How Accurate are Older Reading Comp Sections?

candycat

How Accurate are Older Reading Comp Sections?

Postby candycat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 am

I'm currently doing RC section practice using older tests (specifically Ptest 25, 36 this week). They don't have comparative passages, which I know is now included in LSAT RC. Are the RC questions/passage difficulty on these older tests similar to recent RC ? Or are they easier :(?

benito

Re: How Accurate are Older Reading Comp Sections?

Postby benito » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 pm

I think you would get a pretty wide range of responses to this question based on what point in their studies people did the older or the newer RC sections, in my opinion they had become more difficult in the more recent tests. However, if the question is whether the older RC sections are still good practice the answer is yes. You still have to read and digest unfamiliar material you likely have no interest in under time pressure, and though the questions MAY be a bit easier on the older PT's the discrepancy is not nearly large enough to render them useless. Just make sure you do enough sections that include the comparative reading before test day.

candycat

Postby candycat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

^ thank you! :)

Ganesh

Postby Ganesh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Definitely agree with Benito, and would add that the new comparative passages were much harder at least for me, and took a lot more time than the regular passages. When taking old tests, I tried to finish early so I could budget more time for the comparative ones.

SLS_AMG

Postby SLS_AMG » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Like many people on this board, I'm of the opinion that RC has gotten more difficult in recent years, but that in no way indicates that older RC sections are without value. The passages themselves are not of greater or lesser difficulty nowadays; rather, it seems that the questions are what have become harder. It seems like the newer tests have answers that are more difficult to eliminate and more often hinge on nitpicky details, which is quite frustrating given the speed you're required to work at. I found myself debating between two seemingly identical answers more often on newer tests, and answers to many of the main point questions seem to have become less "ideal"; in the past the correct answers seemed to usually summarize passages and their ideas quite well, whereas lately it's more often that you have to select the "least bad" answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”