Proctor chatting on the phone, watching YouTube, eating, etc

justbubbles

Proctor chatting on the phone, watching YouTube, eating, etc

Postby justbubbles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Guys,

I wish this was a flame post, but sadly, I'm not trolling at all. :cry: You just can't make this stuff up... :(

Ok, here is my "proctor from hell" situation. I'm wondering if anyone can let me know as to what sorta remedy (if any) LSAC might offer or accommodate. :?

Long story short, I'm in a remote area (outside the US). LSAC arranged for me to go into this "academic facility" and take the test alone under the supervision of someone that LSAC would assign (ie. a "proctor"). But the experienced proctor had a baby-shitting emergency come up, so instead she sent in her teenage son to proctor my LSAT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, he admitted to me that he had never proctored this LSAT thing before. Like, duh! :roll: I was taken into a crummy/congested little office and I wrote the test on a computer table, with hardly any space for me to do anything. :cry: Among the misdeeds:

* The "proctor" was in his mom's office with me the whole time;
* He was watching YouTube videos on laptop w/ headphones (I told him to turn down the volume - several times!!!);
* He had phone calls come in (once - he went out to get a drink but the phone was ringing about 10x while I was doing the LG section!!! :evil: );
* He called "time's up" 7 minutes in advance for one of the LR sections (he didn't have an actual timer other than his stupid iPhone clock);
* He was eating chips, drinking a coke and even stepping out of his mom's office to laugh and chat loudly on the phone;
* And so much more! :o

Simply put, this was not only outrageous, but this is completely unacceptable.

I intend to file a formal grievance with LSAC first-thing Monday morning. But here's my question -- what can LSAC do about this given that I'm in for this cycle at most of my school choices? :x

Thanks!
Last edited by justbubbles on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chup

Re: Proctor chatting on the phone, watching YouTube, eating, etc

Postby chup » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Report that shit. It's unacceptable.

Unfortunately, LSAC has basically all the power in these sorts of situations. Most likely they'll offer you a refund and/or let you take the next administration for free.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Send a report to LSAC.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:17 pm

chup wrote:Report that shit. It's unacceptable.

Oh, no doubt I will! Thanks!

chup wrote:Most likely they'll offer you a refund and/or let you take the next administration for free.

From a distance, this seems fair and reasonable, but this doesn't do me any good for this cycle. :cry:

Anyone else have experience with reporting serious disruptions to LSAC?

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Holy shit.

You just had to be there. :cry:

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 pm

justbubbles wrote: But the experienced proctor had a baby-shitting emergency come up, so instead she sent in her teenage son to proctor mt LSAT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

That has to be one crazy emergency. I want no part of that.

Seriously though, that sucks

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 pm

You shoulda bribed him for extra time.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Definitely be working on the written complaint and get it faxed ASAP. Details will be your friend as it leaves less for them to guess about...

The longer you wait on sending it, the more it has the potential to come across as buyer's remorse.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 pm

justbubbles wrote:
From a distance, this seems fair and reasonable, but this doesn't do me any good for this cycle. :cry:

You probably shouldn't be taking the Feb test for this cycle anyway. Take the june test.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm

bergg007 wrote:You shoulda bribed him for extra time.

My thoughts exactly. SInce it's just the 2 of you in there. And clearly, he wasn't taking the proctor job very seriously. I wouldn't have hurt to ask.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:29 pm

chup wrote:Report that shit. It's unacceptable.

Unfortunately, LSAC has basically all the power in these sorts of situations. Most likely they'll offer you a refund and/or let you take the next administration for free.

Yeah, life sucks like that some times. Like trying to sue some asshole with no money or insurance, nothing you can really do about it.

bergg007 wrote:You shoulda bribed him for extra time.

I'll admit that if it was me and a teenaged dude in an office with no oversight, I totally would have bribed him. That's actually what makes me think the post is a flame.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Yeah... Shoulda tried to work out some type of deal with him. It's a shame that happened to you. So like if LSAC refunds you and everything... Does that test go on your record as a cancellation? Or is your slate just clean?

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 pm

C'mon, guys. I'm all up for shits & giggles... but seriously, I only have 2 days to get this into LSAC.

Anyone or anyone of anyone who had experiences with test center disruptions? If so, how did LSAC address those? :?

too old for this sh* wrote:Definitely be working on the written complaint and get it faxed ASAP. Details will be your friend as it leaves less for them to guess about...

The longer you wait on sending it, the more it has the potential to come across as buyer's remorse.

