to study until early August. Furthermore, I haven't studied at all thus far (nor taken any practice tests cold). I want to get three solid months of studying (definition of solid studying: 2-3 hours a day), which I can do prior to the June test, but unless there are some sizable benefits to taking in June, I'd rather wait. So obviously the question is, are there any benefits to taking in June, and if so, what are they?

99.9luft

Re: Sitting out a year...When should I take the LSAT?

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:21 pm

June is at noon
all others at 8 am

Depending on your diag score, and based on how much time you can devote to studying while working, you may need longer than 3 months.

Come back when you get a diag score. It really doesn't matter what test you take in terms of the curve. Just be prepared for the test.

sch6les

Postby sch6les » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks. Any other thoughts?

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 pm

i am taking 2 years off to work (graduating in Spring as well) and will be taking the LSAT this October.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:05 am

I'm graduating this May and am registered to take the LSAT next October. I figure it gives me enough time to prep without school as an issue. Plus August and September I will be living at my parents home, and it will be a much more *ahem* study-friendly enviornment than my current apartment.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am

One other big benefit to June that no one has mentioned is the fact that it gives you a second chance to apply early. If you take it in June and bomb for some reason (or realize you're not ready by then and not take it at all), you can then keep studying for October. With an October score, you can still apply relatively early in they admissions cycle. If you take October as your first time, though, and bomb it or don't take it, then you have to retake in December. And applying with a December score means that you don't have the edge of applying early.

Postby 2014 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 pm

bp colin wrote:One other big benefit to June that no one has mentioned is the fact that it gives you a second chance to apply early. If you take it in June and bomb for some reason (or realize you're not ready by then and not take it at all), you can then keep studying for October. With an October score, you can still apply relatively early in they admissions cycle. If you take October as your first time, though, and bomb it or don't take it, then you have to retake in December. And applying with a December score means that you don't have the edge of applying early.

++++

June first, go in fully prepared. If you don't do as hot as you wanted, you have October for retake.

October and December traditionally have better "curves" while June has the worst, but that isn't enough to justify October being your first go at it if you have time to sufficiently prepare for June.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm

2014 wrote:
bp colin wrote:One other big benefit to June that no one has mentioned is the fact that it gives you a second chance to apply early. If you take it in June and bomb for some reason (or realize you're not ready by then and not take it at all), you can then keep studying for October. With an October score, you can still apply relatively early in they admissions cycle. If you take October as your first time, though, and bomb it or don't take it, then you have to retake in December. And applying with a December score means that you don't have the edge of applying early.

++++

June first, go in fully prepared. If you don't do as hot as you wanted, you have October for retake.

October and December traditionally have better "curves" while June has the worst, but that isn't enough to justify October being your first go at it if you have time to sufficiently prepare for June.

With schoolwork I won't have enough time to prep really well (shooting for 15+ point jump from cold diagnostic), if I wait until October I get plenty of time, rather than just half of May with no classes. Is an October test date going to limit where I can apply for the following year considerably?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”