Prephrasing in LR

Prephrasing in LR

Postby tmc07d » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to prephrasing in LR. Or possibly what you look for before choosing an answer choice.

Re: Prephrasing in LR

Postby cmob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Prephrasing is typically done by actively evaluating why the question is giving you certain information or using words like "some","never", or "always". Once you are intensely familiar with the argument structure (premises - assumption - conclusion), it's pretty easy to see that the author is leading you in a certain direction. At that point, all you need to do is understand the part of the argument that the author leaves out or how the structure is weak. The answer will very closely resemble that understanding.

For example, on the "what statement, if correct, would most likely account for the obvious discrepancy of results" questions, I just use common sense. I read through as if I were trying to find a possible way that the author is wrong (usually only one way, since there is one correct answer) and I'm looking at the answers as if I'm looking for a certain phrase as opposed to going one-by-one for the "I guess this could work" answer.

Seems simple, but I find that the argument structure mindset is a prerequisite for knowing what the answer is.

Postby kmichlew » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:57 pm

It really depends on the question type, but here's a more general approach.

Read the question first and underline what they're asking (strengthen, weaken, flaw, assumption, etc) so that you know exactly what I'm looking for. ALWAYS look for the conclusion first (look for your transition words - ex: however), underline it, and find the argument(s) for the conclusion. Read critically, and look for gaps between the reasoning and the conclusion. A lot of times, you'll need to figure out on what the author is relying (assuming) in order to make the conclusion. It won't be stated.

Then, come up with your own answer before looking at the answer choices so that they don't influence you. Don't say "maybe this will work." Instead, focus on the flaws in the answer choices and why they won't work. Process of elimination, and VOILA! The correct answer.

Postby bearsfan1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:13 pm

tmc07d wrote:Does anyone have any tips when it comes to prephrasing in LR. Or possibly what you look for before choosing an answer choice.

LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible. Purchase it, finish the problems, and all of your questions concerning LR will be answered. I struggled with LR before purchasing this book, and ended up with a 170 LSAT (before the book, the only questions I was consistently missing were on the LR). The book is only like $30 off of Amazon and is worth every penny. In fact, since it boosted by grade so much and will likely mean the difference in thousands of dollars with regards to scholarships, it is worth much, much more than simply $30. BUY IT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”