The Official February 2011 Waiting Thread

classix

Re: The Official February 2011 Waiting Thread

Postby classix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 pm

jdl239 wrote:My money is going to be on a week from today. Dec scores came out on a Thursday

Thursday would be CRAY-ZEE. I would have a full business day to write emails to schools then!

classix

Postby classix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
classix wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
jdl239 wrote:My money is going to be on a week from today. Dec scores came out on a Thursday

No!!!! Please let it not be on Thursday! I am counting on NOT being able to check my score/being somewhere where I cannot obsessively refresh the LSAC website.

one option is to just post your LSAC username and password on this thread.

im sure people would check for you.

That is probably not a good idea though.

Ha, no. I almost thought of having someone else access it for me (if it was up by then) if I can't get internet at Newark airport (sigh, no data plan for phone :( ) but decided against it.

Maybe you can set up your email account to selective forward emails that have "LSAC" in the body to a friend that can check their email.

I don't know...haha maybe you can just call LSAC on that day?

Can't imagine a world without internet... 8)

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:22 pm

classix wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
classix wrote:
Ha, no. I almost thought of having someone else access it for me (if it was up by then) if I can't get internet at Newark airport (sigh, no data plan for phone :( ) but decided against it.

Maybe you can set up your email account to selective forward emails that have "LSAC" in the body to a friend that can check their email.

I don't know...haha maybe you can just call LSAC on that day?

Can't imagine a world without internet... 8)

or I can just wait to reach India, and check my email then. But the 15 hour flight will be painful (Esp. since I have midterms I need to work on on the flight).

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Has anyone found themselves constantly looking at scoring charts from past years trying to predict their score range? I think I am slowly going nuts. I want the score out, so I can move on with my life.

Postby 8675309 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 pm

risktaker wrote:Has anyone found themselves constantly looking at scoring charts from past years trying to predict their score range? I think I am slowly going nuts. I want the score out, so I can move on with my life.

Yeah I've done that. I obsessed about that when I was getting a massage the other day. Oh how relaxing, not.
Had my first LSAT nightmare last night. 152. And the proctor even let us cheat in it too. DAMN.

classix

Postby classix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 pm

risktaker wrote:Has anyone found themselves constantly looking at scoring charts from past years trying to predict their score range? I think I am slowly going nuts. I want the score out, so I can move on with my life.

which ones are you talking about?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Using those scoring charts and trying to predict score based on different curves.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Hmm, those made me weirdly hopeful. Also, I didn't realize that there were 102 questions on a test from the early 90's, I thought the one last year was the first one.

Lasker

Postby Lasker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
BM classical voice. Mezzo-soprano.

Where do you want to go for LS?

I'm increasingly leaning towards not going to law school at all. This whole thing started because I was concerned about not having enough piano teaching in the summer, so I thought I would take the LSAT in order to get a tutoring job that could tide me through. Then I found TLS and realized that my likely LSAT score would make me a competitive applicant anywhere except YS and maybe H. This came at a time when I was feeling very frustrated with my job and musical life generally - I have chronic tendonitis, contracted while in the conservatory, which makes playing the piano frequently pretty frustrating. I enjoy teaching a lot and find it very gratifying, but I also have other interests and desires that are NOT fulfilled by teaching or the very limited performing I am able to do. Imagining my attendance at a T14 or T6 school (or heck, its a fantasy, so lets just make it Harvard) and subsequent brilliant law career seemed like the balm for all my troubles.

But I eventually realized the grass is always greener on the other side - If I would seriously consider going to law school and working like a dog for the opportunity to continue working like a dog in a job that I don't even know if I would enjoy, why not buckle down and work that much harder trying to bring myself a more fulfilling musical career? Law school will still be there in the future. There were other factors, both pro and con, in my decision, but this confessional has gone on long enough!

I feel like you have posted it before, but I will return the question to you: Where are you hoping to go?

And more interestingly, why, or with what goal? What led you away from music?

I do recognize that we pianists have it a lot easier than voice or instrumental majors - employment for us is much more flexible and much less "all or nothing". If people think the salary distribution for law students is a crapshoot, they should look at, say, bassoon players, who have pretty much no possibility of earning a living by playing except in one of maybe 50 orchestras nationally, who only need 1-4 players each!

Actually I would like to open this question up to everyone here: Why are you going to LS? do you have a specific goal?

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm

risktaker wrote:http://www.cambridgelsat.com/swffile?key=cCOS0w2U%2f7CgHbNj%2bfi6hg%3d%3d

Using those scoring charts and trying to predict score based on different curves.

Oh my god, the -9 curves there are TERRIFYING.

(-8 even more so!)

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 pm

applepiecrust wrote:Oh my god, the -9 curves there are TERRIFYING.

(-8 even more so!)

Don't worry, those are anomalies, -10 and -11 are much more common, I imagine we'll get one of those. And no one will ever be able to prove me wrong, so I fee good making this assertion.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Lasker wrote:
I feel like you have posted it before, but I will return the question to you: Where are you hoping to go?

