How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

rubydandun
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 am

How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby rubydandun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:34 pm

I'll admit, I've always hated the LG and I've always been bad at puzzles, games, things that require a great attention to detail and purely abstract logic. I keep hearing that this is the "most learnable" part of the test. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN and HOW DO I DO IT?!

I get around -10 to -12 total from the two LRs and RC and then like -10 on LG. What the heck do I have to do? This section scares me and my only hope is how "learnable" people say they are. I literally have trouble understanding the rules and seeing the inferences, and I cannot memorize the rules to save my life, they are just too abstract. I need context, which is probably why I'm much better at LR.

I'm prepping for June after a cancel and am thinking I'll go through the LGB with brute force and then just practice and analyze mistakes until I can get -5 or less. Any advice is welcomed. Maybe I'm just naturally bad at the skills tested on LG?

I'm thinking I should just try and perfect LR and RC to -1 or -2 each section so that my score can tolerate the blow from LG. But there's no guarantee I can keep improving on LR and RC, I may have maxed out (used to get around -6 per section on LR and now down to -3 or -4, on gameday I finished with time left which was a shocker. with RC i always have around 1-2 questions left and feel rushed the whole time. I think I can improve how I read the passages?)

Advice welcome. Thank you.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Get the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, and work through every single problem on every single page.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Cut your losses. If you are regularly getting >-6 quickly identify the shortest game, some have as few as 5 questions, and completely cut it out. I did this, got a perfect score on the other 3 by spending increased time, and managed to get 1 of the 5q's right by chance. This gave me a -4.

It isn't perfect, but it makes a 170 possible.

rubydandun
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby rubydandun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Hm. The problem I have now is, how do I maintain all the gains I made in LR and RC for Feb (improved to about -3 for each section from around -6) while focusing on LG.

What's the best thing to do for maintenance?

vamos
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:50 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby vamos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Cupidity wrote:Cut your losses. If you are regularly getting >-6 quickly identify the shortest game, some have as few as 5 questions, and completely cut it out. I did this, got a perfect score on the other 3 by spending increased time, and managed to get 1 of the 5q's right by chance. This gave me a -4.

It isn't perfect, but it makes a 170 possible.

I disagree with this advice because you might skip the easiest game. The most recent PT (Dec 10) had an easy 5 question game, and as far as I know, easy 5 question games appear frequently. What I do recommend is PithyPike's study guide for LG. After doing tons of games you'll get comfortable diagramming them. Also, if a particular game gives you trouble, do it again and see where you went wrong. Make sure you learn from your mistakes and don't let them happen again.

I'm not the best at LG either, I finish between 2.5 - 3 games on average, but I rarely miss any question that I attempt, so take my advice for what it's worth.

User avatar
Ganesh
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby Ganesh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:42 pm

They are learnable, don't give up. Do what everyone is saying and buy the LGB. Take it seriously. You might also want to make copies of a bunch of earlier logic games before getting into the newer ones, and cycle through those. Don't just skip a game every test. You can do this.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:57 am

Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and go back to the fundamentals. The LG bible will help you build a solid strategy so I suggest you work through it and drill the relevant game types according to each section of the bible. After you complete the bible print off 3 copies of each LG section (as many sections as you think you can complete depending on time constraints). Time yourself doing the section with a stopwatch and write your final time at the top of each page and number right/wrong (do not sacrifice your accuracy to go faster, you will focus on getting faster the second and third time you take the section). Giving yourself a week or two in between each time you repeat the same section, continue to time yourself with a stopwatch and record the time and number of answers right/wrong. Try to develop personalized strategies to get faster and more consistent with each section. The time it takes you to complete LG sections should decrease substantially and will carry over to the full length PT sections that you take.

By reading through the bible and by using the method above for drilling you should be able to develop a very solid LG score.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby Pleasye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:02 am

naterj wrote:Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and go back to the fundamentals. The LG bible will help you build a solid strategy so I suggest you work through it and drill the relevant game types according to each section of the bible. After you complete the bible print off 3 copies of each LG section (as many sections as you think you can complete depending on time constraints). Time yourself doing the section with a stopwatch and write your final time at the top of each page and number right/wrong (do not sacrifice your accuracy to go faster, you will focus on getting faster the second and third time you take the section). Giving yourself a week or two in between each time you repeat the same section, continue to time yourself with a stopwatch and record the time and number of answers right/wrong. Try to develop personalized strategies to get faster and more consistent with each section. The time it takes you to complete LG sections should decrease substantially and will carry over to the full length PT sections that you take.