Oh, believe me. I am on it as we speak.

I will be faxing and UPS'ing it. I am even thinking of getting my dad's attorney on this. But I will wait to see what sorta resolution LSAC offers.

That's why I'm looking for some insights here.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:38 pm

justbubbles wrote:C'mon, guys. I'm all up for shits & giggles... but seriously, I only have 2 days to get this into LSAC.

Anyone or anyone of anyone who had experiences with test center disruptions? If so, how did LSAC address those? :?

too old for this sh* wrote:Definitely be working on the written complaint and get it faxed ASAP. Details will be your friend as it leaves less for them to guess about...

Oh, believe me. I am on it as we speak.

I will be faxing and UPS'ing it. I am even thinking of getting my dad's attorney on this. But I will wait to see what sorta resolution LSAC offers.

That's why I'm looking for some insights here.

Now I really think this is a flame. In case its not, what could you do if LSAC didn't offer you anything? Sue an association of lawyers for $200?

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:42 pm

2011Law wrote:Now I really think this is a flame. In case its not, what could you do if LSAC didn't offer you anything? Sue an association of lawyers for $200?

Ok, dude. If you don't have anything meaningful to offer, then please take your drivel elsewhere.

More importantly, it's not about money. I know I have the option to cancel the test because my performance was subpar due to all the distractions... but this was completely beyond my control.

This will affect my applications for this cycle.

chup

Postby chup » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:44 pm

justbubbles wrote:More importantly, it's not about money. I know I have the option to cancel the test because my performance was subpar due to all the distractions... but this was completely beyond my control.

Similar stuff has happened to people before. All they will do is offer you a refund/retake. They simply can't offer people the chance to take a test off-cycle. How would they even do that? They'd have to write a completely new test. For them it makes sense to have a hard-and-fast policy of offering refund/retake. It occasionally sucks for people like you who won't get anything out of those options, but that's all they're going to give you.

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 pm

chup wrote:Similar stuff has happened to people before. All they will do is offer you a refund/retake. They simply can't offer people the chance to take a test off-cycle. How would they even do that? They'd have to write a completely new test. For them it makes sense to have a hard-and-fast policy of offering refund/retake. It occasionally sucks for people like you who won't get anything out of those options, but that's all they're going to give you.

You're right... I guess in terms of a remedy, there's not much that they can do... although for people snowed in/Saturday Sabah, etc, they usually offer a different test on a weekday... I wonder if I can get that? :(

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 pm

They'll probably give you like 20 bonus points.

Seriously though, you file a complaint and they offer you a free retake. That's all you'll get, that's all anyone ever gets.

And +1 for should have bribed the kid.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:50 pm

justbubbles wrote:
2011Law wrote:Now I really think this is a flame. In case its not, what could you do if LSAC didn't offer you anything? Sue an association of lawyers for $200?

Ok, dude. If you don't have anything meaningful to offer, then please take your drivel elsewhere.

More importantly, it's not about money. I know I have the option to cancel the test because my performance was subpar due to all the distractions... but this was completely beyond my control.

I think the point he/she was making is that beyond the normal options provided by LSAC, there's not much that getting an attorney involved is going to accomplish.

But what a crappy situation!!! My heart honestly goes out to you and I really hope you get a good resolution from the LSAC, and that you end up at the school you were hoping for (in whichever cycle).

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 pm

piccolittle wrote:But what a crappy situation!!! My heart honestly goes out to you and I really hope you get a good resolution from the LSAC, and that you end up at the school you were hoping for (in whichever cycle).

Thank-you for your kind words. I appreciate the encouragement. :)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 pm

You should have waved your hands and said "Time is not up, move along" like Obi Wan Kenobi or something.

sch6les

Postby sch6les » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey OP, I'm sorry to hear that. I can't even fathom being in that situation after studying so hard. Like others have said, I doubt you'll get anything other than a free retake, but that definitely beats most, if not all of the LSAT horror stories I've heard on this forum.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:12 pm

you could have worked this situation to your benefit, but since you didn't then seek refund or something. I don't understand what in the hell you are seeking from us.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:13 pm

you should have offered him $200 to let you do wtvr u want.... :D

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm

GATORTIM wrote:you could have worked this situation to your benefit, but since you didn't then seek refund or something. I don't understand what in the hell you are seeking from us.

What's with the attitude? He/she was just wondering what LSAC could or would do, and sharing his/her story with us. Plus, you're suggesting he should have taken advantage of the proctor on a test for admission to a professional school and then an (ideally) ethical profession?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”