LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

daminor
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby daminor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 am

Has anyone taken the Princeton Review LSAT preparation course? Was it helpful? Is that enough preparation considering that you complete all of the homework and study in addition to the class to take the June 2011 LSAT? Please take note that i am also currently studying a book on logic games since this is my most challenging subject. The class starts 3/26 and continues up until the test date June 4. I will have about 1 month and 1/2 of self study prior to taking the course if I decide to take it in June.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby glewz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am

General consensus = TestMasters course (testmasters.net) or self study with Powerscore (powerscore.com) books


If you choose testmasters, make sure you go with testmasters.net, not testmasters.com. Apparently the latter website is a scam.


Best luck.

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby EarlCat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 am

daminor wrote:Has anyone taken the Princeton Review LSAT preparation course? Was it helpful? Is that enough preparation considering that you complete all of the homework and study in addition to the class to take the June 2011 LSAT? Please take note that i am also currently studying a book on logic games since this is my most challenging subject. The class starts 3/26 and continues up until the test date June 4. I will have about 1 month and 1/2 of self study prior to taking the course if I decide to take it in June.


I hope you checked out who is teaching the course. The quality of the instructor (regardless whose logo is on the books) is going to make or break your class.

I taught for TPR. If you're taking the Hyperlearning class, you're getting more than enough to study with. I recommend not using anyone else's books because the methods will be different, and mixing methods is usually just a way to mess things up. Do what your instructor says the way your instructor says to. If you want to get started early, see if your instructor will give you a few discounted tutoring sessions.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:31 pm

daminor wrote:Is that enough preparation considering that you complete all of the homework and study in addition to the class to take the June 2011 LSAT?

Another TPR teacher here. You get access to all released PrepTests, so it will be plenty. You'll want to clear up your schedule as much as you can for the duration of the course, because you're going to have a lot of homework from the class. And I mean a LOT.

If you sign up in advance, you can get the books, access to the online resources, etc., as soon as you pay for the course (possibly as soon as you put down a deposit), so if you want a head start, that's probably the way to go.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby glewz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:29 pm


daminor
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby daminor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks Everyone! Here's the thing, I started studying with Cracking the LSAT and didn't really benefit and learn from it. I have purchased the Powerscore bibles and these have been extremely helpful well at least the Games bible, the one that I am currently reading now. I did hear that the Princeton Review course was a very good course and I heard a few bad reviews for Powerscore courses not to mention the horrible customer service when I called to inquire about the class.

I want to make sure that I am giving myself enough time as well as supplement with a class for the structure. Based on feedback below it appears that it may be difficult to take the PR class if I am learning the Powerscore way so it may be best to self study. Looks like the October test may be a better pick...

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby onthecusp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:09 am

daminor wrote:Has anyone taken the Princeton Review LSAT preparation course? Was it helpful? Is that enough preparation considering that you complete all of the homework and study in addition to the class to take the June 2011 LSAT? Please take note that i am also currently studying a book on logic games since this is my most challenging subject. The class starts 3/26 and continues up until the test date June 4. I will have about 1 month and 1/2 of self study prior to taking the course if I decide to take it in June.


They are S H I T. Buy the Bibles and all the PT's, save a ton of money, get a higher score.

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby EarlCat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 pm

onthecusp wrote:They are S H I T.


Why?

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby AverageTutoring » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:19 pm

EarlCat wrote:
daminor wrote:Has anyone taken the Princeton Review LSAT preparation course? Was it helpful? Is that enough preparation considering that you complete all of the homework and study in addition to the class to take the June 2011 LSAT? Please take note that i am also currently studying a book on logic games since this is my most challenging subject. The class starts 3/26 and continues up until the test date June 4. I will have about 1 month and 1/2 of self study prior to taking the course if I decide to take it in June.


I hope you checked out who is teaching the course. The quality of the instructor (regardless whose logo is on the books) is going to make or break your class.

I taught for TPR. If you're taking the Hyperlearning class, you're getting more than enough to study with. I recommend not using anyone else's books because the methods will be different, and mixing methods is usually just a way to mess things up. Do what your instructor says the way your instructor says to. If you want to get started early, see if your instructor will give you a few discounted tutoring sessions.