And more interestingly, why, or with what goal? What led you away from music?

I do recognize that we pianists have it a lot easier than voice or instrumental majors - employment for us is much more flexible and much less "all or nothing". If people think the salary distribution for law students is a crapshoot, they should look at, say, bassoon players, who have pretty much no possibility of earning a living by playing except in one of maybe 50 orchestras nationally, who only need 1-4 players each!

Actually I would like to open this question up to everyone here: Why are you going to LS? do you have a specific goal?

I'm hoping to go to UVA. I'm pretty sure it's the law school love of my life.

I decided against music, simply put, because it made me miserable far more often than it made me happy. I put a lot of pressure on myself and whenever I fell short of my own unrealistic expectations, I would start on a litany of "not good enough" until I broke down. I felt like I was always fighting, like my whole life was this epic uphill battle against myself, my body, my voice. I decided didn't want to spend my whole life fighting for scraps of praise from others or from myself, so I started to look to other avenues.

Additionally, I spent six months on the road with an opera singer friend, watching her son, and I got a pretty good taste of what the lifestyle is really like and there is no way that I could handle that long-term. It's too much traveling, too much time in unfamiliar places, too lonely. I don't know if you guys travel as much as singers do, but in that six months I had a total of about 3 weeks at home.

At the same time I was realizing I didn't want to pursue music professionally anymore, I was coming to terms with my sexuality and I think that, more than anything, led me to law. I had thought about law school before I started college (and even applied to some schools with that sort of focus, in case I didn't get into a conservatory) and the pieces seemed to fall together. It's something that I think I'll be good at -- it's a perfect synthesis of all of the things I'm really good at -- and it's something that I think can really make a difference. I want to do PI work, either criminal prosecution or stuff with LGBT rights. It's really important to me that the work I do have meaning and purpose and I feel like law does and like I can make a significant contribution to the legal world and help to affect change.

And I'll stop there, lest I bore everyone to death.

she&him

Postby she&him » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Gonna be road trippin' it up next Friday... if I get a 175 or above, I'll throw a party in the nearest city... I hope it's somewhere nice, otherwise some honky tonk bar will see the night of their lives.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

I retook in February, and haven't really been keeping up too much with LSAT threads, when are we realistically anticipating scores?

(my apologies for not sifting through previous pages, at work on my phone)

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 pm

JenDarby wrote:I retook in February, and haven't really been keeping up too much with LSAT threads, when are we realistically anticipating scores?

(my apologies for not sifting through previous pages, at work on my phone)

Probably next Friday. Some say Thursday since December results came out on a Thursday.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Probably next Friday. Some say Thursday since December results came out on a Thursday.

Thanks! Next Friday was my guess. Thursday or Friday, both are super soon.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm

she&him wrote:Gonna be road trippin' it up next Friday... if I get a 175 or above, I'll throw a party in the nearest city... I hope it's somewhere nice, otherwise some honky tonk bar will see the night of their lives.

I might be on the road as well...Going to be anywhere near CO or NE?

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Last edited by kulshan on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anamarie6658

Postby anamarie6658 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:46 pm

8675309 wrote:

Yeah I've done that. I obsessed about that when I was getting a massage the other day. Oh how relaxing, not.
Had my first LSAT nightmare last night. 152. And the proctor even let us cheat in it too. DAMN.

I had my first nightmare last night too. It was 830 am LSAT test day and I had lost track of time. I was still at my house, in my pajamas frantically trying to get my ticket, ID, money to bribe the proctor into letting me test still because I was late, and a snack. I woke up in a cold sweat before I got to leave in my dream. UGH this wait is driving me NUTS!

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 pm

kulshan wrote:
I do ethics

I really love this phrase for some reason...Also, any books you'd especially recommend? I've been trying to get through my giant stack of books before I end up back in school but what's two or ten more at this point?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Still waiting...

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Any of you sports fans in here? If so, which teams do you guys like? I like the SF Giants in baseball, SF 49ers in football, and the Sac Kings in basketball. Unfortunately, I stopped watching the Kings a couple years ago because I just couldn't stand how awful they had become. Now, they are planning on moving to Anaheim. If that happens, I don't think I will be a Kings fan anymore.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Last edited by kulshan on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:50 pm

I like both, although admittedly I am a lot more versed in the continental stuff. For instance after some pseudo-research on consequentialism I immediately thought of Sartre's story The Wall. Recently started ramping up on the analytic stuff since I got out of school and have a bit more time. Definitely takes a different breed though, Nietzsche is just so much more fun than Kant. Or maybe fun in a different way. Well I'm just rambling now. Thanks for the suggestion.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 pm

On an unrelated note...My aunt, my cousin (female) and our neighbor are all talking about the pros and cons of boob jobs. The general consensus seems to be thumbs down. But I'll pose the question here: yay or nay?

Some highlights:
I just think they should lie down when you do.
It's just not attractive if they're hanging down under your arm.
My sister was always getting them caught on sideview mirrors.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”