improving vocabulary and diction

senorhosh

improving vocabulary and diction

Postby senorhosh » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 pm

I have a problem. I have a difficult time expressing my thoughts into writing of speech. For example, when writing an essay, I have to keep erasing my sentences over and over again to find a better way of writing it down. Or when conversing with a person, i have *minor* but noticeable difficulty constructing sentences (not around friends but in interviews or more formal settings).

How can I improve this?

I remember an old SAT teacher of mine said to improve reading comp. and writing skills, the only way is to read.
So what books should I read, how much should I read, etc.?

And when will I see "results"?

Upton Sinclair

Re: improving vocabulary and diction

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 pm

This will not end well.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 pm

senorhosh wrote:I have a problem. I have a difficult time expressing my thoughts into writing of speech. For example, when writing an essay, I have to keep erasing my sentences over and over again to find a better way of writing it down. Or when conversing with a person, i have *minor* but noticeable difficulty constructing sentences (not around friends but in interviews or more formal settings).

How can I improve this?

I remember an old SAT teacher of mine said to improve reading comp. and writing skills, the only way is to read.

while seeing other people's writing might help with your own, the best way to improve at writing is to actually practice writing. Try taking classes that involve a lot of argumentative writing like philosophy or polisci.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:55 pm

senorhosh wrote:I have a problem. I have a difficult time expressing my thoughts into writing of speech. For example, when writing an essay, I have to keep erasing my sentences over and over again to find a better way of writing it down. Or when conversing with a person, i have *minor* but noticeable difficulty constructing sentences (not around friends but in interviews or more formal settings).

How can I improve this?

Do you have any minor damage to "Broca's area" in the frontal lobe?...

The book says that people who can actually understand but cannot speak fluently have a damage to Broca's area.

Is it your case?...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Ideally, go back in time and become a voracious reader, of all types of material, from the age of six.

Since that's pretty hard to do, you can certainly increase your consumption of written material now as an adult, but I'm not sure how much you can improve your writing skills in the short term.

By the time you've seen the same thought expressed a thousand different ways in a thousand different books written by authors ranging from A.A. Milne to Dostoevsky, you've internalized the varied structures and vocabulary. When it comes time to write an essay or letter (or whatever), you have a much greater resource in your own head to draw upon.

When I read an essay that has a painful lack of variety in sentence structure and style, it's nearly always written by someone who hasn't been a great reader their whole life.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”