I'm not entirely on board with this statement. I often encourage my students to become acquainted with a variety of methods so that they can choose which one works best for them. Obviously I give them direction and let them know what I think is best, and why, but sometimes this shit just comes down to different strokes for different folks and I would be remiss if one of my students performed more poorly on a section then the had to because they were following my instruction to a T.

daminor
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby daminor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:52 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
EarlCat wrote:
daminor wrote:Has anyone taken the Princeton Review LSAT preparation course? Was it helpful? Is that enough preparation considering that you complete all of the homework and study in addition to the class to take the June 2011 LSAT? Please take note that i am also currently studying a book on logic games since this is my most challenging subject. The class starts 3/26 and continues up until the test date June 4. I will have about 1 month and 1/2 of self study prior to taking the course if I decide to take it in June.


I hope you checked out who is teaching the course. The quality of the instructor (regardless whose logo is on the books) is going to make or break your class.

I taught for TPR. If you're taking the Hyperlearning class, you're getting more than enough to study with. I recommend not using anyone else's books because the methods will be different, and mixing methods is usually just a way to mess things up. Do what your instructor says the way your instructor says to. If you want to get started early, see if your instructor will give you a few discounted tutoring sessions.


I'm not entirely on board with this statement. I often encourage my students to become acquainted with a variety of methods so that they can choose which one works best for them. Obviously I give them direction and let them know what I think is best, and why, but sometimes this shit just comes down to different strokes for different folks and I would be remiss if one of my students performed more poorly on a section then the had to because they were following my instruction to a T.


Thank you for that as I am actually utilizing different material to see what works for me. This is very helpful! Thank you!

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby jeremysen » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:33 pm

buddy, i'm pretty sure that princeton review Just came out with their intensive course within the last 3 years. prior to that, they didnt require top 98/99% instructors.

Go TM or self-stud Powerscore.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:51 pm

i used the princeton review hyperlearning course. My teachers were fantastic and very helpful/knowledgeable. You get access to a lot of official lsat tests ( but you hve to print them out), and a lot of books. The course started out pretty slow because there were a wide range of ability levels, so they had to make sure no one got totally confused. I augmented this with the powerscore triology, and while the verbage was different, the techniques were very similar. Make sure you pay attention and do all of hte homework. IN addition- do every thing 3 times. The first time through just try to get the important information and be able to identify what they are asking. The second time eliminate all answer choices and explain, and the third time work on speed while keeping accuracy high. ( When you get throught he game types, and LR question types, pick one technique that you like and use it). Make sure to give yourself enough time from after the course to the day of the lsat so you can finetune your weak areas, and get your strategy down pat. I did more homework than was assigned, not because i was gunning, but because i really wanted to do it right. The teachers that i had were very helpful and were willing to stay online later and answer questions.

ITs a good place to get your techniques down, and there are ususally specials to lessen the sticker shock. You will have to devote a lot of time to it, but if you are trully dedicated to improving your score, you should see some improvement over the diagnostic. Make sure to do the 10 most recent exams prior to sitting for the test. You can do it.

daminor
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby daminor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 pm

northwood wrote:i used the princeton review hyperlearning course. My teachers were fantastic and very helpful/knowledgeable. You get access to a lot of official lsat tests ( but you hve to print them out), and a lot of books. The course started out pretty slow because there were a wide range of ability levels, so they had to make sure no one got totally confused. I augmented this with the powerscore triology, and while the verbage was different, the techniques were very similar. Make sure you pay attention and do all of hte homework. IN addition- do every thing 3 times. The first time through just try to get the important information and be able to identify what they are asking. The second time eliminate all answer choices and explain, and the third time work on speed while keeping accuracy high. ( When you get throught he game types, and LR question types, pick one technique that you like and use it). Make sure to give yourself enough time from after the course to the day of the lsat so you can finetune your weak areas, and get your strategy down pat. I did more homework than was assigned, not because i was gunning, but because i really wanted to do it right. The teachers that i had were very helpful and were willing to stay online later and answer questions.

ITs a good place to get your techniques down, and there are ususally specials to lessen the sticker shock. You will have to devote a lot of time to it, but if you are trully dedicated to improving your score, you should see some improvement over the diagnostic. Make sure to do the 10 most recent exams prior to sitting for the test. You can do it.


Wow! This is very helpful! Actually, I plan to take the class prior to my 1st LSAT and I am also working through the PS books as well. How much additional prep did you take post the class? I'm hearing that if you dedicate yourself to paying attention in the class, completing all homework, taking practice tests, and additional study time in the class, it would be comprehensive enough for you to sit for the exam. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm

daminor wrote:
northwood wrote:i used the princeton review hyperlearning course. My teachers were fantastic and very helpful/knowledgeable. You get access to a lot of official lsat tests ( but you hve to print them out), and a lot of books. The course started out pretty slow because there were a wide range of ability levels, so they had to make sure no one got totally confused. I augmented this with the powerscore triology, and while the verbage was different, the techniques were very similar. Make sure you pay attention and do all of hte homework. IN addition- do every thing 3 times. The first time through just try to get the important information and be able to identify what they are asking. The second time eliminate all answer choices and explain, and the third time work on speed while keeping accuracy high. ( When you get throught he game types, and LR question types, pick one technique that you like and use it). Make sure to give yourself enough time from after the course to the day of the lsat so you can finetune your weak areas, and get your strategy down pat. I did more homework than was assigned, not because i was gunning, but because i really wanted to do it right. The teachers that i had were very helpful and were willing to stay online later and answer questions.

ITs a good place to get your techniques down, and there are ususally specials to lessen the sticker shock. You will have to devote a lot of time to it, but if you are trully dedicated to improving your score, you should see some improvement over the diagnostic. Make sure to do the 10 most recent exams prior to sitting for the test. You can do it.


Wow! This is very helpful! Actually, I plan to take the class prior to my 1st LSAT and I am also working through the PS books as well. How much additional prep did you take post the class? I'm hearing that if you dedicate yourself to paying attention in the class, completing all homework, taking practice tests, and additional study time in the class, it would be comprehensive enough for you to sit for the exam. What are your thoughts? Thank you!


I spent a month and a half after the class to prep. I did 2-3 full lenght prept tests, and drilled my weak areas. still spent 2-3 hours a day, minus the prep test days. You should be ready, granted as long as you keep after it, and feel confident.

User avatar
mac35352
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby mac35352 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 am

If you are planning on taking the class the only self study I recommend is preptests. If you study from the PS bibles and then the PR class you will be confused and wasting your time switching methods.
As for why are the bibles the s h I t? The LR bible explains every imaginable type of question and gives you plenty of tips and tools to use in this section, improve your accuracy, helps you prephasing, recognizing the right answers, etc.
The LG bible will primarily teach you to diagram the games, learn how to make inferences, and improve your timing.
I think self study with the right material and being consistent are as good as any class. And if you think you lack the motivation to do it on your own, keep in mind that there will be hw from the class that you will have to do by yourself anyways.

daminor
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

Re: LSAT Preparation- Princeton Review Course

Postby daminor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

mac35352 wrote:If you are planning on taking the class the only self study I recommend is preptests. If you study from the PS bibles and then the PR class you will be confused and wasting your time switching methods.
As for why are the bibles the s h I t? The LR bible explains every imaginable type of question and gives you plenty of tips and tools to use in this section, improve your accuracy, helps you prephasing, recognizing the right answers, etc.
The LG bible will primarily teach you to diagram the games, learn how to make inferences, and improve your timing.
I think self study with the right material and being consistent are as good as any class. And if you think you lack the motivation to do it on your own, keep in mind that there will be hw from the class that you will have to do by yourself anyways.



Thank you both!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anervouslsater, Baidu [Spider], beancounter15, blueapple, btruj777, DumbHollywoodActor, mathis1490, mintme, Mollie2014, mrgstephe, tuesdayninja and 13 guests