By reading through the bible and by using the method above for drilling you should be able to develop a very solid LG score.

This is exactly what I came here to say. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and you will get much much better at LG. Take it from someone who used to hate LG and think I would never ever be good at it.

Make copies of games and do them over and over and over. You will get better.

pbutta123
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby pbutta123 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 pm

^^^ YES!
I had same trouble on Logic Games...Averaged missing 10 - 12 questions because of either time or bad models, then I bought the powerscore logic games bible (i know it sounds like an advertisement!). After i worked through every question in the book and applied their strategy I only miss 2 questions in a TIMED game at most.... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
BTW, the logical reasoning bible is also an amazing workbook, however i think the reading comprehension one blows...

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 pm

pbutta123 wrote:^^^ YES!
I had same trouble on Logic Games...Averaged missing 10 - 12 questions because of either time or bad models, then I bought the powerscore logic games bible (i know it sounds like an advertisement!). After i worked through every question in the book and applied their strategy I only miss 2 questions in a TIMED game at most.... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
BTW, the logical reasoning bible is also an amazing workbook, however i think the reading comprehension one blows...


I used the logical reasoning bible and liked it. I considered purchasing the RC bible but after thinking about it, I kind of wondered how a textbook could teach RC. I never had a problem with LG so I never used the LG bible, but if the LG bible is anything like the logical reasoning bible I would definitely suggest purchasing it. It's probably something like $30 if you order it off of Amazon. If you're needing help with all 3, I think I remembered seeing some kind of a package deal that had LG, LR, and RC books for like $70 or something.

For some reason I instantly understood the LG, the first practice LSAT that I took I think I missed like 2 or 3 on the LG. For what it's worth, I ALWAYS draw a diagram from the clues and then I use that diagram over and over for each problem. I found that using the same diagram, as opposed to creating a new diagram for each problem saved quite a bit of time. Good luck!

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby kruiz88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Get the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, and work through every single problem on every single page.

User avatar
apple1234
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby apple1234 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Cupidity wrote:Cut your losses. If you are regularly getting >-6 quickly identify the shortest game, some have as few as 5 questions, and completely cut it out. I did this, got a perfect score on the other 3 by spending increased time, and managed to get 1 of the 5q's right by chance. This gave me a -4.

It isn't perfect, but it makes a 170 possible.


This. When I started out I was -8 or -9 on LG and -2 or -3 on everything else. After trying for MONTHS to improve my LG score I had to cut my losses and ended up with -5 on that section. Not the best case senario but could have been worse.....

User avatar
she&him
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:26 am

Re: How do I crack these LGs? They're killing my score

Postby she&him » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 am

Pleasye wrote:This is exactly what I came here to say. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and you will get much much better at LG. Take it from someone who used to hate LG and think I would never ever be good at it.

Make copies of games and do them over and over and over. You will get better.


This. LG was something that I always dreaded, but it ended up becoming a section that I used as a slight break from the other longer, reading intensive ones. It's all about finding the balance between the skills needed for LG and those needed for RC/LR. I always had a lot of trouble switching mindsets between the two, but I find that while speed is really needed for RC/LR, when I calmed down and allowed myself some time on the LG, my scores would be higher. Additionally I personally never got the Bibles but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I personally bought just about all of the released LSAC official tests that I could get my hands on and did prep test after prep test, copying and redoing the LG questions I missed, until I could do them quicker. Originally I could only complete 2 LGs during the 35 minutes, and often with mistakes. It definitely didn't come naturally for me. However, by my LSAT, I was either golden for 3 (and an unfortunate -5) or else pretty close to -3,-2 on LGs.

Also when you do the timed practices make sure that they are timed. Even if you feel calm, you need to accurately understand how set up you are time wise. Don't give yourself an extra 20 seconds for that last question. It isn't realistic.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests