cancelling the lsat

northwood

cancelling the lsat

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:49 am

February LSATers:
Congragulations on taking the test! You deserve a nice relaxing night. However, Im sure there are many people who will wake up tomorrow and start over thinking your performance, and will be debating cancelling or keeping the score for a while. A word of advice.
make up your mind about your performance( and if you should cancel or not) by tonight. The test and how you felt you did are still fresh in your mind, and you havent been subjected to many freak out threads. If you think you performed within your pt average, then I would say keep it. The chances of you mis bubbling are very slim. If you finished each section, and had time to check your answers, you have no worries about mis bubbling ( and if you did for some reason, once you get your score back, you can always have it hand scored- if its a mis bubble lsac will acknowledge it and correct it for a fee). You will over analyze each question/ game/ passage and will be over thinking which experimental section you had, and your performance on the non exp. sections. This will lead to a greater level of anxiety than necessary. Dont pick up any prep material- just focus on getting your applications complete and turned in. you will be fine.

Also: Many school will let ONE cancel or absence slide. Having 2 of either ( or one of each) may make you look like you are nonc ommital about the test. If you have one bad score- keep it. you can always retake ( sure it may keep you out of the top 6,depending on your ability level, but the vast majority of schools just look at your best score).

Congragulations again on your performance today. Be confident in your ability and performance, and dont worry. the worst part is over, now its time to put your credentials to work and get into the best school for you as possible!
Best of Luck! Im sure you all did great!
Last edited by northwood on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatsobella

Re: cancelling the lsat

Postby fatsobella » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:01 pm

Good morning TLS!
That is very nice of Northwood to post that message! Thanks!
(you meant Feb takers? right ? )

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 pm

yea.. my fault

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Definitely take this advice. I thought I got a 168/69 leaving the test after a week of waiting at best a 165. Ended up with a 173. You never know unless you just guessed for a huge stretch.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 pm

My PT range was 169-180 with a 176 average. The test today did not go well, probably in line with my worst tests. Missed at least two in the games, maybe a lot more. I struggled with one RC passage, both LR went fine I think. If I had to guess I would say 168-172, could be a little better or worse than that. I have a 3.75 and am shooting for CCN/T14$$/t25$$$$. Would you recommend canceling in my situation?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm

no. I would keep the score. Chances are, people will perform worse on the real test than on their pt ( and think they did worse as well). With a low score of 168, you still can re take the test in june, and have a fantastic application all ready to go for september 1st. If you scored in the 170's then you are looking really good at all of your choices.

Once you start testing int he 170s and higher, you need a better curve to help you, more than a lot of testers. ( that way you have more room for error). worst case scenario is you re take the 168, and score higher. We can assume that these schools will average your scores, so you would have to score a 172 or better to be in the 170 range. If you are okay with that- keep it. if you dont want to risk this, then cancel. me, personaly, id keep it and try again in june.

Now, that being said, if you cancel this test, you will neeed to keep the next one. Either way, by cancelling and not being absent, law schools will know that you took the test, and got the experience of the actual test day environment ( complete with nerves and distractions). They may look at your second score a little closer, and see how it compares. ( im not an adcomm, so im not an authority on this). A cancel means the next one has to be kept, or you may come off as either a bad test taker, not sure of your abilities, or a flake who buckles under pressure. Best of luck, hope it helps.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards keeping it. I think it will come down to the curve, if it's a -12 like some of the recent tests I'll probably be alright.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”