180 LSAT tutors

DonnaDraper

180 LSAT tutors

Postby DonnaDraper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:04 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Does anyone on TLS know anything about this? If so...thoughts?

luckyme

Re: 180 LSAT tutors

Postby luckyme » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:07 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:http://180lsattutor.com/Home_Page.html

Does anyone on TLS know anything about this? If so...thoughts?

website looks pretty sketch

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:15 pm

http://www.zenof180.com/2009/08/welcome ... -lsat.html

According to this, roughly 30 people scored a 180 on the LSAT in 2008.

I'd be skeptical about a company who claims all of their tutors have scored a 180 on an actual LSAT administration.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 pm

The Gentleman wrote:http://www.zenof180.com/2009/08/welcome-to-first-week-of-lsat.html

According to this, roughly 30 people scored a 180 on the LSAT in 2008.

I'd be skeptical about a company who claims all of their tutors have scored a 180 on an actual LSAT administration.

Also, I doubt a 180 scorer would be a noticeably better teacher than someone with a 173.

There is a hump on the LSAT where you can do all the hard questions correctly. The rest is consistency, timing and attention to detail. If someone can consistently get a 173, I doubt there is an LSAT question they wouldn't understand.

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I don't doubt that a 173 could be as good of a teacher as a 180, and yes, website is sketch. It is also a little weird to me that I have never heard of this before. The main draw to me anyway is the $100 an hour which is very cheap for LSAT tutoring. I wonder if it is worth checking out. And when it comes to being skeptical about a tutors score...couldn't I just ask to see their score report? Would that be rude?

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:I don't doubt that a 173 could be as good of a teacher as a 180, and yes, website is sketch. It is also a little weird to me that I have never heard of this before. The main draw to me anyway is the $100 an hour which is very cheap for LSAT tutoring. I wonder if it is worth checking out. And when it comes to being skeptical about a tutors score...couldn't I just ask to see their score report? Would that be rude?

Actually, if you're on a budget, several mom and pop companies will go lower than $100 an hour. I tutored with a company that charged $60 an hour when I prepped, and I now tutor for a company that charges $60 an hour. When companies aren't using their own licensed materials and don't have a lot of overhead, prices often drop. Something to consider. These guys sound like nothing but a mom and pop that's charging more than they are worth.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:47 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:I don't doubt that a 173 could be as good of a teacher as a 180, and yes, website is sketch. It is also a little weird to me that I have never heard of this before. The main draw to me anyway is the $100 an hour which is very cheap for LSAT tutoring. I wonder if it is worth checking out. And when it comes to being skeptical about a tutors score...couldn't I just ask to see their score report? Would that be rude?

Teach yourself for the price of the power score bibles.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I doubt a 180 scorer would be a noticeably better teacher than someone with a 173.

^This. We advertise our tutors' LSAT scores because the market seems to demand it. But I don't see a correlation between the score (after a certain threshold) and ability as a tutor. I look for, inter alia, social skills such as empathy, patience and humor. Most of us have experienced the brilliant grad assistant in an UG class who couldn't teach his/her way out of a paper bag. Zenof180 guy is amazing not just for his LSAT score, but also because of his teaching skill and experience.

Here's what's important to ask any prep company: What scores are your clients getting? May I have a reference/speak to someone who gave a testimonial on your website? May I change to a different tutor if I'm not compatible with the one I'm assigned? Must I purchase a minimum number of hours, or can I use your service only occasionally if I get stuck? Do you offer free phone and email support between sessions?

The flip side of this is the low standard to qualify as an instructor some of the major companies seem to have.

This small LSAT world is full of gimmicks. One of my least favorites is the "guarantee" of an improved score. But that's a rant for another day.

edit for typo

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:06 pm

I know I'm ridiculously late to be joining this months old discussion, but I'm pretty sure that the "180 LSAT Tutors" company does indeed only use tutors who've score a 180...but I bet there's only one or two tutors with this company. If I had to wager, I'd say this is one guy trying to make his upstart operation look bigger than it is...

I once knew a guy in Toronto who scored a 17x. Not sure what the exact score was. Then he started an LSAT company advertising that all tutors scored in at least the 99.x% - - - basically, he could comfortably advertise that all tutors were above a certain very high, very arbitrary cutoff, because he was the sole practitioner.

Any tutoring company that advertises an extremely high threshhold or an extremely arbitrary threshhold? Probably an extremely small company. (And I don't mean 99th Percentile, which is common with many companies - blueprint, Manhattan, etc...)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”